Sections

SOE: Upcoming contract expiration, Old Republic release led to Star Wars Galaxies closure

Tuesday, 12th July 2011 10:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SOE president John Smedley has said that the upcoming closure of Star Wars Galaxies is due to numerous factors, including the expiration next year of its contract with LucasArts on the MMO.

Smedley also said that the release later this year of BioWare’s The Old Republic and “other business things” with Lucas resulted in the closure.

“It was time to turn it off,” said Smedley. “We have a contractual relationship that’s ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts.

“And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game. I think that’s going to be really well-received by the population.

“But it hurts. We knew, with the checkered past [of Galaxies], that this would not be a popular decision, but it was just one that we had to make.”

Smedley’s comments came at SOE’s Fan Faire event last week. Thanks, The Escapist.

Breaking news

6 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. Hunam

    I think the news worthy part here is that a gaming exec was being honest about something for once.

    #1 3 years ago
  2. Grimrita

    I think again, Smedley will be wrong. If Galaxies could switch to F2P, it could certainly plod along against SWTWoW. Both are totally different gaming experiences.

    Galaxies, is truely open world, has an excellent space element, against ‘on the rails’ experience in SWTWoW and of course, it has Darth Vader, player Bounties and a superb crafting system.

    Maybe Lucas decided due to the costs in developing the new MMO were so high, that it wants to turn all its attention to it. After all, LucasArts no longer really support PC gaming – bastards!

    #2 3 years ago
  3. orakaa

    @ Grimrita

    What you and other SWG fans don’t seem to understand is that SOE CAN’T turn SWG on a Free to play MMORPG.

    Why ? Because once the agreement they have with LucasArts ends in 2012, they won’t be allowed to keep SWG running in any form (Sony created the game but they don’t own SW franchise).

    As Bioware, EA and LucasArts have put a lot of efforts and money into SW Old Republic, they don’t want any “disturbance in the force”.
    If you’d ask me to choose between SWG on a F2P basis and SW TOR (with a monthly fee), I’d still go for SWG… especially after having been on SWTOR’s beta (the game is good, but it’s a carbon copy of Wow, with far less possibilities than SWG and the only good point of it is its story, all the rest is average or below average, and space combat is bad, really bad).

    #3 3 years ago
  4. Grimrita

    @ 3 – I totally understand. The decision is with LucasArts, who wont do it due to their next MMO arriving. Such a shame, but I do believe both could survive side by side, its just a shame that LucasArts are too blinkered to see that.

    And, as you have said( and me), Galaxies is totally open world, players can do what they want and it offers far more than SWTWoW will ever do.

    I’ve played the new MMO a few times and although it was ok, it was just that…ok. I wasnt blown away and doesnt bring anything new to the genre, apart from story.

    Despite the NGE, Galaxies has improved since then, bringing back so many old game features which has helped keep it alive this long. I hope LucasArts will reconsider their decision.

    They will have the best of all worlds then, Clone Wars, Original SW, and Old Republic settings.

    #4 3 years ago
  5. orakaa

    @ 3

    I totally agree with you. It’s a shame that a REAL MMORPG, with that much freedom and possibilities couldn’t be a major hit like WOW and become “the new standard”.

    Heck, I remember in my guild (I discovered SWG after NGE), we had a town, with a mayor, an engineer who would design all our spaceship parts, meetings, parties, politics and even a group of space mercenaries, helping on raid on Star Destroyers and so on (and Space combat was a full game in itself, and well executed on top of that).
    You could literally do ANYTHING you want…

    I think I’ll probably play SWTOR, but just for the story, and then stop my subscription… so far, it seems to be more a single player game than a real multiplayer one (would have preferred a KOTOR III).

    #5 3 years ago
  6. viralshag

    @5,

    I would have loved a KOTOR III, I will no doubt be playing SWTOR but I am far from sold on the game. Sadly, I haven’t gotten into any of the betas so I have to base my opinion on videos and screenshots, which in my opinion, look rather boring and like you both said, nothing more than ok or average.

    I hope I’m wrong and they bring a game to the table that will have me hooked but the game just doesn’t look like it will cater that will to the everyday MMO fan.

    #6 3 years ago