Syndicate gets first proper gameplay footage on GTTV

Friday, 30th September 2011 10:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

GameTrailers TV has aired the first proper gameplay footage, HUD and all, of Syndicate following the release of the game’s first trailer yesterday. There’s some bits in there from the trailer, but new pieces are added as well. Keighley also interviews producer Ben O’Donnell on making the change from being focused on strategy to an FPS. Get it here.

Syndicate’s out on February 21, 2012 in the US and February 24, 2012 for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. horse

That looks a lot better than I imagined it would

2. Edo

Good to finally see some longer Colonial Marines footage as well,definitely looks promising.

3. The_Red

Short distance between reveal and release is ALWAYS a bad sign for the quality of the game. If it wasn’t coming out so soon, I would have actually liked it. The trailer was decent and the footage looks cool. While FPS is still a seriously wrong direction for this game, at least the gameplay mechanics feel closer to the original compared to new XCOM.

4. Moonwalker1982

Not nessecarily. For all we know the game can have been in development for years now and for some reason they decided to announced it so late. Earlier this year there were rumors from magazines and stuff about a new Syndicate, so it’s not totally out of nowhere.

5. LOLshock94

yeah im with 3 it does seem abit odd that the release date is so close when theres barely any gameplay surely it must be a really short game or it might get delayed

6. viralshag

I’m not sure what’s wrong with people. One minute there are complaints about a game getting “hyped” so long before release and now people are questioning it when the hype train starts a lot later?

Hard Reset announced the game like what, one or two months before release and I remember everyone welcoming this approach as a breath of fresh air. Not to mention the fact the game is really good.

It seems when it comes to gamers, you just can’t win with everyone.

7. Freek

Yeah, dunno about the game itself, but I like this new aproach of games only getting anounced a few months before release.
    The two year long drip feed of screenshots is getting really boring. Or in my case, spending two years avoiding the marketing for games like ME3 and Bioshock Infinite that seem hell bent on showing you every last little detail of the game years before you can even play it. Stop doing that!

8. Edo

#6 Absolutely agree.

9. YoungZer0

@6: It’s just not a smart marketing decision. There was no hype around Hard Reset.

10. viralshag

@9, Why not though? As #7 said, does drip feeding info really help to build up a game? Do gamers really need to plan their purchases a year ahead or regular non-blog/site reading gamers even care to follow every bit of info?

I know at least six of my close friends that will buy MW3 as soon as they see the first TV ads. If I asked them now “do you know when the release date is?” None of them would be able to answer.

A good marketing campaign isn’t decided on the length it goes on for. It’s on the quality of info provided and the amount of the target audience reached. They could just as easily get the same number of people interested in this game in the space of three months as opposed to a year.

11. Moonwalker1982

These are the guys that made Riddick, right?

12. viralshag

@11, Yes. Them and Tigon. I think Tigon is Vin’s own games company or something.

13. DSB

The game itself looks pretty good, even if the artstyle is 90% Deus Ex: HR, and it seems to have a lot of unneccesary gimmicks.

The problem for me is that it won’t live up to what it says on the box. If you want to make an entirely different game from the original, then at least call it something else.

It’s like XCom. It does none of the things that made the first one special, it just grabs the name because it’s easier than making a new one. Who are they trying to fool?

14. YoungZer0

@10: Because hype needs to be build. Hype allows it to reach as many people as possible, but hype needs time. The more time it needs, the more people find out about it, the more people are going to buy it. It’s that simple.

Not everybody checks their news on gaming websites. I still have people like my brother (He plays games every day) who comes up to me and tells me about games i knew a year ago.

15. Edo

“It’s not the same game,blah,blah,blah,I wont buy it,blah,blah,blah” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VbOHvaPRc .

16. YoungZer0

@13: I dunno about the artstyle. Don’t see any renaissance elements and the color-scheme changes a lot, sometimes even reminding me of Mirror’s Edge.

I also really like the unnecessary gimmicks. That’s what i was missing in DX. It makes it feel more “futuristic”. Like the useless information about the pistols and all that.

17. viralshag

@14, Well you kinda just repeated what I said. Your brother tells you about games you knew about a year ago, so regardless of a years’ worth of hype, he still didn’t know about the game. That’s why time is almost irrelevant, you can make just as much an impact in a short space of time if done right.

And for that exact fact that not everyone checks gaming websites is exactly the reason why it’s unnecessary for people to find out so early. Like I said, good timing is not just about length, otherwise we would see TV ads for games long before they release.

The game releases in about 5 months, that’s more than enough time for a successful marketing campaign.

18. YoungZer0

@17: You missed the point. If the game would’ve taken less time to build the hype, he wouldn’t know about it. Simple as that. He never heard of Hard Reset. He fucking loved games like Painkiller though.

19. viralshag

@18, I really don’t think I am missing the point and I’m not exactly sure what the point is that you’re trying to make?

Hard Reset is almost an exception anyway, as there was pretty much no marketing campaign whatsoever. I imagine that would be due to a limited budget and a reliance on websites and review scores alone to spread the word as the game as it was only distributed through Steam.

What benefit would you have gained from knowing a year ago the game would be released? Would a year old trailer, followed up with a few more screenshots, and eventually a preview three or four months before release have helped you make a decision on whether or not to buy the game?

Like I keep saying, more time does not always mean a more impactful marketing campaign.