Sony: Vita could be used as PS3 controller

Tuesday, 2nd August 2011 11:43 GMT By Johnny Cullen

PlayStation Vita could be used to become a Wii U-like controller for PlayStation 3 content, Sony said recently at Develop.

R&D manager at SCEE Phil Rogers said at a session at the Brighton event last a couple of weeks that, out of many possibilities of what can be done with the handheld and PS3, you could “drive a display from a PS3 game, for example.”

He continued: “PS3 can send data down to Vita and Vita can display it. You could use the unique features – gyroscope, touch front and back – as a control device for a PS3 game.

“You can run software on both devices and use the network to sync the game states. And that’s pretty good, because you then have the processing power of PS3 doing that work, Vita [doing] fancy graphics – however you want to do it. You’re not sacrificing the PS3′s CPU to be able to have a rich experience on Vita.”

Rogers also confirmed that Hustle Kings would have cross-platform support for Vita and PS3, and that Remote Play support would be included from launch, adding that developers could retroactively add in support for Vita into its PS3 games.

Vita is due out in at least one region later this year. More details are expected on the launch period during Sony’s gamescom press conference two weeks today and at Shuhei Yoshida’s TGS keynote next month.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. viralshag

So the choice is: A new Nintendo console with a fancy controller and current-gen graphics (or so it would seem).

Or

A new handheld with good graphics that can also be used as a fancy controller with a console that does current-gen graphics (well).

I mean, if there are PS3 owners considering getting a WiiU, I would probably tell them not to bother.

2. CycloneFox

Maybe multiplatformers will see that oportunity and bring the same features they bring for Wii U Titles on the Wii U Controller, optionally in the PS3 version on the PSVita, too.

If you look at it that way. Sony and Nintendo are supporting each other.
    I think a PS3 and a PSVita is a better choice than a Wii U. Of course it’s more expensive, but you have the option of two devices. Or you could buy one and pick the other one up later.
    It is great for developers to bring optional features for a second touch screen on PS3 and Wii U.

3. RandomTiger

Thing is it needs to be as standard with the console or have a big marketing campaign like Kinect in order for publishers to want to make games for it using such a system.

Anyone who buys a Wii-U is stating an interest in buying games where some kind of tablet functionality is a USP. Whereas folk having a ps3 and a Vita, you cant really be sure if thats something they want.

4. Blerk

I like ‘normal’ pads. Who else likes ‘normal’ pads? :-)

5. Erthazus

I!

and M+K.

I think gamepads with a touchscreen is a useless gimmick. Same gimmick as Playstation dildo and Microsoft’s Kinect.

6. viralshag

Yeah, I have to say I like normal pads too.

Nice boring functional working dual analog control pads — Yes please.

7. RandomTiger

I can see lots of cool uses of a tablet in combination with normal console play, you could take a lot of tactical stuff off pause and ingame menus and put it on a touch screen. Problem being I want to hold a normal pad for extended sessions and even the 360 pad LED’s annoy me if Im gaming in the dark.

8. Goffee

I’ll happily buy a PS Vita to replace my PSP, but its unlikely I’ll replace my Xbox collection for a PS3. Perhaps the PS4 would be a more natural target.

9. Lewis247

It only does everything…

except zelda, mario…

I would still buy a wii U for those games. Sure this is kinda like what the wii U does EXCEPT I can tell you right now, the wii U will do it much better and the controller comes free with the wii U rather than going out to buy a full priced ps vita which if you ask me isn’t too special.

10. Deacon

This was one of my first thoughts when the WiiU came to light..

Sony can clearly do the same, if not more, with the Vita / PS3 combo.

I’m very keen to hear more about potential Vita / PS3 interoperability!!

11. NeoSquall

lol, Sony definitely sunk Nintendo’s ship with this blow :D

12. mojo

#2:
    “Edit: Another part is interesting: So is it possible for the PS3 and PSVita to share the calculations for the same game engine? I would be happy for graphic demos here.^^”

wireless connections are way WAY too slow for those kinds of use.

next thing:
    Sony: Vita can be used to stream content from PS3
    there u have ur wiiu. A side effect from a handheld.

13. danhese

I’ll officially like to call you an idiot for trolling here with “it does everything except mario and zelda” joke.

1. Sony isn’t selling Vita as a controller, they didn’t do it with PSP which obviously had this same features and they sure wont be doing it now.
    2. It is a perk for people who happen to have both systems rather than a selling point for the system just like it was on PSP
    3. Wii U is a freaking home console and this is a handheld with a feature that has existed on PSP, not only that, wii U controller is dependent on the console whereas this is a portable console by it self and can still handle playing PS3 games via remote play over wifi even when you are not close to your PS3.
    4. WiiU controller is a “CONTROLLER” and obviously every gamer will have to make use of it if you want to play games on WiiU.

