Warhammer 40K: Space Marine post-launch co-op confirmed

Friday, 2nd September 2011 07:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

THQ and Relic have made official rumours that Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine will sport a co-operative mode, but won’t ship with it on-disc.

Kotaku reports the mode is called Exterminatus, and features up to four players battling waves of enemies.

The mode won’t be released until early October, but will be free.

THQ accidentally let slip last month that co-op would be added post-launch, but delayed detailing it.

Space Marine is due for release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It hits the US on September 6 with a European launch on September 9. A demo launched two weeks ago has proved remarkably popular.

1. viralshag

Balls, I actually thought this was out today for some reason! I was going to go to the shop and everything. Thanks VG247, you just saved me a pointless trip.

2. Christopher Jack

That’s cool & all, but I’d assume that this means there’s no co-op for the actual campaign. I’d also love more variety more akin to Dawn of War’s Last Stand mode but I assume that this will be much, much closer to Kill Team’s survival mode.

3. TheBlackHole

I wish ‘horde mode’-alikes would stop being called co-op.

To me co-op means two or more people, generally playing on the SAME console, through the CAMPAIGN.

Not interested in this ‘multiplayer against bots’ Last Stand bullshit.

4. Gekidami

I’m all for a ‘horde mode’ in games, -in fact i think it should become a standard- but yeah, calling that co-op really is a stretch. Co-op should feature some form of plot the players have to advance through with a goal they can all win, calling modes like this co-op is like saying that 4 players on the same team against bots in TimeSplitters is co-op.

5. Crab of Thunder

According to it’s wikipedia, you are “able to play through the campaign in cooperative mode with up to four additional friends.”
    So there might be campaign co-op.

Also i’m big on horde-like modes, and at least its free. :)

6. DSB

I wouldn’t want to play something like this or Gears of War without campaign coop. It’s way too tedious.

7. NeoSquall

2 human controlled Space Marines for just 4-5 thousand orks and some hundred Chaos Space Marines?

HERESY.