Core shaken – Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Thursday, 25th August 2011 00:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The man who guided Apple through its transition from an almost irrelevant computing platform to ubiquitous household name has stepped down.

In his resignation letter, Jobs professes that he can “no longer meet [his] duties and expectations” as Apple’s leader; continuing poor health is suspected to be the cause. He encouraged the company to follow a succession plan, and nominated former COO Tim Cook to replace him; the board has agreed.

Steve Jobs co-founded Apple in 1976, and after stints elsewhere, returned to the top executive role in 1997.

In 2001, Apple launched digital music store iTunes, and later that year, the first iPod. The two products are arguably responsible for the digital content revolution, and led the company to the iPhone, which popularised the smartphone as a gaming platform, and the iPad, which looks set to do the same for tablets.

Jobs’s 14 year tenure has seen Apple inspire remarkable changes in the computing, mobile phone, and gaming industries. He will be sadly missed.

1. Levester

he was a nice man. he will be missed. :(. im still a pc >:)

2. rrw

iquit :P

anyway he still around as chairman

3. LOLshock94

is he leaving cause of his health? I heard he had cancer are something

4. DSB

Sad to hear. I guess his condition must’ve gotten pretty bad.

5. Strandli

I have never been a fan of Apple products, and I have certain feelings towards the Apple evangelists, but I admire Jobs as a person. He is a classic story of someone who managed to build an empire out of nothing. He has changed the computer, phone and media business in a way few other have. He even started Pixar!

Whether you like Apple’s products or not, you should have respect for the man behind it all. I hope this decision wasn’t made solely due to health problems.

6. Judicas

Hopefully with him going away, Apple might finally put flash support in it’s products!! (iPad, etc)

7. DaMan

They will still remain a Chairman. Good luck, Steve.

Apple ‘ve uh, allowed flash last year.

8. FeaturePreacher

Time to start the Apple Death Clock? Tomorrow stock plummet will tell.

9. rrw

@8 it already happend

let see if history repeat

10. Ireland Michael

Fair dues to him. I hope he gets better, and enjoys his new found retirement.

11. onlineatron

Well said. The man is captivating on stage, and is incredibly savvy. It’s a shame such a tragic affliction has kept him from being in the industry longer.

12. Telepathic.Geometry

Good luck to Steve, hope he gets better.

13. Christopher Jack

Never liked him, he bled ego. Still respect him from a business point of view but hate him as a consumer.

14. Ireland Michael

@13 You create a multi-billion dollar business from the ground up, revolutionise the way people interact in the world and completely changes the face of the music industry… and you can have as big a damn ego as you want. You earned it.

And this is coming from someone who isn’t even a big fan of Apple products.

15. rrw

@14 steve jobs ego actually already happens while back even before 2000.

it pretty much his personality really

16. ultramega

Good riddance. Everything I’ve heard about him says he’s a total prick… Conned his best friend out of money, drives without a license plate, parks in handicapped stalls, is a huge dick to interns, and has never donated a cent of his billions to charity (as far as any records show), and the list could go on….

17. Christopher Jack

@14, Which is why I said I respect him from a business point of view. I don’t have to like his ego, I despise it, kind of odd that you think that I should put up with it-you’re normally a person of reason among VG247 readers.

I don’t like Apple for many, many reasons, Jobs himself would be in the top 10, another factor being how much profit they make from individual sales, their treatment of their ‘partners’, their closed ecosystem, their anti-competitive nature, their business practices & several other reasons.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 I never said you had to “put up with it”. I just said it’s entirely deserved.

It’s also funny seeing averages Joes being angry and bitter at rich and successful people. (not aimed at you)

19. DarkElfa

…if I could jerk off to the sounds of a million crying fanboys….

20. Christopher Jack

@18, Sounds like you think that being a dick is a privilege? I don’t care if somebody is rich or poor, successful or not, that’s irrelevant to somebodies personality, sometimes it’s just easier to show the true person when they’ve reached the peak of either extreme.

21. Ireland Michael

@20 No, I just think that egos are completely warranted, as long as its kept in check. Humility is an often over-rated and regularly pretentious “virtue”.

If someone is responsible for creating technology that changes the world works and how people go about their daily lives, or reinvents completely new ways of working with commerce, they have all the right to say “Fuck yeah, I’m the man. *I* did it. and you didn’t.”

Like I said, as long as its kept in check.

Steve Jobs is no model citizen, but I highly doubt half the people criticising him are anywhere near as virtues as they expect him to. Always easier to point the finger. Especially on the internet.

22. Christopher Jack

Yet I couldn’t imagine you defending Bill Gates in this situation, while Gates is the lesser of two evils despite universal beliefs.

23. Ireland Michael

@22 Actually, I have just as much (if not more) respect for Bill Gates, considering the amount of serious charity work he commits himself to. If I had to choose between the two? I’d go with Bill.

But that’s a moot point, isn’t it? Considering Bill Gates hasn’t been running Microsoft in years.

24. Crab of Thunder

To succeed and thrive at such a level a certain ego or arrogance is almost a given and not always a bad thing.

Anyway full respect to the man, he did a pretty swell job.

25. noherczeg

#5

I can only respect him for what he achieved, but can’t respect him for what he has done.

He made an industry wich is majorly feeding upon idiot fanatics who don’t even know any alternatives, don’t want to learn / know / try any alternatives and there is only ONE thing to them the Apple logo. The people who are willingly paying 2-3 times the price for devices wich are not even nearly advanced by that level then say a close competitor’s products let it be hardware or software.

They don’t encourage advancement, they encourage simplicity over everything else. I’m not refering to simplicity as a straight issue though, it’s a good thing when used properly but not as a feature above all.

26. YoungZer0

@14: You talking about Napster?

27. DaMan

#35 Is complete and utter nonsense. this is classic pseudo argument. It’s like stating horses should be used instead of cars. People shouldn’t waste time on sys admin work, there’re sys admins for that, or in the case of Apple products your device does most of the dirty job. They encourage intuitiveness and simplicity of use to make people easier focus on actual tasks.

The iPhone and any of their modern devices were the first one to have plenty of features. The fact that they don’t have to change it atm is a testament to how quality and complete iOS already is, while the competition had to take ages to even remotely catch up.

28. Ireland Michael

@26 You mean the product that was only popular when people used it for stealing music?

So no. The Napster creators never had the forsight to make it financially successful.

29. DSB

Some people have trouble with genius. No matter which way you spin it, Jobs has to be counted with that group.

I vehemently disagree with his views on censorship, and I think that sort of thinking belongs in the 19th century, but the man is capable above and beyond any sort of measure. Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

I mostly agree with Michael, except maybe on charity. Buffet did a good thing in trying to promote the system where billionaires give away two thirds of their fortune, but while the work and sentiment involved is purely positive, it still strikes me as somewhat common sense.

In a lot of northern european countries you’d have a hard time amassing that kind of money, because the distribution works, and as a result, fewer people are left wanting. Looking at the US, it’s a system that accomodates the rich and leaves it to the poor to join them or suffer.

I’d file that sort of redistribution under common sense, before I file it under admirable ventures. A GP going to some hellhole for meager pay in order to treat people is sacrificing far more than Buffet and Gates will have to. They’re never going to be without billions of dollars, even if they are amassed fair and square, and the ammount of effort they put into charity is great.