Rumour – Windows 8 to play Xbox 360 games

Tuesday, 12th July 2011 06:21 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Unless the console-free digital revolution is even closer than anticipated, pile some salt on this one. Rumour has it Xbox 360 games will be playable in Windows 8.

Insideris is citing anonymous sources in support of the next PC operating system’s feature set.

Playing Xbox 360 games in Windows 8 will apparently require a subscription fee, as Games for Windows Live did at launch.

However, the service will reportedly run on a separate network to Xbox Live, and will not support cross platform play due to controller incompatibility (which seems pretty bizarre given how many GFWL games support Xbox 360 controllers nowadays).

This literally incredible feature is said to be a ploy to expand the Xbox 360 platform’s lifespan as the hardware itself ages, ahead of the distant next generation. I’ll let you pick the holes in that.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. AJacks92

Even if this is possible…I see this is as unnecessary. The only thing that this would probably do is that it will enhance the graphics of the games (depending on the PC’s build), and that would not even be worth this “subscription fee”.

2. unacomn

I’m calling BS, on account of Xbox hardware sales going down the drain, at least in Europe.

3. endgame

I agree. nobody cares about console games anyway.

4. osric90

@3 Xbox 360 and Wii games.

5. Hybridpsycho

I call this extreme bullshit. Whoever came up with this rumour shud be shot.

The only time this would happen would be if microsoft added some kind of subscription or a more expensive version to the OS that would allow this.

Although, the whole thing with the conroller compatibility is indeed quite bizzare and therefor gives it away even more.

Stupid rumours

6. galaxy366

@5 Didn’t you read? There will be a subscription fee.

7. Grimrita

This would be a step BACK if Windows 8 did this. The only benefit they need to keep it the ability to use an xbox controller on the PC.

8. BraveLittleCrumpet

It doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

Why buy a 360 game for £40 when you could get the PC version for £25?
    If you really want to play an exclusive 360 title and you’re a gamer, the chances are you’ll have a 360 anyway.

It would make sense for some sort of Live integration in Windows 8 (like Windows Phone 7) but I very much doubt this will be it.

9. Zeydlitz

It’s simply impossible. To run xbox360 game microsoft should emulate pover5 architecture onto x86 platform, but xenon is 3-core 3.2GHz CPU, so it’s have more raw pover than any end-user x86 CPU (xenon’s flops are bigger than even extremal core i7). And CPU emulation is number 1 importance feature to crossgaming, even Playstation 2 old CPU require avesome amount of CPU power to emulate.

10. Blerk

Something smells decidedly fishy here.

11. Zarckan

File this under COMPLETE BOLLOCKS

12. loki

Most stupid rumor of the year

13. Erthazus

BOLLOCKS. Please stop using some fake Gameinformer rumors from Mr Dickenson’s.

Because:

1) you need to emulate Xbox 360 titles which is not impossible, but you need to emulate every game out there for the PC and make it work. It’s hard to do and no one will say that it’s going to bring some money.
    It’s impossible to do with the X86 platform.

2) every title must have a registration that they are going to be playable on the Windows platform and for that you need every publisher’s permission.

BULLSHIT.

14. pukem0n

the subscription fee wont make up for a lost console sale, so bullshit…

15. badboy_122

maybe arcade games or platformers like super meat boy or guardian of the light or limbo ..

I really hate rumors .

16. JonFE

I’m not in a position to know whether this is bullshit or not, but *if* it’s true/possible, I certainly wouldn’t mind to ensure playing my huge collection of x360 games (retail or arcade) on my PC, long after my x360 has died…

…and while emulating full retail x360 games on a poorly configured PC does sound difficult, it might be easier for XBL arcade games.

Also, keep in mind that console manufactures do not make the big bucks on hardware (consoles) but on software (games).

17. deadstoned

Looks and sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Microsoft hates its games running on PCs.

18. The Evil Pope

There is fuck all on the 360 that interests me. This feature would be pretty useless to me as a PC gamer.

19. silkvg247

Erm.. does not compute.

All Xbox games come out on PC anyway?

20. Hunam

They don’t. Not even close.

21. rainer

This is baloney but MS did at one point have plans for an add-in card for PC’s that would allow you to play Xbox 360 games, it was scraped because of security/piracy fears.

22. silkvg247

Well if they’d allow high res versions to run it might be worth my time, other than that I generally stick with PC games.

23. Kenshin1870

NICE if is true, for the lucky ones who got a powerful PC like me xDDDDDD

24. IL DUCE

@4 ok there ps3 fanboy

@8 technically you would buy a 360 game to be able to play on console and pc, unlike the pc game which would only be able to be play on pc…maybe so if you weren’t home you could play a 360 game on your laptop? Makes sense to me

I think its possible its just referring to XBLA games, but I wouldn’t doubt its possible for retail games, why not when all the cloud gaming and digital distribution is going on…if they transferred XBL to PC then why not have Games on Demand and the marketplace over there and maybe make 360 discs able to run on the PC, otherwise just keep it fully digital and once you downloaded it you could play it on PC or 360…so wherever you go with console, laptop or phone you are always connected to XBL and can always play your X Box games (obv not retail games on the phone)…