EA committed to offering games on Steam

Thursday, 7th July 2011 01:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA isn’t trying to muscle out Steam, Origin head David DeMartini has said, and offered some explanation for the recent withdrawal of EA games from Valve’s service.

“At EA, we want to bring the best possible content to our players … We want our products available to as many players as possible, which means we make them available in all the places that gamers go to download games and services,” DeMartini said in a blog post on EA’s website.

“To be very clear, except under extremely special circumstances we offer our games to every major download service including Amazon, Gamestop, and Steam.”

DeMartini referenced the “confusion” that arose after certain EA games began disappearing from Steam, which EA said was not it’s decision, but Valve’s.

The problem seems to be EA’s insistence on direct patching and content updates.

“We take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to our players. You are connecting to our servers, and we want to establish on ongoing relationship with you, to continue to give you the best possible gaming experience. This works well for our partnership with Gamestop, Amazon and other online retailers,” DeMartini explained.

“Unfortunately, if we’re not allowed to manage this experience directly and establish a relationship with you, it disrupts our ability to provide the support you expect and deserve. At present, there is only one download service that will not allow this relationship.

“This is not our choice, and unfortunately it is their customer base that is most impacted by this decision. We are working diligently to find a mutually agreeable solution.”

EA has made its policy on third-party games retailers available.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. badboy_122

they are really pissing me off with these spams … I don’t want these newsletters ….. EA stop harassing us please …. Steam stay strong baby ,don’t give in to this BS

2. Phoenixblight

Then don’t read them. If you are talking about actual emails then you chose to subscribe to them and there is a unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email.

3. badboy_122

@ 2
    you don’t get me , I know that

what I mean that this is the lamest excuse to pull their games from steam, it’s obviously because of origin and also maybe that they don’t want any middlemen in DLCs purchases … I don’t know … but something is fishy here .

you know it’s like that lame excuse that once microsoft said about why alan wake wasn’t released to PC because it’s more suitable for a couch than a PC chair.. I mean what the f***?.. you know these excuses always makes the one wonder

4. Phoenixblight

Any person that owns a business will want to remove the middle man. EA is removing the cut of any retailer by selling it directly through them which they have been doing for years, now it just has a name. Stop being a Steam Fanboy, Steam has done nothing for you. Steam is just a retailer that sells things cheap just like any retailer does only they specify with video games.

Has Valve bought you a house, got you a gf, funded you to go to school? No they have done none of these hell they haven’t done anything charitable.

5. badboy_122

no no no no @ 4

you’re a hater , I get it .. steam like any other retailer ..are you serious ?!!!

mention one please .. the same deals they offer

6. Phoenixblight

THey are a retailer that is it. They sell you games that is all that they offer. I buy games from them but that doesn’t warrant giving them my undying loyalty. Walmart has some really good prices for their things but that doesn’t make it so I defend them like they are the holy grail. All companies are out to make a buck that is it. Once you realize this, life becomes a lot easier.

7. badboy_122

I see your point , but when you use a service for a long time , and a good one in that , you don’t want it to change …that’s it

good talk BTW ;) @ 6

8. jacobvandy

This is a load of crap from EA. If they were so committed to offering their products for sale everywhere, why not just let Steam sell your crappy DLC and keep Crysis 2 on that service? I guarantee you they missed out on a TON of sales with the timing of this chest-thumping… A 50% discount and Crysis 2 plus DLC would have flown off Valve’s digital shelves this week.

9. ColdCoffee

#6 No steam doesn’t just sell you stuff like all the others. STEAM keeps you connected with other gamers. It has community features that are growing and growing. STEAM is the facebook of gaming. They helped out a ton of indie devs on the portal 2 launch for example by offering a pack and getting their game into more people by tying it to their most major launch. They give out free content and are starting to make all their games Free 2 Play! They use TF2 hats to boost sales on other games. THis is just the start of it once they release more free 2 play games. Valve games will bring in other gamers/dev around the globe and help out indies. VALVE are the kings of gaming. Everyone one should bow and take notes.

10. badboy_122

I thought I was alone in this @ 8 & 9 :D

11. Phoenixblight

“They give out free content and are starting to make all their games Free 2 Play!”