@ #11. This feature isnt sinking any Nintendo boat. It didnt sink Nintendo boat when it was released on PSP and wont do it now because;
    1. Every game that has this feature wont be a selling point of the game and Vita is not a controller but a portable console that happens to have this feature.
    2. Nintendo has been doing this longer than Sony and even when PS1 and PS2 sold millions and people thought Nintendo was going to quit like Sega did, they stayed and created the DS and Wii 2 very successful consoles.

14. Aimless

The fact a PS3 with a Vita hooked up to it can do everything a Wii U can is pretty much irrelevant. The percentage of users with both machines will be so minuscule that it would make zero sense to build a game around the setup, so outside of enhanced Remote Play functions you’re unlikely to see much come of this bar optional functions that match multi-platform Wii U implementations.

I’m definitely interested in seeing how both machines will interact on a system level, but as far as games go it’s largely a non-starter.

15. KAP

Regardless of all that damn noise above, this is a great feature and should be looked at too deeply guys.

16. CycloneFox

@12: Wireless is, yes. That’s the reason, why the PSP can only be used as the Remote Play is now. But Vita and PS3 have Bluetooth and can use Remote Play per Bluetooth like the Wii U. In other words, The PS3 and PSVita combo can do everything, the Wii U Does in terms of hardware… and more. Because of Multitouch, hardware in PSVita and many more. But the developers will only use it optionally, because not any PS3-user will have a PSVita and only the features, they implement for the Wii U titles anyway.

But the good part in this is, that is has a positive effect for Sony and Nintendo as they give developers the opportunity on both platforms that would be optionally anyway.

@15: Yes.

17. Lounds

Does this mean I could put a PS3 game in my console and then see the game on my PSV? and play it, so infamous 2 anywhere I want in my house?

18. Lightmanone

@ 9, Lewis247: WiiU controller for free? Hahaha. I am a nintendo fan but free? Never. The WiiU will be really expensive, BECAUSE of the controller. The consumer will pay for it.. dearly.
    I think the WiiU will sell just as much as the 3DS now: Not much. They will have to throw the price lower in order to sell.

—-

Look.. this is all nice and stuff. But what I am more interested in is the GAMES. There is this really long list of games for the PS Vita. Impressive at first glance. But for me personally there are only 2 games I am interested in: Wipeout 2048 and Ridge Racer. That’s it. Yes. I don’t like shooters.

So in that way, I would go for a WiiU, cause the games that Nintendo brings out are way more in my genre.

Oh. and before there are flamers: I own a PS3, X360 and Wii. As well as a PSP and 3DS. So.. don’t. :P
    I just don’t really see the advantage of owning a PSV at this time. Maybe in a year when there maybe a 3rd game I like.

(for every purchase there is 1 rule: 3 games or more I have to buy for that console/handheld, or I won’t buy it.)

19. OlderGamer

RT +1

“Thing is it needs to be as standard with the console or have a big marketing campaign like Kinect in order for publishers to want to make games for it using such a system”

Nice to know I am not the only one understanding this. I know the Sony faithful would love to see Sony take on WiiU biggest feature, but lets be honest, not going to happen. Unless the Vita is sold one to one with the system, devs won’t program for it on a large enough scale to matter.

There might be one or two features, but nothing substantial. Of course if you want to keep believing otherwise, fans, and keep the buzz up Sony won’t mind.

And even if both sony and MS found a way to do what WiiU does, and they will copy it at some point(look at Move and kinect), only nintendo has Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Pokemon, Smash bros, Mario Kart etc etc etc.

20. NeoSquall

@13 You’re overthinking, sir.

The “boat” I was humorously talking about is just about the price of both the SKUs.
    Vita will be 259/299 euros, Wii U may even cost as much as 2 or 3 times more.

The point is, if you have all the consoles, or just a PS3, it’s ridicolously more convenient purchase a PSVita than a Wii U.

21. Dalekbuster523

The PSPVista looks rubbish.It just looks like a ordinary PSP but with two touchscreens.
    WOW!Two touchscreens!That’s amazing!I so care!(Being sarcastic).Anyway,Nintendo did a handheld console with a touchscreen before Playstation so who’s going to want a PSP Vista?The 3DS is miles better than what this looks like.

22. Gama_888

I, personally, would much rather have the Vita/Ps3 Combo over a WiiU as i allready have a Ps3 so if i do want the features of the WiiU its cheaper for me to get a Vita. Plus the fact that i can do a lot more with Ps3 and Vita than i could with a WiiU.

In terms of exclusive titles that would implement Vita as the controller, Yehh thats probably not going to happen. Unless Vita goes massive.

I would love to see Vita propperly used as a controller for Ps3, Itll give me another reason to carry around my Vita as im a bit weary about the prospect of carrying around 2 devices (my phone and Vita) Which Imo is why they should have included some sort of propper phone function.

