Avalanche has “intelligence” on new consoles by 2014

Tuesday, 21st June 2011 00:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Avalanche’s next project is set for release on “next-generation platforms in 2014″, and New York studio head David Grijns has said the developer has “some intelligence” indicating a three year wait on new hardware.

“We obviously talk to everybody, and everybody talks to us,” Grijns told EDGE.

“We have some intelligence to go on that, by early 2014, we’re pretty sure there’ll be at least one next-generation console on the market.”

Although the studio head went on to say that anyone predicting the shape of the market in three years is “just blowing smoke”, Avalanche is “very confident” it’ll be ready for whatever does happen in 2014.

Co-founder Christofer Sundberg thinks any coming round of hardware will have to do more than support prettier graphics.

“I don’t think the industry needs better-looking games: I think it needs better games,” he said.

“If there is a way to push the bar in a few years then that’s fine, but the looks of games these days are so good that they don’t need to look better.

“What is more interesting is the ways that developers and publishers can find new ways of designing games – and more interesting gameplay and distribution models – rather than better-looking games.”

Avalanche’s comments come shortly after Crytek denied rumours it has hold of a next-gen Xbox consoles.

Avalanche is probably best known for Just Cause and its sequel. It’s current project is Renegade Ops, a downloadable twin-stick action game, with an unannounced “next-generation” project to follow.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. DSB

The plot thickens.

It’s been a long cycle though.

2. Phoenixblight

I don’t like Just Cause series but I do agree with what he says.

3. IL DUCE

Yeah, he’s wrong about graphics though…games do still need to look better, since the technology keeps improving there is no sense in not utilizing the tech, but yes games do need to be better and the new consoles will have to have new and interesting features (obviously)…but that 2014 guess sounds suspicious, especially since I heard Pachter say it several times on GameTrailers…so either they are talking to the same people, or they are just using Pachter’s guess as their “source”

4. Moonwalker1982

What about Crytek on MS’ new console….time will tell.

5. Christopher Jack

Well the most important thing for a next gen console would be a better online service, having new games available on demand(@ a reasonable price!) & at retail at the same date is a must have. Next important thing would be the power of the hardware then other kinky features like designs & features.
    Obviously other peoples’ views will vary, some feature like motion controls on the Wii or the superior media playing functions of the PS3 may be deal closers for many.

6. OlderGamer

I agree with him as well. Esp on the games don’t need better graphics. I have been saying for awhile the jump in graphics isn’t going to be all that big next gen. Its not what people are used to, so I sound crazy.

But I bet you we are only looking at a marginal improvment. Much like the way WiiU will move beyond PS360, the next PS/XB will move beyond WiiU.

Textures, framerates, and resolutions will be the noticable bits, and not by much. I hope to see faster load times, but if you have drasticly large games(Gigswise) the load times won’t feel any faster. I would really like to see better AI and deeper, more PC like improvments to console games.

But I think there is a limit to what a piece of hardware can do to a game. The limits will be in place with regaurds to storage, ISP speeds(less info being pushed back and forth over the net = faster smoother OMP gameplay), and mostly the dev cost and time it takes to create.

I think the last bit is the heavy here. No one wants to fund games that take 5 – 10 years to make. And no one wants to buy games priced at 100usd. While devs might be able to make games for super consoles, could they afford to make ‘em, could we afford to buy ‘em?

Nope.

Next gens systems will smooth out games, toss a new shine of gloss, and round out the edges, but I doubt we will see a revolution graphicly.

The scariest thing this gen to me is that with such a long generation lifecycle, i would have thought we would see more focus on game inovation. And if you count Move/Kinect as those – great. But instead, we have settled into a long lines of franchises and sequals, and copy cat games.

Unless its an Indie/Arcade/Steam/PSN style game, they all seem to be bluring together to me. So many AAA games are hohum imo.

And if new hardware is still three years out, could be a long wait. Thats one of the reasons I am looking forward to WiiU.

7. Phoenixblight

” Much like the way WiiU will move beyond PS360, the next PS/XB will move beyond WiiU.”

Nintendo already stated the WiiU will not outperform the current systems.

8. OlderGamer

…waits for the little magic lightbulb to lite up above your head.

Ah, exactly my point.

hehe, nagh really there will be growth graphicly from where we are now to where we will be with the next gen. Of course. But it won’t be drastic is all I am saying. And of course thats just my opinion.

9. Phoenixblight

I agree with everything you stated that people are looking for something grandiose and they will realize we are starting hit the cap graphically until we can move beyond polygons which we are not yet to that point with the industry.