Sony’s NGP 2011 US launch “reconfirmed”

Wednesday, 13th April 2011 12:58 GMT By Stace Harman

US investment company Lazard Capital Markets has published a report claiming a 2011 US NGP launch was confirmed by Sony at a recent analyst day. UK and European launch details remain unconfirmed.

MCV has reported that representatives of Lazard Capital attended the analyst day held by SCEA, where the 2011 US launch date was ‘reconfirmed,’ but that Sony was less clear on the UK and European date.

Said the research firm: “A 2011 launch for NGP was reconfirmed, although we expect pricing will be unveiled around the E3 conference. We remain somewhat concerned that an initially high price point could limit the market opportunity for NGP, since Sony continues to balance profitability goals with unit sales.”

The report also revealed that PSN has 75 million registered accounts worldwide, and that 1.4 billion pieces of content have been downloaded since launch.

Previous speculation has suggested a November 11 European launch for NGP, though E3 will likely yield more details.

1. Ge0force

I really hope for an European release in 2011 as well!

2. StolenGlory

2011. Make it happen!

3. Erthazus

2011 for european release from Sony? Impossible.

4. Christopher Jack

Wasn’t the original PSP released like half a year later in Europe than America? SCEE really need to get their act together, they have the largest audience.

5. SOMI

This better blast those lame ass Nitnendo of the gaming market, I hope they do since they made us gamers miserable since the NES days.

6. StolenGlory

Sony had better do it, or i’m going to rickroll the shit out of them with Rickroll 2.0:

7. ManuOtaku

#5 If miserable stands for saving the industry in the 80´s with the NES well i guess they made us very miserable, i agree with you

8. ManuOtaku

On topic iam only waiting for the price confirmation i do hope the price is not tha high,although latest info made it seem that way, because iam gonna get it no matter what, but cheaper doesnt gonna hurt anybody, that and the 3ds, damn this year will be to much for my money allowance.

9. SOMI

@7 how did they save the industry with their NES it didn’t even cross the 100M mark let lone the 65M mark, terrible numbers and they’ve been declining ever since expect Wii, shame they didn’t die like they should have.

10. ManuOtaku

Man do some researh prior stating your wrong opinion, the NES save the home console industry with the debacle of atari and games like E.T, nintendo made home consoles attractive again to consumers with a batch of quality games, very different for the low standards of atari latest easy-money graving games, is true they sales decline but the n64 pass the 40 million units sold, that was not bad if you look this gen numbers, except the wii of course, the only low sales console nintendo had was the gamecube with almost 20 million unit solds, therefore is only one bad home consoles in terms of sale, that doesnt make them a failure or a bad company, i like the gamecube for the nintendo titles and some exclusives like baiten kaitos and eternal darkness for those games it was worth it, and keep in mind it was more powerfull than the ps2,technically speaking, just behind the xbox.

I hope they keep in business just for their core games and some exclusives tittles made by them, and this is wihtout talking about the handled market.
    I understand you dont like it,thats your taste and i respect that, but you cannot denny their importance in this market.,

11. SOMI

@10 you need research too, N64 didn’t pass 40M at all it stopped at 32.3M or so. GameCube almost had 20M it did 21M so it did just over. They are not important, how can they, they’re losing fans by the minute while Sony Playstation is massive, and it’s growing by the minute.

12. Ireland Michael

@10 You underestimate SOMI’s ability to ignore facts, reasoning and logic when it comes to Nintendo.

@11 Yeah, so massive that all of Nintendo’s hardware has outsold Sony’s. Hahahaha!

13. Esper

I don’t trust any entity named Lazard.

14. SOMI

@ so what if GC was more powerful than PS2, PS2 smashed it to bits selling more than 5 times the GC Lt sales!!!

15. ManuOtaku

#11 It was 32.9 almost 33, my mistake i thougt it was close to 40 million, again my mistake and i accept it,

16. ManuOtaku

#14 like this gen wii smashed the ps3 , just being “two gamecube taped together”, what goes around comes around

17. daytripper

what is it with playstation fanboys that make them the most obnoxious, boring cunts on the internet? every website i go – vg247/ign/eurogamer/cvg/neogaf/nowgamer/teamxbox/psu they are always the first to mouth off, moan, petition, make unjustified statements and go over the top.

and before any upstart gets upset i said “fanboys” not “fans”.

