PS3 hits 50 million units sold, Move passes 8 million

Friday, 15th April 2011 07:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Following the release of last night’s NPD figures, Sony’s confirmed that PS3 has now passed the 50 million sales mark and that motion controller Move has now sold more than 8 million units.

Sony’s confirmed that, as of March 29, PS3 has achieved a “sell in” unit sales number of 50 million worldwide.

Xbox 360′s last official sales update put the machine at 50.8 million units. This figure was announced at CES in January.

Move has also passed a significant sales figure, Sony said today, besting 8 million units as of April 3.

Move launched in September 2010 in North America, Europe and general Asia, and in October 2010 in Japan.

Move was supported by 155 games as of March 24. In addition, the number of stereoscopic 3D games available for PS3 has reached 89 as of April 1.

In total, more than 480 million units of PS3 software has now been sold globally.

Sony added that PSN now has 75 million registered accounts and operates in 59 “countries and regions” around the world.

1. Heinekeno

15% increase of sales goes thanks to GeoHot, Sony should pay him 1Mio $ for sales increase!

2. Robo_1

Good to see Move doing well. I hope they back it up now with lots of great software.

3. OrbitMonkey

Anyone in the UK interested In Move, Game/Gamestation has the starter kit for £29.99

4. mojo

1: I think u greatly overestimate a non-robust hack like the ps3 one is.
    more likely 1.5%, if at all.

this is not like a nds r4 “fire and forget” card.

only when a hack reaches this quality and ease of use it will significantly influence the product.

Should be real close to 360 now.. should only be a stone’s throw now…

5. a7md1990

i bet itz gona outsell the 360 be4 the end of the year

6. M. K.

It’s not just about the hack it’s also publicity :) If there’re some people who don’t know a thing about this “hacked ps3″ than they walk to a store ask for a ps3, some stupid salesman tells them it’s awesome and they buy it :D

(I know it’s not really like that, but I didn’t have a coffee yet :/)

7. nikk900

@ 6 Unless you work at the gamestation where I work, my boss always tells anyone who wants a PS3 to get an xbox instead. Before I worked there none of the people there played anything but cod on 360.

Then when I started telling customers about the cool things PS3 does my co-workers were like “oh I didn’t know it had a web browser” and “I didn’t know you could do that”. Since I’ve been there three of them have got PS3s, but I just think if I hadn’t been there they would still be thinking that it’s not as good as 360.

I think the main thing is that as a company GAME/Gamestation are very pro 360 because microsoft pay alot of money for endorsement/advertising. Same with activision and nintendo, you will notice when a 360 exclusive is comming it is hyped like mad eg – we are already premoting Gears of war 3 but when it’s a PS3 game you barely get a poster up for a week eg – uncharted 1 & 2 had zero promotion other than the game sitting on the shelf.

8. daytripper

@7 Well surely thats up to Sony to do more to promote their games and supply the material

9. nikk900

@8 Sony dose general promotion themselves but they just don’t pay what the likes of microsoft pay, microsoft go further like sending us cod shirts to wear for the launch of mw2 with xbox and microsft written all over it.

Plus it’s not like microsoft say here’s some money to promote us. It’s more like here’s some money ‘wink wink’ and suddenly every game advertised is on 360 and in small writing at bottom “also on ps3″.

Basically the company chooses to support microsoft more because microsoft ‘support’ them, I’m not bashing microsoft for paying there way in, I just don’t like it but money makes the world go round I guess.

10. OlderGamer

I feel bad for Sony.

No, not that the PS3 is finnaly catching up, but instead that now that it has, the game is going to change.

The next generation is right around the corner. It starts with Nintendo, MS will follow, and maybe even Apple.

Its like a dance, once Sony found the rythem, someone goes and changes the music.

11. DaMan

if someone doesn’t advertise their stuff as well as the competition, that means they’re either not good enough and prefer corporate smack talk instead, or don’t want to spend the money.

12. bluffbluff03

So Move got 8 million after 7 months and Kinect after 1 1/2 months….at all: both hardwares sell quite good. So I would say Microsoft and Sony now reached the causal-market.

13. PEYJ

I don’t believe the next gen is right around the corner. Nintendo’s mashines are never really for the Epic Games/Dice crowd, and it doesn’t seem likely that MS or Sony will release a new console in the very nearest future. Furthermore, a lot customers will not join the next-gen in the first couple of years and that’s when a cheaper PS3 sells through.

14. irontag

OF course 360 up to day have sold more than ps3. I have bought 3 360 .And I am counting that i am not the only one who bought it more than 1 time..Cause of it failing on me.