Rise of the Samurai DLC announced for Total War: Shogun 2

Thursday, 11th August 2011 17:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SEGA and The Creative Assembly have announced Total War: Shogun 2 will be receiving a new DLC campaign this September through digital outlets called Rise of the Samurai.

The DLC is set 400 years before the Sengoku period in Shogun 2, where players will lead one of six playable clans from the Taira, Minamoto and Fujiwara families during the Gempei War.

Rise of the Samurai can be played in both single and multiplayer modes, and 16 new land units and 10 new naval units will be at their disposal.

There are also four new hero units, including the Tetsubo Warrior Monk Hero, and the female Onna Bushi Heroine. There are also four new agent types, each with their own skill trees ranging from the Shirabyoshi to the Junsatsushi Inspectors.

A new patch will deployed alongside the DLC, which will contain a large number of fixes and upgrades, covering single and multiplayer gameplay.

There’s no exact date, but it will run you $9.99.

Check out screenshots for Rise of the Samurai below.

1. NeoSquall

I didn’t expect the Onna Bugeisha to be horsemounted.
    Thei models are cute yet imposing.

2. Peetry

I am a huge TW fan but Shogan2 really didn’t do it for me. Shame because usually I’d have bought all the DLC

3. GrimRita

@2 Shogun 2 is a total pile of shit. Probably THE worst in the series. I havent touched it in months. With Empire, I purchased all the DLC and still play it – the replay value is incredible, where Shogun 2 is just a dumbed down game that should be on a console!

4. NeoSquall

It’s already available on Steam, 6,99 euros price point.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 It’s listed as TBA on this end for $9.99.

6. Hunam

@2,3

Where I hated Empire but can’t get enough of Shogun 2. I think it’s fantastic.

7. DSB

I’ll grab it once they retool the price a bit. After Napoleon they’re really gonna have to work for it, although a lot of people I’ve seen seem to love Shogun in spite of loathing the last few, so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

8. Phoenixblight

9.99$ seems a bit much to me.