Gears of War 3 has “zero chance” of PS3 port, sports 90 minutes of cutscene

Wednesday, 15th June 2011 01:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Outspoken designer Cliff Bleszinski has put his foot down on speculation the Gears of War series will ever come to PlayStation 3.

“I would say in the foreseeable future there’s zero chances of Gears of War being on the PlayStation 3,” Bleszinski told IndustryGamers.

“Can we bury that now? Seriously. It’s like, we have a great deal with Microsoft, they’re a great partner…”

Reminded of comments from president Mike Capps to the effect that Epic wanted to make the console leap, Bleszinski was dismissive.

“It’s one of those things that would be exciting news,” he said, before taking one of his famous jabs at the PS3′s controller.

“Hopefully DualShock would get tweaked a little bit, but anyway, enough about that.”

Gears of War 3 is due exclusively – got that? – on Xbox 360 in Septmber, and will feature one and a half hours of cutscene according to a BBFC listing.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. Hunam

Look at all that juice!

2. Kuwabara

Thank God cliffy!, keep that game on xbox 360, for it would be dead without it.

3. Bloodyghost

lol I love his last comment thats unreleated…..

CliffyB is the man. Sure he can be a twat to some but I love the man for being so open and hilarious to the fans. Plus he is hell of a Power Design Director.

4. onlineatron

Not a massive fan of Mr. B – he said on Twitter that gamers hate on Kudo Tsunoda because he has ‘style’, which is a offensive on multiple levels, not least that Kudo’s style is quite vulgar – but I appreciate him telling people to shut up about a port.

PS3 fans rag on the Gears franchise, but constantly badger Cliff about the game, it’s weird.

5. Hunam

It’s no different than Xbox gamers going on about MGS4 for 2 straight years.

6. korn93

what about pc?

7. Razor

Microsoft-published game has zero chance of coming to PS3?

News at eleven!

8. AJacks92

Only 90 min of cutscene footage? No character development much? Funny how MGS4 has a single cutscene that’s already more than 90 min.

Come to think of it…what’s the total amount of cutscene footage in MGS4 alone? I’m guesstimating a solid 10-15 hours of pure cinema.

9. Henry

Cliff B is talking about the whole Gears franchise.

For Gears3, with MS being the publisher, it has been confirmed long long long~~~~~~~~~~time ago that it’s a XB360-exclusive.

So, would the author correct the article’s title?

Or you are trying to create a false impression that Gears3 is possible to appear on PS3?

10. G1GAHURTZ

I despise any cutscene that’s more than a few seconds long, or isn’t skipable.

11. AJacks92

Ah, I see. You’re one of those guys…a gamer who only enjoys gameplay and not the plot and storyline/360 gamers. Lol, yeah that’s right. I shot the first flame arrow ;)

12. Hybridpsycho

It’s all ’cause he has a 360 stuck up his ass. Guess I’ll just have to play it on the 360 then :/

13. gamestx

Don’t worry Cliff.. not interested in Gears at all. Stop assuming and put yourself so highly thinking that Gears is the only 3rd person game out there worth playing.

14. TraceableX

LOL he can GTFO. DS3 is awesome and as for Gears, no need to it. PS3 have Gears killer anyway. I don’t need to remind him of 2009 GOTY

15. HeavenlyGamer

Like anyone playing Uncharted 2 (or 3 in the future) on his/her PS3 is going to say: ‘gee, this is amazing but I really wish I could play Gears of War on my PS3′. Gears of War = overrated.

16. G1GAHURTZ

@11:

Playing > watching.

17. Schindet Nemo

@16 I assume you can’t stand RPGs then?

18. Ge0force

No need for that Cliffy, Ps3-gamers don’t like a whole game shooting behind cover anyway.

19. Christopher Jack

@GHZ, I kind of agree with you, I don’t mind cutscenes, as long as I’ve got the option to skip it-if it’s not skippable, it better only be a few seconds long. I’m not saying that I don’t like cutscenes, some are excellent but I still want that choice.
    I don’t mind the Gears franchise, but as a whole, it seems like the Jack of all trades but master of none-The story is weak, the gameplay is nice & fluid but far from perfect, the graphics are great-especially for a console game but the colour palette is awful, the MP is forgettable & horde could be improved(GoW3 seems to be fixing that).

20. polygem

Im no fan of cb and not a huge fan of gears. I played both games and they are good enjoable games, but theyre not on my classics list. I like his jabs on the ds controller because this and the ps store and psn in general are the weak spots of the ps3. Ps3 is a great console so dont get me wrong. Still the dualshock is almost unplayable for me and i dont wanna buy ugly 3rd party stuff. This is why i go 360. This might change next gen and im excited about vita. @8&11: thats the reason i never liked mgs4. Its just too much. You dont need hours of cutscenes to tell a great story in a game. If you do that you just dont understand the medium imho. Its broken design. You cannot use an interactive medium and then force the user to just watch stuff for hours. Its a bad design decission. That doesnt mean i dont enjoy a great story in a game, but i only enjoy it when i can explore it myself rather than just consume it. Srry if theres much typo. Posted via phone on the fly…

21. minxamo

Wow, plenty of butthurt in the comments…

22. Blerk

Nothing brings the retard quite like a “successful game X is never coming to platform Y” story. :-)

23. manamana

^ true but “console X seems more powerful than console Y” does also a fine job. :-)

24. milijoon

gears always is for micrsofts
    sony not have autarchy for this

25. KL

^ E.T go HOME

26. _LarZen_

The Gears series is good, but it aint THAT good.

27. farhad23

go to HELL cliffy baby
    we dont care about your repeatitive game ! we have uncharted franchise with better graphics better story line better characters and almost better EVERYTHING.
    and about DS3 . i cant believe peaple complain about this controller have you guys ever tried to play street fighter or mortal kombat with xbx controller ?
    not all games are shooters for gods sake
    DS3 is a perfect controller for a CONSOLE , if you are in love with shooters console is not your best option
    this guy is really going on my nerves i still cant believe his rude comments about shitty kinect on E3!!

28. Hunam

DS3 isn’t even as good as a DS2. So your point is kinda held back by that.

Also, I am astonished after posting that bile you can call him rude with a straight face.

29. Blerk

DS3′s better than Sixaxis, though. :-)

30. manamana

@28 you play StreetFighter with a controller? Are you mad? Go and buy yourself a proper arcade-stick before I start rude comments on Kinect too! :-D

31. DaMan

Dualshock is tripe for anything involving fast responses except fighting games. Fps, tps, racing. Besides it ‘s less comfortable to hold anyway and generally designed for people with smaller hands.

Also, as much as I dislike this retarded whack a mole game called Gears, it’s a dedicated online tps, Uncharted’s tacked on omp doesn’t hold a candle to it.

32. nikk900

Good thing to, what else has microsoft got… fable… halo…