18. Ireland Michael

@14 And then the Wii turned around and smashed the PS3. Hahaha. At the rate the PS3 is selling, it would take another three or four years just to pass out the Wii’s current figures.

You know, the “massive” PS3 that’s sitting in third place.

19. SOMI

@18, PS3 at 51M and Wii at 87.10M, good going, let’s hope they hit that 100M mark this year. PS3 at third place, they will soon be 2nd but they may not get to first with them being about 30M behind Wii.

20. OlderGamer

Nintendo is the only company that when they put out new consoles, I buy em. I don’t ask. I don’t research, I don’t worry about it. I just buy em. I know what I am getting.

I don’t have to spend every waking moment playing games on it. But I do play on it. And looking back, I still use my NES, SNES, N64, and GC. I rarely use my PSone or PS2. But the Nintendo games almost always hold up over time.

I don’t think anyone else can say that. And I own almost every console ever made.

SMB64 is still a great and fun 3d Platformer. And is just as good today when it came out. The N64 Zelda games are fantastic. I use N64 examples because people will often think of N64 as Nintendo weakest system. But all systems have amazing Nintendo games. From SMB3, Super Metriod, Smash Bros, to Donkey Kong Returns(Wii). Nintendo puts out a quality product. And those products last the ages.

Go play a few PSone games. Most have not aged well. Go play some PS2 games, most of those have been replaced with better looking versions with added MP(like the Call of Duty games for example, or the Resident Evil ones or GT. It isn’t that Nintendo hasn’t recycled liscenses too, it is just that compare Legend of Zelda on the SNES to Twilight Princess of the Wii and the SNES version is still something worth playing. Go compare Residnet Evil one or GT one to the new versions of those games today. The old ones wouldn’t be worth your time.

While Nintendo gets a bad rap amoung the so called(and self anointed) Hardcore Gamers, most of us in the general public understand that with Nintendo we get a solid product hosting quality Nintendo made games. And thats worth a purchase each and every time.

21. mojo

18 ah come on dude.
    this blog is for the core.
    The core only counts the core.

tbh idc about 50 million casuals/trend whores who bought the wii and let it dust to death.

casual and trend buyers aside and the equation isnt quite so clear anymore.

sure, recently the core platforms made the leap to the casual with movenect but come on, the vast majority of the audience is not interested in fitness games or crappy flashgames ive played ten years ago on newgrounds for free.
    sure, analysts do care about wii selling like hot cakes. but im not analyst, im gamer. and i think its an impressice achievement for both ms and sony to sell 50 mio in 5 respectivly 4 years to an almost core only audience.
    u cant realy compare wii and ps360 in that regard, coz they are aiming for a different audience.
    like cars are always gonna sell more then motorcycles.
    cars (wii) are for everyone (casual and core), motorcycles(PC,PS360) for the enthusiasts (core) of driving (gaming).

think about that what u want, even call me a fanboy, what ever, idc.
    And no, this does not mean nintendo only does casual. they also do core. but they do way more casual as ms/sony, hence the stellar sales. its that simple.

22. Ireland Michael

I am “the core”, and no other console has ever gathered my family around the TV quite like the Wii has.

So yeah, I fully embrace the casuals with open arms. Some “core” gamers could probably learn something from them… like not treating one’s preference of format like it’s some sort of sign of intelligence and worth, and not agreeing with your choice as some form of ignorance.

*waves at TEA*

23. ultramega

FUCK YES

24. OlderGamer

Mojo, do you honestly have any idea how many women play games?

I play Rift, PC MMOs can be pretty Core experiences. My guild is half female, My GM is a Husband/Wife team. My wife maxed and twinked out her toon in WoW.

My wife has spent quality time in games that range from Civilization to Mechassult, to Mario to Diablo. Her all time fav game has to be Zuma. And she has a line up of XBLArcade games that include Pinball, Zuma, Bust-a-Move, Boogie Bunnies, Tourchlight, Battlefield 1943, and Monday Night Combat.

Do you have any idea how much of an ass to say that playing one game is somehow more valuable then playing another. Or putting someone down because they play a puzzle game instead of a FPS. I mean really?

People like different things.

I put countless hours and countless quaters into playing Pacman. Thats considered pretty casual thesedays. I have enjoyed th ehell out of Pinball games in arcades too – fastforward to today and I own Zen Pinball FX(2) on PSN and XBLA. Why? Because I am somehow less of a gamer then you? Nope, its because I loved playing Pinball machines years and years ago. So I buy the video game ones today, and I enjoy them a lot.

