FFXIII-2: Multiple endings confirmed, inspired by RDR, HD towns “too boring”

Thursday, 9th June 2011 09:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Final Fantasy XIII-2 duo Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama have dropped a ton of new info on the game in a new interview, confirming that multiple endings will feature for the first time in the Final Fantasy series.

Specifics on how they would work weren’t given, but a lot more details will be announced at TGS in September.

“There isn’t an awful lot I can tell you on this subject, but we have changed that structure, because obviously people didn’t like it—there is a new one,” Toriyama told RPGSite when asked about using a chapter-based system for XIII-2. “For details on that, we’ll have to wait until TGS, but one thing I can tell you is that for the first time in the Final Fantasy series, XIII-2 will have multiple endings.”

Toriyama added that it had been inspired by Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption in making FFXIII-2, saying there would be side missions in the RPG, “a bit like in Red Dead Redemption.”

“Among the millions of games that came out last year, Red Dead Redemption was adored by a lot of Japanese developers, including ourselves,” he continued.

“Our game is not as open-field as that game, obviously. We did take some inspirations, however. For example, missions can happen anywhere rather than having to go to a certain shrine, or base or something, and that’s from them. In this game you see lots and lots of chocobos and you can ride them. The kind of feeling you get as you ride the chocobo, it’s a bit like the way you ride a horse.

“It’s a really refreshing feel good experience, and that’s one thing we learned from the game.”

Despite being lambasted for having a lack of traditional towns to explore in XIII – a previous interview mentioned development on them was “very hard” – Toriyama added that development on towns from PS1 era games, such as FFVII-IX, would be “quite boring.”

Final Fantasy XIII-2 launches early next year for PS3 and 360.

1. locus2k1

Correct me if I’m wrong… but didnt FFX-2 have multiple endings? Three I think – Normal, Good, and 100% ending.

Still, good to hear they are doing their best to make it more open then XIII :D

2. Monk

Bring FF Versus, I couldn`t care less about this one !

3. BloodyJoe

FFX-2 had also different endings! Yes! Man I love this game!

4. Deacon

“It’s a really refreshing feel good experience”

I’m feeling more cynical about this with every passing day.

Please SQenix.. I could care less about side-quests and explorable towns.. Just give us an ENGROSSING and ENGAGING storyline like VII or VIII had. With dialogue that doesn’t completely suck.

5. Hunam

So now they are flat out making excuses about towns because they can’t do them properly. They need to get a clue.

6. Krono

Well at least they’re taking ideas from a great game.
    I like the idea (not sure if this is exactly what they’re getting at) of having side quests become available at certain parts throughout the game.

7. Espers

OH YEAH !! more OPEN !!! as if GRAN PULSE was small and linear and didn’t have any side quests !!! damn it !! There were many hidden places in FF-XIII which was a pleasant experience to discover them instead of opening a walk through guide !!

To Toriyama and Kitase I say: ” If you want to change it into a western style game play then it won’t be final fantasy anymore ”

and the good thing I liked about Final Fantasy XIII is that it doesn’t have any graphics glitches like many western games where the characters look stupid and sometimes they hang when close to an obstacle. So please don’t screw the game.

I haven’t even saw perfect Character animation like I did in Final Fantasy XIII

8. Espers

@4 if you wanted to see and hear a great dialogue, emotions and character animation. I advise you to get the ASIAN VERSION of FF-XIII with Japanese voice acting and english subs. My friend has the english version and I’d tell you it’s a way different experience in Japanese.

9. Phoenixblight

@8 Listening to it in Japanese and reading English text is not going to save any game. The story is still the same no matter how you cut it.

10. ehab

@9 He probably meant the relatively better voice acting which would make the experience relatively better. I tend to agree with that. But everyone’s different and it’s not a rule.

11. Avatar226

i could have sworn x-2 had multi ending by completion percentage…..