Why do you think that is? Think Long and hard about it. It starts with a M.

“They give out free content” Marketing tool

“VALVE are the kings of gaming. Everyone one should bow and take notes.”

Yeah how about that Half Life 3 and coming out with episodic content so it would be quicker? Steam is now just a marketing tool that Valve uses to make sure they are on the top as a digital retailer so they can sell their service much like Microsoft with Xbox or Sony with Playstation. Which none of these companies deserve loyalty where the money moves that is where they go. That is Why Steam is picking up the F2P strategy.

“why not just let Steam sell your crappy DLC and keep Crysis 2 on that service? ”

Is it too hard to fathom that Valve chose to remove them for whatever reason? Guess it is.

12. ColdCoffee

To me this is a way for EA to undermine the mission of Valve. Lets not forget that EA wanted to charge you money to be able to download your game past 2 years (EA downloader). It’s ironic that Origins logo looks like a blackhole. Because this service will drain all the light from all EA games.

P.S. BF3 preorder canceled…

13. Phoenixblight

“mission of Valve”

TO be the only digital retailer for the PC? TO sell as much video games as possible?

EA is just making so you can go directly to them much like you go to the Disney store for most Disney memorabilia or the Laker store. Man people getting all pissed that someone wants to sell their things directly.

14. darksied

@12 Oh boy, this is the same excuse every single person who hates EA is going to say from now on, isn’t it? EA is to blame, Valve rules. Well, here’s the thing, and SERIOUSLY think about it before your Valve-fanboy instincts take over: If EA wants all the money and doesn’t want to sell on Steam, why are ALL of their games still on steam except for one? Why is every single EA game on EVERY OTHER DOWNLOAD SERVICE? It’s not a hard thing to figure out: one game was taken off of Steam. They gave the reason above; now if you don’t believe them, then what can be said? That’s your paranoia that EA is out to get you or something, who knows.

“undermine the mission of Valve.” LOL. Undermine what mission, the one where Valve will make billions on digital distribution by having the largest market share on digital games? That might be there mission, because it sure isn’t making games anymore. It’s few and far between when you see a big release from Valve anymore.

And if THAT is what makes you cancel your pre-order of BF3, then I feel sorry for you, but at the same time I’m glad that you won’t be there enjoying it when it’s released; you can sit in the comfort of your chair and blame EA for screwing up the gaming world by trying to make money.

15. freedoms_stain

EA, you fucking morons, I WANT Steam to deliver patches. Know why? Steam is basically on when my PC is on. Maybe I won’t actually play any games at all today, but I can see what my buds are doing and maybe I’ll drop in on them, maybe I won’t.

But Steam is on anyway, and if one of my games needs a patch then it gets downloaded and installed, therefore when I go to play the game, it’s ready to play.

Now what do you want EA? You want me to use Origin? 2 programs instead of one? That doesn’t sound great to me, especially if it’s just going to cater to the 5 or so EA games I actually own out of dozens. But then again, I’m sure I heard that Origin doesn’t do auto-patching (correct me if I’m wrong somebody), so you want me to have wait while patches download and install when I fire the game up?

But lets face it, the mention of “patches and updates” was a feint to distract from the “additional content” part and “additional services”. Additional content is clearly dlc and I’m going to assume “additional services” refers to the “social” part of Origin. Those have got to be the crux. Steam is happy to have GFWL games on board and they use GFWL for patching and dlc and use Live for the social shit, so Origin must be doing something significantly different to raise Valves hackles about it.

16. Phoenixblight

I am not sure where you got in this article where it states that patches are exclusive to Origin because if you believe that you are a fool.

17. Grimrita

EA are already merging all EA accounts with Origin/EA Download Manager accounts now, so the moment you purchase BF3 for example and create a new EA Account, you will have an Origin account to go with it.

There’s no harm in publishers having their own DD service but EA are at risk of again pissing off gamers with their blinkered approach. And lets face it, EA really cant afford to do that again. They havent made a profit in years.

If it wasnt for their cash reserves from the 80s, they would probably be bust by now!

