Gaikai teams with CDP for Witcher II demo, PC version nearly hits 1 million sales

Tuesday, 30th August 2011 13:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

CD Projekt’s announced today that its teamed up with Gaikai to provide a demo of The Witcher II for the cloud service.

Interactive Entertainment SVP Robert Stevenson said the inclusion of CDP and others to the service “can instantly reach a global audience of gamers without special plugins or modifications to their games.”

In other Witcher news, according to reports out of Poland (via Gamasutra), CD Projekt has seen sales of near 1 million for the RPG, which launched on PC in May this year via Atari and Namco Bandai. It has sold 940,000 units in the first half of 2011 alone, with 400,000 units sold in its first week alone.

A 360 version is due next year from THQ.

1. thesamy

i must say im a fucking drunk pirate but i boghot this game AND IT WAS WORTH EVERY $ i spent on it!

2. RandomTiger

Is it just me or would you have expected it to sell more by now.
    Perhaps some people who would have been PC users in the past are waiting for the 360 version.

3. Maximum Payne

@2 that is without digital copies so that means THEY ARE RICH !

4. badboy_122

don’t be a smart ass dude

70% of PC gamers buy their games digitally now …and that’s not in the count …

the 360 version won’t be like the PC version at all … this is a heavy hardcore RPG designed for PC …

have fun with the port !!!

5. Dralen

Massive gratz to CD Projekt! I cannot wait for the announced 2.0 update. I also really hope they make an expansion to finish off the story, I did feel a little unfulfilled by the ending; I wanted more.

6. jnms

I played the Gaikai demo of Witcher 2 on Friday. Works very, very well!!

7. RandomTiger

@4 That would explain it but the article doesn’t seem to make it clear either way. Not being a smart arse, my 360 example is exactly what I’m doing. I will enjoy the port thanks, I’m sure CDP will do a good job of it.

8. deathgaze

This game is garbage, IMO. I can’t believe it busted out 1M copies. Jeez…