BioWare announces Kinect implementation for Mass Effect 3

Monday, 6th June 2011 17:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ray Muzyka stepped onto the stage at Microsoft’s E3 press event today, and announced Kinect support for Mass Effect 3.

“It’s unlike anything else out there,” he said as Casey Hudson was controlling Shepard with the standard controller and using his voice with Kinect.

Kinect works in combat, utilizing strategic control and allowing players to give Shepard’s party members orders in combat. The demo showed Liara and Garrus as well as hand-to-hand combat.

Myzyka said Mass Effect 3 will be the “best in the series,” after the firm “set the bar” with Mass Effect 2.

He said more will be shown at the EA booth at E3.

1. Blerk

What exactly can I order Liara to do? :-D

/interest possibly piqued

2. Freek

It looked so incredibly stupid and pointless. And totally does not need Kinect at all. Ubisoft was doing that via the headset years ago in End War and nobody liked it.
    And saying the dialogue options out loud? Even dumber, that’s why we have voice actors.

3. Gekidami

I missed the ME3 bit, but i just saw the Ghost Recon bit… As impressive as the menu stuff is, they honestly expect people to play the game like that?

4. Freek

If MS paid 10 million to make that you would believe it too.
    To the rest of us, it’s just the Wii and Move mistake all over again: tacking motion control onto things that do not need it rather then making fresh experiences that play to the strenghts of the system.

5. Gadzooks!

Hmmm, not really what I wanted from Kinect integration. The microphone is kinda the wrong part of Kinect to concentrate on…

6. Gurdil

Well unlike everyone here I kinda like this kinect feature. I mean the dialogue options thing is plain stupid that’s for sure! But I find the voice control during combat actually interesting. Sure it doesn’t justify the purchase of a Kinect but as I already bought it (and am frustrated never to use it), it just seems like a fun feature. Not revolutionary but still fun.
    Only problem is I wanted to play on my PC, not my Xbox… :S

7. viralshag

The game looks great. The combat looks intense. Graphics still hold up well.

So WTF is all this speaking commands bollocks? The dialogue options I don’t like at all. In combat… maybe. Totally agree with #2 Freek though: “that’s why we have voice actors.” It seems very gimmicky, something this great franchise should stay away from.

In my opinion they nailed the combat, controls and dialogue in ME2. They should focus on bringing solid gameplay, action and voice acting. Not gay talky nonsense.