Soul Calibur V details confirm guest appearances and more

Friday, 13th May 2011 14:05 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Some details pulled from the transcript of Hisaharu Tago’s Soul Calibur V presentation in Dubai earlier in the week has brought a few extra nuggets on the title to light.

As reported by Keza during the liveblog, the game takes place 17-years after the last outing, and Sophitia’s children are central to the game’s story. Her son Patroklos will play a more specific role, as the game contains a”generational shift” in the series.

According to the folks over at IGN, Patroklos and his sister Pyrrha were affected by the evil inherit in the Soul Edge as youngsters, and could now be bound to the fate of the sword. What this does, is create a possible scenario where one must fight for good while the other fights for evil.

Both the swords – Soul Edge and Soul Caliber – will have been redesigned and are portrayed as short swords as opposed to their two-handed weapon form in the earlier titles. The story of the game will explain why at some point and time.

Tago showed a transcript of the game during the show, which “stressed” that developers Project Soul,  want Soul Caliber V to feel “light and elegant,” so the game’s being made  in such a way that it can be easily picked up by newcomers. Moves and combos will be far easier to execute than in earlier titles, and Tago also assured that the team is committed to creating an enhanced online experience.

During a Q&A session, Tago revealed that character creation will be making a comeback and there will also be guest appearances by characters from outside of the SC universe. Fan-favorites like Siegfried will make a return, but due to the timeline of the game, they’ll have aged considerably.

Soul Caliber V is scheduled for a 2012 release on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Expect more details to emerge during E3 next month.

1. Freek

So a completly new cast with some old characters returning or the old cast with a few new ones?

2. Gurdil

“Moves and combos will be far easier to execute than in earlier titles”

So… They were supposed to be hard? oO

Don’t get me wrong, I love the SC series but it’s really not a hardcore fighter. Even the first one had quite easy moves to execute. This series is more about having fun right at the beginning while playing with friends who don’t know the game too well, IMO.

3. StolenGlory

Meh, hopefully they’ve gotten over their Star Wars fetish and we won’t have any more ‘celebs’ from that universe considering how unbalanced they were.

4. SamaT

@2 I was thinking the same thing about how easy the moves were to execute. Then I thought about some of the moves on the movelist. Particularly the ones where the button inputs had to have precise timing. Some of those were hard as a fool to do.

@3 Algol was worse than the star wars characters. I didn’t have nearly as much trouble fighting them than Algol online. RIDICULOUS.

5. Gurdil

@4 true, some moves were quite ridiculous to execute. I kinda forgot about them since I mainly play with friends, not so much online (hence I don’t use them lol). And I also agree on Algol: freakin’ unbalanced!

6. TheWulf

As long as the Lizardman is back, I’m content.

7. LOLshock94

^^^took the words out of my mouth

8. xino

what do they mean by short swords?
    unless each characters can now wield two swords as once.
    Because looking at pass games two handed swords means grabbing 1 sword using both your hands. And the developer confirming Calibur & Edge will be short swords meaning with a short sword it should be lighter and shouldn’t be wielded with both hands.

Are they referring that every character can now wield both sword and shield together?

“so the game’s being made in such a way that it can be easily picked up by newcomers. ”
    Yes they can do that as long as they can prevent newbs from spamming same attacks:/

All I hope for this game is to have content like Mortal Kombat and Dead Or Alive Dimensions. If they can’t pull that off then I’m renting this.