MGS HD Collection TGS trailer shows MGS2 HD for first time

Thursday, 15th September 2011 11:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Konami’s gone and released the TGS trailer of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, showing properly for the first time Metal Gear Solid 2 in actual HD footage. The video confirms that the version of MGS2 that’ll be in the pack will not be the vanilla version of Sons of Liberty, but rather Substance, with Snake Tales and the VR missions included. It also shows a bit more of MGS3 as well, following its first sighting back at gamescom last month.

The Collection was dated for November 23 in Japan this morning for PS3 and 360. Konami is still to officially announce a date for here other than just November.

1. triggerhappy

Was the camera on MGS2 fully movable?? Like MGS3 Sub?

2. onefivefive

Ummmm, link?

3. albo88

looks the same not 3D camera

4. Johnny Cullen

Fuck. I forgot to put the video in. Sec.

5. Johnny Cullen

There we go.

6. Deacon

There it is ! – I cannot wait to get my hands on this !

7. cgalla2000

Premium package sold! That’s some damn fine Yoji Shinkawa art :D

8. Clupula

@1 – Not in the original, it wasn’t. I’d imagine they’d have to totally reconfigure the game for a 3D camera, instead of the overhead.

9. Razor

Hype hype hype.

10. triggerhappy

^I’ll take two large scoops of that hype and have it in a sandwich for lunch thank you very much. Fuck yeh :P

11. CycloneFox

That’s just great news! There is no more “super-widescreen” that destroyed the aspect ratio but true 16:9 in the cutscenes. Thank you KojiPro for listening to your fans!

12. Thalius

This pack is gonna be EPIC!!! cant wait to replay all metal gear solid games. Now to complete the pack they only have to create trophy support for Metal Gear Solid4.

13. Erthazus

I want that giant collectors edition pack.

14. triggerhappy

^ meee tooo :D

15. Ireland Michael

So, other than widescreen (which is going to ruin the focus of countless shots) how exactly is this any different from the original games? I can just play the PS2 versions upscaled on my PS3.

Achievements aren’t content, so that doesn’t count.

16. triggerhappy

^ OMG Ireland, whats with the negativity?? They are in HD. HD widescreen lovelyness. Are you some 4:3 elitist??

17. Ireland Michael

@16 No. I just don’t understand why people can get excited about rebuying games that aren’t even a decade old just because they’ll be outputting at a higher resolution.

Especially since I already own them.

I mean, at least the Ico / SotC collection is upping the draw distance in both games and increasing the frame rate to a solid 60 frames a second. These look… exactly the same. Like, literally exactly the same. Especially MGS2.

18. triggerhappy

^ I get the whole thing about buying a game you already own. This will be the 3rd time ive bought 3 and the 2nd time ive bought 2. The higher resolution is a BIG draw for me, and they will be running at 60fps so ive read.

19. cgalla2000

@17 Well… MGS2 is over 10 years old :D

20. undeadwolfy

A chill went down my spine during this trailer :O

21. NeoSquall

Where do I have to stuff my MONEEEEH to have the PS3 Premium Package?

22. Dralen

I want the box!!

23. gamb1t

so honestly like @15 said should i bother buying these if its already upscaled? (never finished mgs2 but will one day, same with mgs 3 snake eater) because i bought them months ago for super cheap but dont wanna waste $20 bucks or however much its going to cost?

24. Ireland Michael

@23 I imagine the whole collection will be about the same price as one usual new release.

Unless you really need widescreen cutscenes and a slightly higher resolution, and actually care about achievements / trophies, then I’d say no.

25. lexph3re

Lets look at it this way instead of imagining: MGS hd collection cost 50 bucks, you get an upscaled Mgs2 Subtance, Mgs 3 Subsistence, Mgs peace walker. Peace walker alone cost 20 bucks, Metal gear solid 2 substance cost 15(on xbox original mind you), Metal gear solid 3 subsistence can run you 54 new. Now on the collection all of them are upscaled, all of them are supported by trophy/achievements, 60 frames per second, 3d support and online multiplayer for peace walker with vita remote play or individually bought. for only 50. So, Is this hard to see why some people have no problem buying this collection for the first time and or over again?

Oh yeah heres a link on amazon for pricing for all of thee above

26. Ireland Michael

@25 Well, if you don’t own the expanded version of these games, it totally makes sense to buy it. There’s very little to draw back existing owners though.

27. lexph3re

I own substance on xbox, but for me I actually want Snake eater again but never cared to find out what happened to my ps2. And, I lost my psp at a convetion this year with my peacewalker and my saved data -_-. It’s enough draw for me on that alone. But, as for people who already own maybe the last collection (the mgs1,2,3) on ps2 this will probably just piss them off. Unless it’s still in plastic and they we’re able to get hideo kojima and cast to sign it instantly making it Fanboy’s wetdream come true.

28. KAP

People are quick to forget how much fun they got out of there PS2.

29. ultramega

lol. It’s always funny listening to Japanese flavoured English.