Analyst: Sony to get PS4 out ahead of next Xbox

Friday, 21st October 2011 09:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony will get the jump on Microsoft and release PlayStation 4 before the next Xbox in 2014, according to one US analyst.

RW Baird’s Colin Sebastian guessed to IndustryGamers that neither platform holder will have new hardware ready for 2013, with both companies still looking to gain any money back from this generation.

“I doubt they will be ready for launch in 2013,” said Sebastian.

“Between Sony and Microsoft, we expect Sony to be first to market perhaps as early as 2013, but more likely in 2014. There is still a lot of investment for both companies to recoup in the current generation.”

Develop yesterday rumoured a 2013 E3 unveil and launch for the next Xbox, as well as speculating that some first-party Sony studios had kicked off development on PS4 titles.

1. Blerk

Get away!

2. mojo

hes “guessing”
    kinda sums it up.

3. OrbitMonkey

Keyword their being “guessed” ;)

4. awaltzforvenus

Didn’t both companies already say they expected their current consoles to be their prime offerings until 2015? If both companies think they can expect to have killer returns on new hardware in 2014, they should get their heads checked. People are still budgeting for the current gen; a new $500-600 PS4 is suicide.

5. Gama_888

i said this in the thread last night -_-
    This analyst guy stole my opinion ;)

6. Christopher Jack

I agree with him, except for the fact that Sony is almost always late to the party but I’d imagine that they wouldn’t want MS to get such a great jump on them again. They certainly won’t price it the same again.

7. Anders

It’ll be interesting to see whether Sony och Microsoft will take a note from Nintendo and try to make a profit on the hardware from release.

8. OrbitMonkey

I’m no analyst, but I reckon the only major hardware difference between 360/ps3 next gen, will be the different coloured plastic casing o_O

9. Kabby

Analist is the proper term for these people.

10. Gheritt White

If MS release later than 2013, I will eat my hat.

11. Clupula

@8 – well, then they won’t be selling very much hardware. They have to show a HUGE jump from the PS3/360, especially in graphics, if they intend on people buying the new systems. Most console gamers are fine with their PS3 and 360 these days.

Anyway, I hate professional guessers. Never understand why people pay them any attention.

12. freedoms_stain

@11, I think he means the difference between the next generation hardware to each other will be negligible as opposed to the difference between this generation and next.

13. OrbitMonkey

@12. I do indeed ;)

14. Kabby

I’m mainly interested in seeing how MS solve their disc storage problems. Graphically both platforms will be the same.

15. IL DUCE

Guess this dopey analyst shouldve held back since an article on here from Develop yesterday stated that sources are saying X Box 720 is planning to launch Christmas 2013 after an E3 2013 reveal and that PS4 will not be out before 2014…so I think this guy may need to get a new job or consult sources before making predictions that immediately lose credibility

16. HeavyD-Love

Oh God, from here on out we’ll have articles about PS4 and X720 weekly, if not daily…so annoying…

17. FredEffinChopin

@15 You’re saying he should have held back on his opinion because a rumor that is circulating says otherwise? He’s an industry analyst, not a game blogger. He analyzes trends and shifts in the industry to advise various types of businesses in the industry, if he just regurgitated rumors that are printed in web sites either he wouldn’t have a job anymore, or we’d all be industry analysts.

And for the record, a release date for a video game can’t be relied on 3 months ahead of when it’s supposed to come out, and you believe that a date two years from now that was quoted in a rumor is going to prove true? Act like you’ve seen a system release before dude, if a developer is expecting a console to be ready by Q4 2013, there is an extremely strong chance that the console won’t see the light of day until 2014.

Having said that, I also see the likelihood of a 2013 announcement AND release for a console as being very slim. Think about the last time you’ve ever heard of anything like that, and then come back and talk to me about how credible this rumor is, and what you know about the industry vs. an analyst.

18. Clupula

@12 – then I stand clarified.

@17 – It is possible that it IS the first hardware launch #15 has ever seen. This one has gone on a lot longer than most.

19. phoenix

I Just hope it isnt in 3D
    Because 3D really annoy’s me, cause its the same as normal really just wearing 3D glasses and a high risk of damaging your eyes which I’d like to keep mine thanks.

20. Psychotext

@19: 3D only? I don’t think you’ll have much to worry about there.

21. Phoenixblight

@19 there is no such evidence that proves that 3d damages your eyes if anything you will get a form of motion sickness because of your eyes being tricked to make them see a form of depth when there is none. And there is no chance in hell that it will only be 3D because 3d enabled TVs have only 5-10% of the marketshare.

22. G1GAHURTZ

I could be wrong, but…

I believe that there is evidence to suggest that certain types of 3D technology can negatively affect eyes that are still developing (ie. children’s).

Hence the health warnings on the 3DS.

23. Ireland Michael

3D itself won’t damage your eyesight directly, but the simple eye strain from constant use of it most certainly will.

Strain put on your eyes by the whole 3D process display is a significant degrees of magnitude higher than that of a standard TV image. The amount of eye strain caused by 3D displays is also typically more severe on smaller objects close to you face (such as the 3DS) than that caused by a far away display (a TV or cinema screen)

Myself personally, already having fairly terrible eyesight, I can’t even use the 3D on the 3DS for more than half an hour without getting a headache. But I never have any problems at the cinema.

Here are some actual facts on the subject, from fully qualified professionals who actually know what they’re talking about.