Longer term, I see that EA will only use Origin for updates, especially with SWTWoW because both have cost them so much money to develop and to please the shareholder, both need to be a success. Good luck, you’re gonna need it!

18. Lounds

I would take this statement with a pinch of salt, I bet that Valve told EA that they aren’t updating the steam version properly and as Steam is a world class product, they don’t want to sell a 3 legged horse.

19. Lounds

Also why is everyone doubting Half-life 3, one day it will be made, but I think valve is investing time and money to make a brillaint game, I think they want the shock factor of “omg that look amazing”, when HL2 came out it was probably one of the best looking games and the source engine was fun.

20. freedoms_stain

@17, I never said that, but it sounds implicit to me with “Unfortunately, if we’re not allowed to manage this experience directly…” that they’re inferring they want complete control over “providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to our players”. So what’s the beef with Steam?

21. Hybridpsycho

Geez, all tha haters here.

Guys, I love steam as well. But really? This much hate? People cancelling their BF3 Pre-order? Ye, let’s screw-up DICE ’cause you hate EA. Well, your loss on missing a good game :p

Also, what they’re saying here is to be read as anything coming from a larger company. They sugar-top everything to make it sound like they’re doing as good a job as they can.
    Doesn’t mean they’re bad guys though, Valve is most likely doing the same in alot of their messages (Haven’t seen one I can recall recently though).

But yeah, welcome to the world of business.

22. DSB

It’s not as if EA is categorically evil and Valve are just categorically good, they’re both trying to make money, but obviously Valve has gone a lot further to build their “white hat” image as a company, whereas EA obviously has no problem being an ambivalent brand.

The TF2 thing is the least they’ve done, look at their huge dedication to the indie community. Personally I don’t believe that’s just a marketing strategy. If you look at the way the company was built, Valve is essentially constructed on being inspired, and taking in people from those scenes, as well as enabling the public to create good content using their engines.

They’ve gone out of their way to help even tiny developers like Introversion, and just looking at the current sale, where indie games are once again placed right next to AAA titles, I think that goes far beyond any business strategy that they might be compelled to carry out for a few brownie points. Indie games clearly aren’t their best source of income.

That certainly makes me like supporting Valve, more than the alternatives.

EA wants to save money by bringing us to Origin, it’s as simple as that, and the way they’re choosing to do it is very aggressive, both towards the independent retail market, and by association, us as the consumers, by trying to force us onto Origin by keeping content away from us if we don’t. To me that’s incredibly stupid, and personally coercion like that doesn’t make me want to reward a company.

Not to mention that it’s the latest in a long line of advances that publishers have been making, towards things that have never been a problem before. Activision with their 60 euro packages and 12 euro DLC, EA with project 10 dollar, THQ online pass etc.

23. kumaCannon

Honestly If I am going to look at this from a consumer perspective I gain nothing from using Origin. I’ve seen EA’s pass business practices with DLC and their games, I now see what they are willing to do to make me use their digital service. I am not going to make a false equivalency that EA and Valve are the same.

Both have a common goal, to make money with video games. But one does it through offering me extras, like Alien swarm free, portal free, TF2 free. They offer me a myriad of sales were I can pick up a publishers catalog for a couple bucks. They offer indie titles right next to my big name companies. Their service is non-intrusive, I buy a valve game it works I keep going. I buy an EA game I sign into my EA, BIOWARE, account I have to then put a cd code in, I have to figure out which cd code is which, between the game and the dlc, or I don’t get my dlc. Now this is just my experience with them, but why would I want EA to do well with that type of service? Seriously EA isn’t offering anything new, or of better value over valve towards getting consumers. Unless they believe gamers Have to play their games, which to me is a very dangerous stance to take.

Most of all Steam keeps everything up to date, and working in one place with out me having to worry. If this works for EA, activision is next, then Ubisoft and then every other company, and sorry at that point I won’t be gaming any more. Origin is new and has given me no reason to trust them I am not going to suddenly compare them to valve and act as if they are equals. If having discriminating preferences makes me a fanboy so be it, but EA and their fans and defenders have to learn to deal with it. Because they aren’t going to win anybody over by just showing up, and restricting games and pointing fingers. If that was all it took GFWL would be tops by now.