Brink updates for 360, PSN and Steam detailed

Wednesday, 11th May 2011 20:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Splash Damage has posted a Brink update over on the firm’s official site, which details some of the in-game issues which the firm is aware of or have already addressed with an update.

According to the post, written by co-founder Paul Wedgewood, on the Xbox 360 end, a game update went live at launch which addressed “several of the issues raised in some of the early US reviews of the game,” and it also included some “major improvements,” such as significantly reduced texture loading times which were fixed via hard-drive caching.

“It also improves client prediction when playing online – in other words, you’ll experience much less ‘rubber banding’ in multiplayer,” said Wedgewood. “We’ve also fixed several issues that could lead to the game freezing, and resolved an issue where Brink would insist on playing all of the training videos rather than just the introductory one.

“We’ve also been getting new reports of lag when playing online, especially in matches with lots of human players. We’re all huge multiplayer fans here at the office and we know how important a lag-free online experience is. We’re urgently investigating this issue and seeing what we can do to improve things in that area. Stay tuned.”

To apply the update if you haven’t already, just restart the game while your 360 is connected to the internet.

An update to the PS3 version was also released on Monday, which incorporated the same fixes for the Xbox 360 version. In addition, host migration has also seen “several improvements,” as well, and an issue where the Ability Wheel sometimes displayed the wrong class abilities was also taken car of.

This update also fixes several potential freezes now only plays the introductory tutorial video at the initial prompt, rather than all of them like with the Xbox 360 fix..

“Even though PSN is currently offline, you’ll still be able to get this update if your console is connected to the internet,” said Wedgewood. “Once PSN is back online, we’ll closely monitor player feedback for this platform.”

On the PC side, a game update is on its way to Steam which will be bringing two immediate improvements.

“It greatly enhances the crash reports we’re getting through Steam, with more detailed information coming our way from now on,” he said. “While this doesn’t sound very exciting for you as a player, it’s really useful for the Brink team as it’ll allow us to track down the underlying issues much more quickly and work on fixes for them – particularly stability issues relating to compatibility.

“This update also fixes an issue where closing the game before getting to the character selection screen can corrupt your character data and make it unusable. Until the game update comes out, we strongly recommend not shutting Brink down during start-up to avoid this issue altogether.”

In other PC news, the brink team is working with Bethesda to “solve any hardware compatibility issues that people have been reporting,” especially with AMD card owners. Wedgewood suggests you first of all make sure you have the most current driver update, which should “solve a fair few of the visual and performance issues out there.”

The same goes for those running an Nvidia card.

“The next game update for the PC version is already in the works, and includes a fix for the FOV issue some of you have been reporting on the forums, among several other things,” added Wedgewood. “We’ll have more information to share on that soon.”

More details regarding the Brink statistics VIP code included with copies of the game will be announced soon, and when the statistic site launches here, players will be able to register a profile and use the VIP code to link your Gamertag, PSN ID, and Steam ID.

Brink was released yesterday in the US and is out Friday in the UK.

1. SlayerGT

In this day and age, especially with online shooters, I don’t understand why a beta or demo is not put out before release. One to stress test and two to get a feel for how a fps “feels”. With DLC and the like bein such a big part of the industry these days it should be more common. It raises a red flag for me when a game’s reviews hit the day it releases, or after, and there is no demo released. I thank the gods Volition put out a demo of RF:A.

2. Johnny Cullen

My promo copy is coming tomorrow. *rubs hands with soooooooo muuuuuuuuuch gleeeeeeeeeee*

3. ManuOtaku

#2 lucky you, i hope you like the game and tell us what you think about it, please.

4. Gekidami

So i heard this only has 8 maps, with no real single player. And they honestly want people to pay a full games price for this? Ha!

5. ManuOtaku

#4 you can play those maps also on single player, it has single player but is the same game as the multiplayer, for what i did read in some reviews.

6. Redh3lix

It’s coming across as a ‘core’ shooter and not for the COD kiddies = +1 from me.

7. OlderGamer

I never understood why some people fuss over SP Stories when looking at a FPS. Those Story type games are better suited for, IMO, games like Heavy Rain and Alan Wake.

