Duke Nukem Forever was “75-80% complete” when 3D Realms closed in 2009

Wednesday, 13th April 2011 15:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Triptych Games’ president David Riegel has revealed in a podcast over on the official Duke Nukem Forever site, that the game was 75-80 percent complete when 3D Realms shut its doors back in 2009.

Riegel, who was at Ion Storm before moving on to 3D Realms, admitted that the percentage of the game finished, was an “uneven” percentage.

“When 3D Realms shut its doors in May, I would say the game was maybe about 75-80 (percent) compared to what it is today,” he said.

“But it was interesting because it was a kind of an uneven 80 (percent). Most of the characters didn’t exist. NPC behavior didn’t really exist, like no head tracking or eye tracking, no lip syncing, none of that. No music, no ending: there was a planned ending but it wasn’t really there.”

Riegel went on to form Triptych Games with other, former 3D Realms members in 2009.

Duke Nukem Forever is due out on June 14 in the US and on June 10 everywhere else in the world.

Thanks, BigDownload.

1. AbracadaverAK

So, 3D Realms would have needed another, what, 5 or 6 years?

2. ssddssdd

yes i know is good

3. DSB

@1 Yeah, I reckon 80% is around the point where you throw everything away and start over, 3D Realms style.

4. rafterman83

Actually played it yesterday, and to be honest it looks and plays like 6 or 7 out of ten max. Nothing to write home about, it looks 5 years old. Just a chance to recoup some of the money I suppose, doesn’t break any new ground what so ever.

5. Phoenixblight

Well Gearbox is going to take a loss with this game one way or another but further franchises will be done by them which will give the franchise much more potential than 3d Realms could ever dream about.

6. YoungZer0

@4: How did you manage that?

7. DSB

Duke Nukem taking a loss in a world where jokes like Homefront turns a profit?

I don’t see it. It’s got tits and big guns.

8. Phoenixblight

I am talking about paying for the 12 years of development and making up for it. I am not talking about Duke Nukem failing as far as the actual game goes.

9. DSB

@8 Oh okay. I enterpreted loss in the financial sense.

Yeah, it would be stupid to expect something great, but I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one buying it just out of reverence.

10. Phoenixblight

I am in a program that is at the local college here managed by Bioware, NCsoft, Cryptic, and used to be Midway(until the bankruptcy)to get people into the industry by taking classes related to the Game industry and I can fully say the majority of people I have gone to class with are all buying DUke Nukem because its motherf**kin Duke. :)