Dark Souls out September in Japan, October elsewhere

Tuesday, 10th May 2011 21:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A new video for Dark Souls has been released, and it looks as though we’ll all be in for some more rage-filled, controller-tossing, cat-stomping gameplay in October in the west.

Well, not the cat stomping bit, obviously, but yes, you know how upsetting that game could be – but in a statistically awesome way.

This week’s issue of Famitsu is confirming a Japanese launch of September, according to Andriasang. Japan will get the game for PS3 only. The west will get it for PS3 and 360 from Namco.

According to details gleaned from Dengeki PlayStation last month, the game is not a narrative-driven RPG, even though it has a story, and the setting has the main character as an “Undying” who comes back to life after being killed and has cast himself out from society.

There is a new Oath system, healing items will be put in better places around the game world, and it will last around the 60-hour mark.

No DLC or demo is planned for the title.

Namco is holding a press conference in Dubai very early in the morning BST, so it’s likely we’ll hear more about Dark Souls through Keza’s liveblog.

Thanks, Dutch.

1. Bleak Harvest

HNNNNNNGGG

(About as constructive as I can be).

2. Erthazus

Looks awesome.

3. KAP

@1 How about “epic”?

4. YoungZer0

*yawn* Hopefully it has a decent art-direction this time around, otherwise i might not touch it.

5. monkeygourmet

Troll Hunters coming for you:

Anyway, this looks fantastic! Im halfway through Demon Souls on the PS3 but can’t continue till the PSN goes back online! :( It’s killing me as i was just getting the ‘hang’ of it!

Will prob get this on 360 as most of my friends list plays on Xbox. Can’t wait!!!

6. YoungZer0

@5: Decent movie. Still, the game had an embarrassing art-direction.

7. Monk

I`m not ready for this !

8. monkeygourmet

Why did you find it embarassing? I thought the art direction combined with it’s terrifyingly tense atmosphere created one of the most unique games this gen.

9. YoungZer0

@8: Character-Design was all over the place. As was rest of the art-direction. Unfocused. Typography and character-creator are also part of the art-direction.

10. BraveArse

Probably the game I’m waiting the most for this year. I imported Demons Souls not long after its HK release and it’s still my favourite game of this gen.

11. monkeygourmet

Strange, i didn’t get that feeling atall. The charecter-creator did generate some complete abominations though, hopefully that’ll be fixed for this game.

I loved all the enemy designs and each ‘world’ i’ve visited so far i’ve found really enjoyable (especially considering the amount of play throughs each require.)

12. monkeygourmet

Is PS3 region free on all import games? And blu ray movies (i guess not)?

13. AHA-Lambda

that looked awesome +D

then i was just reminded of how much i sucked at demon’s souls =(

14. Nozz

I think I saw about 3 or 4 situations that would have resulted in an inst-death. Awesome!

The enemies look great too! lets just hope the co-op is better implemented this time, not that demon’s souls was bad but it would have been nice to invite my friend who was just starting out or even join him in his game.

15. The_Red

Is it being made by the exact same team as Demon’s Souls? (Same director, producer, level designer and others). Does anyone know?

16. BraveArse

11.

Don’t quote me but I think PS3 games are region free but blu-rays are not. No expert though, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will tell you I’m wrong in about 5 minutes time :)

17. Telepathic.Geometry

PS3 Games are indeed region-free, movies are region-locked.

Also, as regards Dark Souls coming out in October: WHOOOOOO, FUCK YEAH!!! Just in time for my birthday.

18. Hunam

@15 Yep, same team, same people.

19. Telepathic.Geometry

I should add that I finally got a pure bladestone on Monday night, giving me my hard-earned platinum in Demon’s Souls. Bring on the Dark Souls!

20. Psychotext

God, I remember farming for that. Overandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandover.

21. Telepathic.Geometry

I had 99 shards of archstone to get the job done, and I told myself that if I didn’t get it inside that window, I’d give up. I had the perfect equipment to get to that 4-2 skelly asap, and before long I was mega efficient. In fact, I was watching Thor while I farmed, and on my last shard of archstone it popped for me.

My rage and dismay vanished, replaced by relief and vindication. Sharp Uchigatana +5 GET!

22. Telepathic.Geometry

By the way, it says October, but where? Japan, America?

23. Gadzooks!

#4

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion but I doubt you’ll find many people who agree with you :)

Personally I thought the art direction was superb. I thought the visuals were restrained and created a very gloomy, tense atmosphere which matched the gameplay perfectly.

The one thing I really need changed from Demons Souls is the co-op mechanics. The stones idea, whilst interesting, really didnt work for me at all. I want to invite specific people, not have useless randoms join and die in seconds then quit.

24. Blerk

Looking good!

25. DrDamn

Yep games are region free but you may want to take DLC into account as that would need to be bought from the store of the region the game is for. Can make things a little more complicated.

Just to echo what others have said – I found the art direction from sound to graphics perfectly in keeping with the atmosphere the game was trying to produce. Loved it.

26. AHA-Lambda

collectors edition

damn bad ass box art

i feel like i should give demon’s souls another chance now =(

27. YoungZer0

I see most of you don’t understand where art-direction starts and where it ends. Oh well.

28. Gadzooks!

Why dont you tell us where you think it starts and ends then, instead of stropping off like a teenager?

29. Telepathic.Geometry

I’d look at the bad-ass in the picture above and I’d stop worrying about art direction.

30. YoungZer0

@28: Already said what i didn’t like about it. Especially the Typography was embarrassing.

31. BraveArse

Embarrassing typography? Embarassing? In what way? Did you do the typography? Is that why you are personally ashamed of it? Did it detail all your childhood secrets?

Tell it to someone who hasn’t got an art degree.

edit: and by the way – the typography was perfectly in keeping with the atmosphere and era the game was set in. If you genuinely know your typography then you’ll know that the font used is a modified version of this font: http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=405815

I’m looking at it right now and am struggling to muster a blush.

32. BraveArse

/deep breath

Anyway – still undecided about which format to get this on. IIRC the PS3 and 360 versions are simultaneous releases in the west but in the east the PS3 version will be out first.

Do I import on PS3 just to get a month’s head start? And then buy it on 360 when it releases here? Probably…

/is very definitely a FROM fan

33. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that in Japan there’ll only be a PS3 version.

34. BraveArse

You still out there T.G? /remembers the Tai Chi thread on EG :)

35. YoungZer0

@31: Man, some’s getting touchy here. The Font is butt-ugly and there is a shitload of thousands (some of ‘em free) of better ones that would’ve had fit in the era the game is set in (What era, btw.). You can use this font for headlines, but i wouldn’t recommend it. Using this font for every text in the game just goes to show that the people involved didn’t hire decent typographists.

Sure it get’s the job done. But good typography is not about that. Good typography makes the most boring text exciting and interesting. You really want to read that text and it doesn’t even matter what the content is. Pay more attention to games that get it right, like Mass Effect or Assassin’s Creed 2 for example.

Doesn’t matter that you don’t have an art degree, but should still understand the importance of Typography.

I’m hoping they get it right this time around. As this has been one of FROM SOFTWARE’s biggest flaws. They always get lazy when it comes to huds, interface and typography.

36. Gadzooks!

#35

Dude, its just a font. Does the font really ruin the game for you?

37. YoungZer0

@36: No, it’s not just that. I’m not really a fan of it’s frustrating gameplay. And as i said before, the rest of the art-direction didn’t appeal to me. I looked at it and really thought: Wow, that’s just amateurish.

To be fair Dark Souls looks better.