Monolith making FPS Gotham City Imposters for download

Monday, 16th May 2011 18:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Warner’s just announced at its pre-E3 event a brand-new downloadable Batman FPS known as Gotham City Imposters.

Developed by F.E.A.R. developer Monolith, the title will be a 4v4 multiplayer affair, where players will become an “imposter” on either Team Bats (Batman) or Team Jokers (The Joker).

“Gotham City Impostors blows apart expectations for superhero games with an exaggerated take on first person shooters, set in a part of the DC Universe players have never seen before,” said Warner’s SVP of production and development, Samantha Ryan.

“Monolith is creating a game that turns Gotham City upside down and we think fans are going to have a blast with this creative twist on multiplayer heroism and anti-heroism as they play up the classic rivalry between Batman and The Joker.”

Kotaku‘s just gone live with a hands-on of the game.

A downloadable Batman title has been speculated as far back as February, with Warner registering domains for Gotham City Imposters at about the same time

No date yet. It’s coming to PSN, Xbox Live and PC. Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Hunam

What the hell…

2. Hunam

Seriously, that sounds like the stupidest concept for a game.

3. Maximum Payne

First,I was like new project gotham(racing) then I read FPS,4vs4 Monolith,Fear and thought its new IP and THEN I figure that is freaking BATMAN!! Yea …stupidest concept for a game agree.

4. nofear360

I can imagine how this went down with Warner Bros. executives at a brain-storming meeting for Arkham City cross-promotion:

A: “Gamers LOVE FPS, so… why don’t we add the two together?!?!”
    B: “Brilliant!”
    C: “It TOTALLY makes sense!”

5. LOLshock94

noooooooo this must be a joke seriously

6. Johnny Cullen

Warner’s literally just press released it for the UK crowd.

7. Nozz

This should be an interesting one O_o

8. DJ Deathstar

IGN are saying this is a Third person shooter not a FPS?

9. Von Dies

I understand how everyone is all “this is a shit idea,” but what if the game comes out….and its actually fun?

10. Gama_888

Everyone seems to be bashing this pretty quickly.
    i think it sounds quite interesting, could be fun :)

11. Johnny Cullen

@8 – They’re definitely wrong, then. Press release says first-person shooter. Either that or Warner was somehow taken over whilst writing the press release and decided to write first, not third-person.

12. AHA-Lambda

this sounds like an awful idea

13. YoungZer0

@9: Well it is Monolith. So let’s wait and see.

14. BraveArse

#9 “I understand how everyone is all “this is a shit idea,””

Me too – it’s because this is the internet, and particularly, it’s the section of the internet dedicated to gamers… the home of “meh”.

/also reckons this could be fun. If the psn and xbla markets are allowing space for big name companies to come up with ideas as wild as this and run with them then hoo-fucking-ray I say.

15. Gekidami

Actually, this could be awesome if its a team playing in first person as goons, Vs. someone playing as the Batman in third person. Sort of like that Splinter Cell MP.

16. The_Red

Godddddammmit. I’ve been waiting for a new AAA title from Monolith for ages and what I get is a downloadable Batman shooter.. :(

17. OrbitMonkey

Erm how does a shooter in the Batman universe work? None of the hero’s use them & Batman himself has a understandable aversion.

If I could have a game set in that universe, i’d like one based on the series Gotham Central. Being a ordinary cop in the GCPD would be a good twist

18. NeoSquall

@1 My thought exactly.

19. minxamo

“You’ll be able to customise your loadouts, your character and your costume through various gametypes and maps.”
    Oh ok, so it Call of Batman then?

20. Von Dies

Thought you all might like to see this:

21. Blerk

I… er…. what? :shock:

22. StolenGlory

BATMAN DOESN’T SHOOT PEOPLE.

23. Gurdil

I don’t wanna be a dick but… Seriously? That’s the worst Batman-related idea I have ever read! Hope I’ll be proven wrong but I can’t seem to imagine how that could work out being a good game.
    First, Batman doesn’t have a freakin’ team. Ok I got it, they’re impostors blablabla… So basically I’m to be a brainless wannabe hero with a gun in Gotham City? No thanks, I’d rather be Batman or a brainless wannabe hero in another setup. Second, assuming we play impostors, why the frak would we play as teams?!? How does it make sense that someone who pretends to be Batman works with other batmen?!? And last but not least, there are waaaay too many FPSes around (and shitty ones at that).
    I’m not usually one to criticize a game before seeing it but, come on! You gotta see why this concept is utter BS!

24. Blerk

Wow, the Kotaku write-up makes it sound even worse than it already did. Well done, Warner! That’s quite the achievement.

25. Stephany Nunneley

Added the art from the press release in there.

26. YoungZer0

The artwork really doesn’t help. At all.