Importing is go: PlayStation Vita is region free

Saturday, 17th September 2011 09:09 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Import-happy gamers would be delighted to learn that PS Vita won’t be region-locked.

The news was confirmed by Sony Computer Entertainment’s president of Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida. In answer to a question asked to him on Twitter about whether or not Vita will be region free, he responded by saying, “Yes, it is.”

This means western gamers will be able to import Japanese-only Vita games without worrying about whether or not they’ll work.

More importantly, this also means you can go ahead and import a PS Vita when it releases in Japan this December, as long as you’ve no qualms about owning a Japanese system.

PS Vita is scheduled to release on December 17 in Japan. The 3G version will set you back by ¥29,980 and the WiFi version will cost ¥24,980.

No details have yet been given for any western launches.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. monkeygourmet

Hmmmm…

Now thats a spicy meat ‘a’ ball….

2. ultramega

YEEEEEEEEEEES!

3. Suikoden Fan

if only the 3ds wasnt region locked, vita now beats it by default just based on that, shame really 3ds has potential but that lock kills it for me

4. cgalla2000

I can’t even remember where to import from these days, now that Lik Sang and HK-somethingorother are both gone. Do Play Asia do things like this?

5. monkeygourmet

Im hoping play Asia will! They have it listed as pre-order:

6. KAP

I remember finishing work early at covent gardens and walking to tottenham court road to buy myself an imported PSP from an import shop for £400 and a Gb memorystick for £99 about… 7 years ago now. Its funny, today you couldnt give a 1 Gb memorystick away lol.

Feels like forever.. wow!

Will I take that very trip again in december?

Hmmmmm… maybe not this time BUT I’m really excited about the Vita and will defo get it at PAL launch. Now that I’m older I’ve learnt that those who import stuff early isn’t really gaining anything when 3 months apart of PAL released is concerned.

For those that will buy an import, be carful where you get one from.

7. monkeygourmet

Cool story!

I remember paying about £120 for Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting on the SNES when that came out on US import!

I had to buy a massive convertor where you had to stick a PAL game to the back of it to run it properly! ;)

8. Christopher Jack

So those that are quick enough will be able to import from Japan?

9. Gekidami

^ Yes, and it’ll play US & PAL games with no problem.

10. Suikoden Fan

wont you need a power converter for the charger?

11. Christopher Jack

@11, Good point, not sure what plugs the Japanese use.

12. monkeygourmet

You can get one from Maplin or places like that. I paid about £15.00 for one when i imported a DS lite

13. NeoSquall

Actually, the real (bad) news would be if the console WASN’T region free.

14. KrazyKraut

@Kap
    Yes like me, but I paid just 333 €. 400 GBP?^^ Wtf

Perfect, so we can import Jap and US games.

15. Suikoden Fan

@13 last time i checked maplins (online) the converters were never exactly what you needed unless you pay above £100

16. Ireland Michael

Sony: We do what Nintendon’t!

17. cgalla2000

@13 £15 for an adaptor? Good god. Did you get it from Harrods?

18. Goffee

Fine for a WiFi version, but don’t get the 3G! I suspect it won’t work here, the Japanese models will have HSDPA/HSUPA *specification for Japanese region*

19. Christopher Jack

Pretty sure we use HSDPA down here, I’m no expert on wireless frequencies though.

20. DrDamn

You don’t need a power transformer, just an adaptor. So a few quid. It would be crazy to make a portable machine need a specific voltage. Even a PS3 handles multiple voltages.

21. FerreroRussian

@17 That’s a good one!

22. The Evil Pope

Nintendo take fucking note!

23. Lounds

@19 the UK uses the same standards surely, most smart phones are designed for Quadband so they can be used in all countries, why wouldn’t the PSV use the same transmitter?