Halo: Combat Evolved HD priced at £35 in UK

Thursday, 16th June 2011 11:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Microsoft’s confirmed to Videogamer that the HD re-release of Halo: Combat Evolved will launch in the UK at a price of £35. It’s £15 less than the RRP of a standard 360 game, but £5 less than a title priced by retail at £40. Halo: CE HD, which will celebrate the series’ tenth anniversary, will release on November 15.

1. Blerk

That’s at least £10 too much.

2. Razor

Dear oh dear oh dear.

3. alimokrane

£25 should be the absolute maximum. It’ll still sell loads. I wont be buying till it drops sub £10 anyway.

4. djhsecondnature

MGS Collection £40 for 3 games.
    Team ICO Collection £35 for 2.
    GoW Collection £25 for 2.
    Sly Collection £30 for 3.

Halo HD £35 for 1.

Ouch.

5. DrDamn

It’s got more potential costs for supporting the online element than other HD re-releases, but I still think this is too much. It’s not like the game looks remade from the shots released, it just look like the same assets rendered at a higher resolution.

6. Maximum Payne

Yea and they already use Reach engine for MP and the engine for SP is ugly IMO.Really good job on port. NOT!

7. Schtee

“[£35 is] £5 less than a title priced by retail at £40.” Cheers, Johnny!

8. Ge0force

It’s way overpriced but it will sell millions anyway. After the ridiculous high price for Child of Eden, this is another attempt on x360 to set higher standard prices.

9. Blerk

Eh? Child of Eden’s RRP is £39.99. That’s £10 cheaper than ‘usual’ RRP… how’s that ridiculous? Am I missing something important?

10. Ge0force

#9 Child of Eden is an on-rails arcade game with only five short levels (10 minutes each). The price for this should be 800MSP, not £39.99.

11. Blerk

Well, that’s a matter of opinion, I guess. It’s a brand new game and designed for repeat play, I’m only surprised they didn’t go for the full RRP.

12. Petulant Radish

£35 is only the RRP, most games RRP is £49.99 and how many of those are sold for that at launch at that price by online retailers? Most will sell this for £20-25 I would have thought.

13. StolenGlory

Just what I was going to say. £35 is just the RRP and as with pretty much all games, online retailers sell at a punt lower than that, so yeah, around the £25 mark seems likely.

14. Aimless

The price seems fine to me.

Comparing it to the other HD re-releases is disingenuous: this is a remake featuring new assets, modes and features. If you don’t want to pay £25-30 for it then wait until the price drops.

15. elisio

Child Of Eden should have been a downloadable game, priced at 1200MSP. I don’t see Ubisoft selling many copies of such a niche game at retail, not at that price anyway. I will get it but only because i can get it for free.
    As for the price of Halo: Combat Evolved HD, has the euro price been announced yet?

16. DrDamn

@12 & 13
    Shopto have pre-order for £30, Amazon and Play both on £35. I expect the latter two to come down pre-release but I’m not expecting it to get anywhere near £20-£25.

Are the original Halo servers still running? Or have they long been turned off long ago?

17. Fin

Halo was all P2P (if I remember).
    Halo 2′s servers were shut down early 2010, I think.

18. elisio

@16 the original Halo wasn’t playable online. This feature was introduced in Halo 2 and those servers have been turned off last year if i recall correctly.

19. DrDamn

Actually I will correct myself here – EG being a bit confusing and linking the original Halo screen shots to Halo Anniversary as “Latest shots” had me thinking little had been done campaign wise. They have remastered/remodelled things so maybe it is a bit more worthy than I thought of a higher price point.

20. Gadzooks!

£35 is a great RRP, that should equate to around £25 in shops. It’s worth that and much more.

#5 Halo Anniversary CE actually runs two engines symultaneously. You can play the original upscaled, then at the press of a button switch to entirely new assets in a new rendering engine with up-to-date textures and lighting.

#10 You may want to read some CoE reviews. You will find that you couldnt be more wrong.

21. Deacon

@ 7 – I lol’d :D

22. M. K.

So much hate? I’m no Halo fan. Loved the first, played the second, then no more. But a remake of Halo 1 with brand new engine, multiplayer, achievements and full xbox live support for 39,95€? I’ll seriously consider buying it :)

23. monkeyman

bollocks to that… where do micro$haft get there prices from??? I wish these companys would work on new ips and stop re-hashing any old franchise again.. and again.. and again… but then we as gamers still go out and buy it so i guess we all are to blame!

24. minxamo

I heard it was $40.
    what the fuck??

25. DaMan

Like #14 said, this is a full fledged remake similar to Tomb Raider Anniversary, MGS The Twin Snakes or REmake, not just ‘hd collection’.

26. Gadzooks!

They remastered Halo CE because of the overwhelming number of people asking for it, simple as that.

It’s fan service, and as a fan I feel like my voice is being heard and my wants are being addressed by the devs and publisher.

27. Ge0force

#11 A brand new game? I guess you haven’t played Rez before? :)

But really, XBLA is full of games with lots more content than Child of Eden, and those games aren’t on-rails so may have a lot more replayability.

28. Gadzooks!

#27

You obviously still have not read a review. Try being informed before commenting, it will save later embarassment.

29. OrbitMonkey

What a rip off!! No fucking way am I paying that much >¦(

Though if it comes bundled with a limited edition 360 for £180, then i’ll be interested….& no I don’t see a contradiction :)

30. Ge0force

#28 I have played the game myself, and most reviews confirm what a say: nice, but lack of content.

31. Dralen

I’ll probably wait until the price goes down then. I’m actually quite a big halo fan, but I’m not paying that much for something I already own.

32. M. K.

You own the first halo game based on a new engine, hd resolution, multiplayer and achievements? Cool story br0.

33. Mike

It’ll be £25 online.

34. BeLGaRaTh

To mix up a quote by the beatles,

You say Halo, and I say goodbye …

35. LOLshock94

STOP YOUR BITCHING SERIOUSLY WHEN THE GAME FIRST CAME OUT IT WAS £40 NOW IT HAS BETTER GRAPHICS AND SHIT WITH REACH ONLINE ITS TOTALLY WORTH £35 YOU GAY CUNTS YOUR BITCHING IS JUST KILLING THE INDUSTRY

36. LOLshock94

“MGS Collection £40 for 3 games.
    Team ICO Collection £35 for 2.
    GoW Collection £25 for 2.
    Sly Collection £30 for 3.

Halo HD £35 for 1.”

all of those games are HD this is a REMAKE theres a difference….. and btw ICO collection £35 is more of a rip then halo REMAKE so get it right before being a retard