FFXIII-2 70 percent complete, features branching dialogue

Tuesday, 14th June 2011 05:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A number of snippets of information have snuck out of Japanese press following Final Fantasy XIII-2′s E3 showing.

Andriasang reports the latest issue of Shonen Jump has the game at 70 percent completion.

In a leaked interview with Dengeki, director Motomu Toriyama made a mysterious reference to the possibility that FFXIII-2 will ship on fewer discs on Xbox 360 than PlayStation 3. The cause for this reversal is said to be reliance on real-time cut scenes rather than cinematics.

Other escaped details include the prominence of new protagonists over FFXIII’s hero, Lightning; individual AI for NPCs in towns; and the reappearance of FFXIII’s Snow – apparently free from jealousy, is the spoiler-free way to put it.

More intriguingly, the game will feature something called a Live Trigger dialogue system, allowing for interactive conversations and different content on multiple play-throughs. Toriyama said the new system will make conversation mo0re enjoyable rather than direct the course of the plot.

Thanks, CVG.

1. KL

“director Motomu Toriyama made a mysterious reference to the possibility that FFXIII-2 will ship on fewer discs on Xbox 360 than PlayStation 3.”

ermm you’ve got it a little bit wrong there.It says fewer discs on xbox 360,meaning fewer than it’s predecessor’s 3 discs.Not playstation 3,it makes no sense :)
    Anyhow they should have dropped CGI a long time ago.they’re starting to learn or so it seems

2. Blerk

70% done, eh? That’s most of the CGI, then – just the music to sort out now. Oh, and the game. Best not forget that this time.

3. Deacon

Glad to hear about the cut-scenes. CGI’s great and all but it’s not needed in these games and often comes out as some frantic blur where it’s hard to tell what’s even going on.

I’m not a fan of the branching dialogue and multiple endings… having to playthrough FFXIII more than once would’ve been really painful. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed my first playthrough despite its chortcomings, but having to go back to the start of that monster-corridor and spend another 10 hours until I have full control? No thanks.

I fucking wish they’d include the Japanese voices to the PS3 version. HOW HARD CAN IT BE FFS.

4. Espers

@1 Final Fantasy was always out of the league by its perfect CGI and Precise Close to Reality Animation. Dropping it makes me sad :( but also gave me the impression that FF-XIII-2 is a half project .. because if it was a full project it would include a lot of CGI and re-innovation of gameplay while in this one they emphasized more on re-innovating gameplay for the sake of marketing only and nothing else !!

5. Espers

Final Fantasy XIII was always leading the fans and surprising them, however hearing now from toriyama and kitase that we want to listen to fans, really disappoint me ,, because now you can expect what it will be and there are no surprises. I wonder if this approach is related to their sales report. However I do think they are slaughtering Final Fantasy little by little !!