If Resident Evil franchise didn’t branch out “people would be really sick,” of it, says Kawata

Friday, 7th October 2011 16:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Resident Evil producer Masachika Kawata has said if the series didn’t branch out a bit from its survival horror roots, “people would be really sick,” of the series.

“At the core, basically, we want to make the best use of our brand,” Kawata told Gamasutra. “Resident Evil is an IP, and a franchise, that people have loved for a long time.

“It’s still very, very popular and we’re very, very happy about that, and we want to basically answer all the requests that we get about the series. People want to see a lot of different experiences within the Resident Evil universe, and so we’ve been fortunate enough to be able to answer those requests with a lot of different experiences, in different forms, in games.”

Kawata said he wasn’t concerned with the brand becoming diluted, when asked, as all the Resident Evil games coming out are “focused on very different things.”

“I’m thinking that if we would have brought out all these Resident Evil titles, and they were all focused on survival horror, absolutely I think people would be really sick of Resident Evil,” he said.

“In my mind, we’ve got this online shooter game, we’ve got other things like Mercenaries that are even more action-focused, and some other games. And by going in a lot of different directions, I’m pretty confident that people are going to still be enjoying Resident Evil for a long time.”

Operation Raccoon City is slated for release in the early part of 2012, and Revelations is out in February.

1. Gekidami

I’m sick of it either way. So mission failed, Mr. Kawata.

2. mongbatstar

*Obvious COD Stagnation quote here*

3. Sini

If Resident Evil franchise didn’t branch out, there would be a resident evil game in the last decade worth talking about.

4. Unlimax

We aren’t satisfying yet from the Resident Evil franchise .. CAPCOM :\ !

5. Lewis247

Isn’t it ironic that they branched the series out and now everyone’s sick of it? I was extremely happy with resident evil right up to zero. They got the perfect form with zero and re-make. Then they went and got all action horror on us… 4 was a decent game but HUGE flaw was no zombies. Then.. let us never speak of 5 ever again..

Even outbreak 1 and 2 were better games than 5.

Capcom. LISTEN TO THE FANS. Zombies + Survival Horror = A good resident evil game. Branching off with: More human than zombie, las plagas + 3rd person shooter = Not good resident evil game.

The funny yet extremely annoying thing is, it really isn’t that hard to do another good resident evil. Too bad they have no idea what they are doing with the series any more.

I still have some faith with 6. They just got to do it right… I’ve said this plenty times before, if they mess 6 up Capcom will have gone from one of my favorite companies to officially dead.

6. ASBI

I agree with him 100%

u can never satisfy gamers, some like change and some others dont

7. DaMan

Very true, Masachika Kawata, otherwise it would just become irrelevant. It was all good in the 90s because of the lack of better games but I barely finished CV, there’s only so much you can do with that clumsy gameplay scheme. And RE4 was the best one anyway.. 5 was a disappointment though.

8. K-V-C

liesssssss lol !!!! cough call of duty cough haha !!!

9. AHA-Lambda

@1 – this.

10. Clupula

See, I thought the series was getting stagnant around the time of the remake and Zero. RE4 was a breathe of fresh air. However, I think they’ve done the same thing they did with the old ones, where it has gotten tiring again. It’s time to go back to the survival horror with RE6 for a few games.

11. neon6

how come they don’t want to admit they don’t know what to do with the franchise after losing some of their best people

12. Phoenixblight

Because that would be stupid to say with consumers and their stockholders.

13. Lord Gremlin

I’m not buying any Resident Evil game. Last game I’ve bought was RE4 and that was enough. You can’t milk it forever.

14. K-V-C

@13 its capcom were talking about name how many street fighter games are currently out !!!! never mind resident evil lol its not a mystery how much capcom love to milk there franchises and how much they love money !!!