Svensson: Capcom’s interest in PC market “growing”

Friday, 13th May 2011 11:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Capcom has said that the profile of PC gaming inside the publisher is one that is “growing,” although insists improvement is still to be done.

US VP Christian Svensson has said in a blog on Unity that senior execs at the company are now pushing for the platform to be recognised in terms of content.

“The push for PC gaming within Capcom over the years has been lead by a select few people. I’m one, putting my money where my mouth is with my forecasts,” said Svensson.

“Similarly our European COO, David Reeves and our head of Capcom Germany, Michael Auer have also been vocal proponents. Takeuchi-san and the MT Framework team have been the biggest supporters on the development side. I’m happy to say that those few select people are getting increasing support from a broader array of stakeholders globally.”

He continued: “Looking back a ways, we were the first non-Valve game to do a Steam integration. What is now known as Steamworks, was initiated as a project where Valve worked with Capcom to pull bits of their Half-Life libraries apart so that we could integrate them into Lost Planet 1 (which incidentally was also the first commercial DirectX10 game on the market). It was a very visionary step at that time, especially for a Japanese developer where the PC market historically has been rather muted.”

Svensson added: “At green light meetings, our Japanese COO and the head of the consumer and online software business increasingly request a PC version if one is not being proposed at the outset of a project.”

Capcom has plenty of content lined up for PC this year, including Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City, Dead Rising 2: Off The Record and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, to name just a few.

1. loki

LOL Capcom’s PC ports still fail. Idiots

2. Keivz

Isn’t this old news? Anyway, can we expect a PC port of MVC 3? No? Ok, well then fine.

3. Maximum Payne

Why on EARTH would you want MVC3 on PC?! Even people who love fighting games are not impressed with that game.
    BTW On PC you are going to get new Resident evil and Dead Rising and if game sell well,Dragon Dogma’…

4. Edo

I sure love that MT Framework engine,the gfx are sharp and crisp while at the same time not too demanding on system requirements.

5. deadstoned

Capcoms games look pretty good, but most use GFWL and I see a lot selling on amazon for £4 like Lost Planet 2. Seriously Capcom drop GFWL then we’ll talk =D

6. Hunam

MVC3 isn’t good. I don’t mind skipping the stinkers tbh.

7. Ali Mofadal

capcpm ports are good for me, the only bad thing is they use GFWL but other than that their games are great.

8. Ge0force

#5 Lost Planet 2 is an awful game, not even worth £4.

9. TheWulf

Then give us Marvel vs Capcom 3 you massive bloody ninnies! In the casual market that exists on the PC, something like that could excel where Street Fighter IV failed. I felt that SF IV was purely for the fans, it felt very outdated and ignored a lot of evolution that’s gone on in fighters since, but MvsC 3 is something that could really sell.

But, of course, MvsC3 is probably the only fighter we’ll not see on the PC. I really don’t understand corporate thought processes, I really don’t.

10. TheWulf

I respectfully disagree. I felt that it was a very modern and enjoyable fighter, more in the vein of recent fighters like Guilty Gear, and less like the great grandfather fighters of old. I don’t want to live in the past.