People play games because they enjoy them. There is no bad here.

But this idea of soccer moms, you bought into the garbage haters have been selling. I invite you to expand your mind a bit.

Oh and btw, over the course of your lifetime I can gaurente the games that you play will change. What you once think of as cool and worthy, won’t interest you at some point. Think of it like cartoons. Maybe you once watched Poke’mon or Yugi or Scooby or Super Friends, but now you watch Battle for LA or Supernatural instead.

As you change so will your tastes. Its just entertainmanet after all. And people are different. And entertained by different things.

Its all good. ‘Tis all I am saying.

25. mojo

uh, eh, what?

“Do you have any idea how much of an ass to say that playing one game is somehow more valuable then playing another.”
    yes i have an idea of that. what u dont see is, that i never said anything like that.
    Or are u aiming at my core/casual comments?
    Face it, there is the core and there is the casual. as much as u want to deny it but thats how it is. even platformholders and game creators distinguish between both groups, so i guess theres at least a bit of truth in it.

“People play games because they enjoy them. There is no bad here.”
    ive never said anything like that.

“If a six year old girl wants to play Barbies Kingdom, where is the harm in that? She likes what she likes.”
    there is no harm.

i wount go on, coz u completly misunderstood my point.

ok, maybe its because of that:
    “Soccer moms is not what we as core gamers want a platform holder to aim for. so i think its totaly ok to say wii bombed hard for us.”
    the “want” here is not ment like “hey microsonyntendo, u can fuck off if u go for casual”. its ment like “every bit of core is what i want. there is also other stuff which is totaly ok, but what i like is the cutting edge fps/hardcore rpg/sim racer/… stuff”

“I have enjoyed th ehell out of Pinball games in arcades to”
    i consider that s pretty much hardcore!

“better then u”?
    come on, this is getting ridicoulus.
    ive never judged about core/casual in my post. ive said how i see it why nintendo has so much more sales. but i surely didnt put judging in it.
    or did i?

26. tmac2011

sweet this year , im deffinetlly buying this, i will be there at bestbuy for the release or wherever i can get one!

27. OlderGamer

@Mojo, hmm maybe I did.

I was talking about the Core vs Casual markets to begin with. I don’t see a large difference. Other then saying that different games are made for different gamers. But I think that is universal(in that a Racer offer different experience then a RPG, for example).

Where I think traditional demographic (core)gamers have a hard time is when games that no longer apeal to them come out in large numbers.

But I also was saying that I believe gamers tatstes will change. And when we factor in that older gamers(like me) still play games that can influence the kind of games that are being made. Add into that said older gamers bring in wifes/gfs and kids(boys and girls) that grow up playing games. Then there becomes a much larger range of gamers tastes to satisfy.

Unfortunatly, from where I sit, there are far too many Mrated shooters and OMP experiences out there. Its almost like if you don’t like those there is something wrong with you. You feel like your on the ouside looking in.

But what will happen eventualy, is that there will be far more gamers out there that don’t want those games then ones that do. I doubt a Gears game will ever go away, but I bet that there will be a lot more so called casual games out there then core ones.

I think we are seeing that begining now. On the PC, XBLA/PSN, and of course Wii.

Women are a growing gaming demographic, I don’t think it is cool to devalue that is all.

Sorry if that felt like an attack or something, wasn’t intended as one.

28. Lounds

EU release this year, I doubt it, and why has everyone gone off subject talking about consoles, not hand held consoles?

Either way PS2 is king of sales end of and had the biggest collection of any games compared to any other console in exsistance, so don’t give me shit about great NES/SNES/N64 titles who gives a crap.

King of MP will always be PC as well.

29. ManuOtaku

Also i like to add that all “core” gamers started at some point as “casual” gamers, which means eventually “casual” gamers will become “core” gamers, and in the end that will be great for the industry and for us, with more games on both sides of the same coin.

And IMHO we need to stop differentiating ourselfs, i mean gamers, our hobbie is just niche enough, even today, although this is shifting in good ways compare to before, we need to stand as a one nation right now more than ever, so to speak, dividing ourselves will not make better the things for our beloved hobbie.

30. DaMan

PS2 also had the biggest collection of crappy titles, quality =/= quantity. MD/Snes or PSX easily had just as many and even more good games.

I always found the core/casual differentiation a tad bit silly, say GTA3 was considered a casual game back in the days.