And what about the L2 and R2 buttons?

23. Erthazus

@dalekbuster523,

“WOW!Two touchscreens!That’s amazing!I so care!(Being sarcastic”

+ two thumbsticks, OLED screen, Quad core processor, 3G enabled system, better hardware.

continue sucking Nintendo’s balls.

24. Gama_888

@23 LOL AT U COMMENTING ON SOMEBODY ELSES TROLLING ;)

25. OlderGamer

“Butt, If developers are implementing certain features for the WiiU then theres no reason to not add these features into the ps3 version as an option.”

The problem is that WiiU will not be the lead platform and such its features won’t be in most multiplatform games. therefore those features won’t already be in games to port to begin with. Meaning that no one will be impletementing certian features that are in WiiU games and bringing them to Sony.

Thats one major flaw.

Also don’t expect too many WiiU games to use the features of the controler too heavily. Expect it to be mostly a screen display where extra menues can be used.

The only ones using the controler features to full effect will be Nintendo first/second party games.

Most of the Nintendo 3rd party line up will likly be just ports and spiritual sequals to games already out now on PS360. I don’t great lengths will be gone to in order to maximize the controler to console to TV features.

Now, if Nintendo somehow cleans up next ge4n. And MS/Sony blunder there new systems or if the new systems aren’t leaps beyond what we already graphicly have, then maybe Nintendo could become the lead platform and all I just said would be a wash. But I doubt it will happen.

In the end you don’t want to be the most powerful system (xbox one/PS3) you just want to be the lead system (xbox360/PS2). But I highly doubt Nintendo can get to be the lead platform, they just aren’t working to the same end goals as the other guys(graphics/power/online).

26. TVs Everywhere

This is honestly looking to me like a much better deal than the Wii U. I already have a PS3, so if they were to support this feature a lot I could just use that for the whole handheld/home console interactivity gimmick while still having a full-fledged handheld at the end of the day.

With that in mind there’s really nothing that compels me to buy a Wii U, since I’m essentially re-buying hardware I already own to play with a tablet controller that looks honestly hideous, and for me the days when the words “ZOMG MARIO” and “ZOMG ZELDA” by themselves were enough to make me buy the next Nintendo console are long, long gone.

27. typeface

Wasnt this totally obvious from at the very least E3? They’re just refining remote play really.

The way I see it it all depends on Sony’s implementation. Third party devs will port games onto multiple systems because it has a good revenue stream for them. Look at the wii games being ported to the PS3 and all the multiplatform games this generation.

Now for this to really be successful it depends on the intersection of Vita and PS3 users initially. We know there’s about 50Million plus PS3s already out there. A decent proportion of that would be buying the vita considering the hype (Now the key here is that Vita needs to sell to a decent sized market). Now if there’s users who own a Vita and a PS3 it’s only natural that they’d have games that make use of this feature. We’ll see Sony using the later years of the PS3 as a testbed to see if it’s really worth investing while Nintendo works on releasing WiiU. Based on the fact that several major First Party Sony studios do not have visible outputs for 2012 they must be preparing something for the PS4 launch, so 2012 to early 2013 could be an ideal testing phase for this. If it’s successful they could easily launch the PS4 with a Vita bundled (remember the Vita uses components that are quite cheap and used by cellphone manufacturers ARM chip prices would go down by then as well).

Of course since there would already be Vita owners they’d release the next console with Vita and Vitaless bundles price appropriately. It depends on how much the WiiU actually does catch on with consumers of course and their own efforts (It’s too early to say anything, and SCE needs to be smart about it as well, plus this is speculative).

The Vita as is is a good device, has plenty of nice features and seems to be having a lot of games that interest people and seems both consumer and dev friendly. For such a device to have an additional feature which could be supported by third party devs making stuff for the WiiU seems like a no-brainer.

It’s like hey you own an iPhone and you probably have a mac you know your two devices could be quite in sync with each other. it depends mostly on how much the market accepts the Vita. I’m sure the Vita will see pricecuts more often but we’ll also see double purchase of games. I just hope it follows what seems to be the current model with titles like Dragon’s Crown (the vita and the PS3 version are both $29.99 each and that adds up to a $60 game). The other advantage is that if the device natively runs the game you can continue with the game even when you’re away from the TV/home console which won’t be the case with the WiiU. Honestly I think it could work, just depends on how smart SCE really is.

Generally though I prefer regular controllers for consoles and Keyb+Mouse but I think they have options here, it’s up to them to make best of it.

28. Dalekbuster523

@23 1.What the hell are Quad core processors and 3G enabled systems?Most people won’t even know what they are.Fail from Sony.
    2.Who’s really going to think “Wow,there’s two thumbsticks too!I’m so excited for one of these!”.Noone unless your a idiot.

Sony’s PSP Vita is a complete fail.Nobody will care about it,nobody will buy one.