Tropico 4′s launch trailer shows old skool city-building

Monday, 20th June 2011 17:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

With Tropico 4 releasing on PC and 360 on August 26, Kalypso’s gone all trailer-hectic today with an edit showing building-placement, natural disasters and much, much more. If you’re after next-gen Sim City with cigars and funky-assed dance music thrown in, it looks as though you could do far worse. Check it out.

1. Grimrita

If it wasnt for the likes of Steam, games like these just wouldnt get the shelf space at crappy retailers. I’ve loved all the games so far and cant wait for this. Nothing better than playing this on a Sunday evening to chill out with.

2. Patrick Garratt

I might give it a go, yep. Been a while since I played anything like this.

3. alterecho

Tropico 2 was awesome

4. DSB

It looks almost exactly like Tropico 3.

I enjoyed 1 and 3, but they all stop short of greatness. The scenarios just aren’t very interesting, the economic models are too simple, and the politics hardly matter.

Shame, because the concept is awesome.

5. Bluebird

I wish these would come out on PS3 as well. I loved the original, but my computer isn’t good enough to play anything anymore. :(

@4: Yeah, I agree. Still, kinda fun to build a communist system where everyone earns the same and no-one pays rent. Though that probably highlights the flaws in the economic model. :)

6. DSB

@5 Yeah, it’s absolutely excellent.

My own fetish is either executing or putting all the religious loons in prison for life :P

I just wish the game would respond more to stuff like that.

7. Erthazus

I enjoyed Tropico games. They have their flaws, but the third game was a good game no matter what. :D

this one i will get for sure.

8. On2wheels

Those funky-assed beats make me want to mix a margarita and chill out.

9. DSB

That’s one thing that’s kinda disturbing about Tropico, though.

It’s all very friendly, the music is all cheerful and the announcer is jolly as folk, but at the same time you can play as people like Papa Doc Duvalier, Augusto Pinochet or Juan Peron.

10. Erthazus

@8, same. I just hate when this game comes out in august. You just want to go and chill out rather then play Tropico.

I wish they could release it in winter when everything is damn cold.

11. Kuwabara

Hey erth, the graphics look shit, almost console like level

12. On2wheels

Ya, any summer release is bad for the social life, but good for not getting skin cancer.