FPS games are all about the twitch action(w/variable amounts of depth and tactics depending on the game). And that type of gameplay lends itself to be played online MP. I enjoy games that have offline modes that play as if they were online. Its like playing online w/o the kids screaming in your ears.

8. On2wheels

NICE! Thank you SD & Bethesda.

9. M. K.

Well, maybe it’s good, that I’m still waiting for my copy :D

10. HauntaVirus

Please add controller support for PC version :)

11. Erthazus

@4, Yes. Why not? Battlefield, Half-Life 1,2: Deathmatch and Unreal tournament. Quake 3 did that before.

It’s about multiplayer niche crowd.

12. xino

when all the hate reviews from US arrived.
    I cancelled my preorder just to make sure I don’t waste my money on garbage (like I recently did on Thor>:/).

unfortunately Zavvi quickly tapped my card’s ass and charged me man, so I can’t cancel.

reason why I wanted to cancel was to rent the game, seriously there’s no point playing the game on ps3 right now.
    The game’s main focus is online interaction and without PSN, its garbage.

That is why many ps3 fanboys over at N4G are bashing this game. Because they mis understood the story campaign and how it was designed.

This game is meant to be played online not offline! if played offline it would feel like Unreal tournament bots

13. Hunam

@10 For an MP game, controller support is pointless as you’ll just get annihilated over and over using it.

The game does sound like it was let out the oven a bit too early, instead of sticking it forward a week maybe they should have gone back a month or so after the inevitable LA Noire A Bomb has subsided. We all know Rockstar/2K own May now. It’s their month.

14. Moonwalker1982

I don’t understand why some people complain about that the game only has 8 maps and only one real gameplay mode. Ok let’s just say, it’s too bad that there’s no team dm and some other modes maybe. But at the end of the day, i always only play one mode in online games.

I heard from people who played alot of Team Fortress and Enemy Territory that one gameplay mode is fine and won’t start to get boring. And those games are similar to Brink. I really like the freedom in Brink and i miss that in shooters like COD. Personally i’ve grown so tired of COD, i don’t care anymore for it. I’m definitely getting Brink.

15. manamana

What buggles me at most, is what @1 said. Plus getting the game out and bugfixing it a week later, is just a bad habit of building good software. Its not that I mind bugfixes in the first place. But bugs like slow texture rendering had to be issued during developement. It just isn’t smart. I’ll rent that sucker.

16. funkymunky

It really sucks when you pay £35 for the privilege of beta testing unfinished games. After Homefront, Crysis 2 and now this I wont touch another 360 FPS on release and will wait a week or two to see how it plays for people before shelling out my hard earned cash.
    There are some good ideas in this game, but its definitely not a full price title, there isn’t enough depth to justify full price. The SP is truly awful, the bots are just retarded, words just cant describe how painful the SP can be with the mindless bots. Add in the fact you can max your MP level in a few hours of play and I just can’t see people staying interested that long.
    This game will be dead next week once LA Noire ships out, I’m dumping mine before most people realise how bad it is and I can recover most of what I paid for it.

17. IL DUCE

@4 oh because CoD and Halo came out with so much more maps on day 1…not, I’m pretty sure Halo had 9 and CoD usually has 10 including some tiny maps..consider Brink more like a Left 4 Dead where the multiplayer is the same as the single player just with player controlled enemies (which I really don’t know why it hasn’t gotten that comparison more often because it is exactly the same idea just with double the maps and oh double the players)

18. Gekidami

^ Blops had 14 default maps, and Halo Reach 9 (Halo 3 i think had 12). And both of those games offered REAL single player, not just bot matches. Brinks content is outright shameful, it would be passable for a digital game, but not a full price retail product.

You seem to be under the impression i value L4D, imo is one of the laziest series released this gen (and yes, i include the weak number of maps in that), selling on nothing more the ‘zombie fad’ and the fact “Valve” is written on the box.

19. DaMan

Reach had 9 if you count all the Forge World maps as one (14 or something if taken separately).