31. Christopher Jack

@12, Only if you include handhelds. With just home consoles, Sony has sold about 33% more than Nintendo. Also Nintendo has had 9 years on their hand before the PlayStation exploded & made gaming ‘cool’.
    By cool I mean reached a much larger demographic than Nintendo ever could until now but in this technology era, kids are getting more & more gaming consoles which is why the Wii & 3DS have done so well. It’s easier to give a kid a Wii than to play actual sports games with them, but IMO, if you have the free time you’re better off playing in the real world with your kids.

32. OlderGamer

@CJ I would argue that the PC did more to expand the demographics of video gaming then anything ever made by Sony.

I would also point out that you counter your own pov. Saying that the audiance of gaming is wider now and yet saying that more kids play games today.

Its just not true.

Kids that played games when games first came out, and I am talking Atari/Colleco/Intellivision and Arcades, are now adults. Most og them still play games. In getting married they have exposed their wifes to video games. And of course their childern.

Even during the 8 and 16 bit days, it was kids that mostly played those games. I remember standing in line to buy games and the only adults I saw were there being dragged around by their kids.

Today gaming has grown far beyond a traditional 10-20yr old male demographic. Some of us(not you, but some) have a hard time sharing the playground. Todays game stores are filled with people of all ages, and as former kid gamers age into adults, they now know about games then their kids do. But I believe PC has a greater impact then any other system in gaming history on expanding that market. I think the Wii is just proof of that expansion.

The PC is full of easy to digest, easy to pick up and play, fun rewarding little games that cost almost nothing to buy. It has for years, and almost everyone it seems has a PC. I would say more folks own a PC then all of the current consoles combined.

I would agree that the handhelds are overwhelmingly(in NA, anyways), a set up dominated by kids. I bet down the road we continue to see iOS and cell phones/pdas cut into that market. But for now its more about the 12 yr old kid in the backseat of the family van, then it is about a 35 year old man playing on his lunch break.

I won’t argue about spending time with your kids in the real world being better then spending time playing a video game. Other then to say that isn’t always possible for a number of reasons, from divorced parents to working scheduals to kids being ten times busyer today then just 15 years ago. My kids for example often don’t get home from school till 9/10pm, and often are back at it saturday too. But, like you said thats better then them just playing games 24/7.

33. mojo

@ OG/27:
    aright. sounds far better now :D
    and i completely agree with what ure saying.

Gaming ahs or is about to reach the mass market, and if history tells anything about evolution of media the mass wont go away anytime soon.

and yes, its safe to say that the traditional demographic (i like that term) sees their hopes dashed. and in part thats what happens. u see alot of devs going to f2p models, doing alot of social network or smartphone apps.
    but thats not realy the point. if theres fish, someone will fish it. means as long as theres demand for 60dollar full fledged AAA games there will be someone who makes them. but what realy does bug the core is the way “their” games have changed. the “appeal to a broader audience”. in essence the fact most games nowadays, be honest, get made for money and nothing else and not for the sake of makeing exactly this game. most ppl that comment on here surely remember the days where this was different.
    U felt the passion the devs put in the games. i (and surely u also do) know manuals that had more soul in them then some big games nowadays. The passion is what makes or breaks a game for most of the traditional demographic and it appears to me that its lacking more and more. Sure every now and then theres a shining star rising on the horizon and sure there has been alot of crap back in the days, but u cant deny the disdainful mammon hindering most devs from making not only a great but passionated game. and passion is what makes a great game becoming legendary.
    and u cant blame the devs for that, which also is not my intention.
    i dont think that in ten-twenty years we will remember todays games like we are remembering ten-twenty year old games now.
    “war has changed”
    but that doesnt mean it cant change again (and it actualy allready does seeing indie games getting huge atm – but thats not what im aiming at). Theres is a chance of movies and games – at least in parts – merging more and more to a combined experience which i can imagine could be realy realy cool if done right. not that bollocks we see atm. but thats highly speculative but the pssobilities of realy interactive movies are almost infinite (not heavy rain stuff – think You are the protagonist and not only control him).

that all beeing said, i just want to add, that i can also enjoy casual games now and then but they dont last very long (which isnt the point of those). but a lasting experience is what im looking for. in any kind of media. that is exxentialy why i consider myself as “core” (without any kind of judgement to it – i just use the phrase that became common sense)

34. 2plus2equals5

Stay calm america, we are the first!
    I want it in europe ASAP and first of all!