Halo 4 to revisit series’ roots

Tuesday, 5th July 2011 00:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Halo 4 will channel “amazing” aspects of the original game, Microsoft has said.

“One of the key things with Halo 4 is going back to what made it amazing for people playing the first Halo,” Microsoft UK’s Stephen McGill told MCV.

“But the people who are 18 years old now were only eight when Halo appeared. They probably didn’t play it. That’s the opportunity the Anniversary pack and then Halo 4 have.”

McGill isn’t concerned by current competitors in a genre arguably popularised on consoles by Halo and Xbox Live.

“It’s different to Gears of War, it’s different to Call of Duty. So it stands alongside them,” he said.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary is due in Novermber to mark the franchise’s tenth birthday, while Halo 4 is expected at the end of 2012. Both are Xbox 360 exclusives.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Lewis247

I’m 18 and I remember halo. Not necessary the build up or anything but I do remember a friend owning an xbox and playing it there about 9 years ago I would imagine. Absolutely adore the halo franchise and I can’t wait for Halo 4. Still can’t get over a new trilogy, probably the best gaming news I have ever heard for a long time. Can’t wait to see how it pans out.

2. Erthazus

Ahh… So, bad engine, bland terrain, bland shooting mechanics, midgets all over the place with blasters, mediocre storytelling, copy pasted levels, dumb AI and of course amazing marketing campaign. Stay Classy Microsoft. 7-15 year old vultures are ready for “Shut up and take my money.jpg”

3. Mike W

@Erthazus

I agree with you, I think a good percent of the people that buy Halo is for the multiplayer. The story is not that good (at least to me it isn’t). But you have to give credit when it’s due. Microsoft and 343 industries know for a pure fact that they don’t have to do anything new to this title. All they have to do is put a Halo stamp on a empty box and 3.5 million people will buy it. That’s how naive and foolish some Halo fans are.

4. NoxNoctisUmbra

Back in the day Halo 1 was popular not only the multiplayer, it was one of those sandbox games, you could pick up a vehicle, make sure your AI marines jump in and had fun. the controlls were good for its time, made a good standard.Story, OK scify setting with some kind of ring story to it haha. It was great game for its time. but after Halo 2, 3 was OK game, but because its HALO it sold well. So many other great shooters. INstead of making Halo 4 same recepie, they should rename the game and

5. hitnrun

Bleghh. One thing that haters and fanboys can agree on when it comes to Halo is that the series does NOT need to be any more self-referential. Basically the last three games have been misty-eyed odes to the games before.

Cut the prophecies, the piano solos, the faux-Semper-Fi dreck ripped from Gears and the other bullshit and give us some aliens to shoot. Speaking as someone who played them all in ’08 after I got a 360, that’s what made Halo 1 so much fun. Tight, believable narrative, neat vehicles, overpowered weapons, challenging encounters.

I actually appreciated it way more than I thought I would, considering all the bitching I had heard about it (which in retrospect was probably console hate for the original Xbox).

6. Cee

How many times have we heard this from devs and publishers?…..shit loads….. and they rarely deliver

7. DaMan

Heh, thumbs up to MS, seeing as how CE’s engine in fact went as far as using pseudo ragdoll physics and shaders, as well as having probably the most impressive enemy AI for that era, and one of the most competent narratives among other stuff, it’s a good idea looking to it for the inspiration.

8. manamana

Does MS know that the average gamer is 37years old? Do they even care?

9. DrDamn

This is what Bungie said about Reach too. Most of the fans will consider this a good thing though.

10. Erthazus

@4, but whats the point?
    It’s not like introducing sandbox was a polished thing in the end. At that time i played Half-Life Deathmatch. Now That is a multiplayer or at the end of the day Unreal tournament in which gameplay was higher in every aspect or quake 3: Arena. It was so freakin popular back in the day.

But when Halo 2 came out it was not even hillarious with games like Half-Life 2 on the horizon.