Cage: Developers must try harder “to help the industry to move on”

Monday, 11th April 2011 08:17 GMT By Stace Harman

Quantic Dream head David Cage believes that developers should be pushing more boundaries when it comes to making games.

Speaking with CVG, he claimed that in order to get more non-gamers in on the action, the industry needs to be more ambitious.

“I approach videogames the same way I approach theatre, filmmaking, poetry or painting. I wish more people would take that point of view. It would help the industry to move on,” said the forthright developer, before adding that he says these things because he cares.

“I don’t just say these things to annoy, or to try and sound cleverer than anyone else.”

Never one to hold his tongue, Cage also gave his thoughts on Sony’s DualShock controller, calling the peripheral an imminent dinosaur.

“Maybe there will be more devices in the near future in the same direction [as the PlayStation Move] but which work slightly differently that will open new ground. I can clearly see how DualShock is the end of an era and we need to move to something else as an industry,” said Cage. “I don’t know if Kinect or Move are the ultimate answer. It’s up to console manufacturers to bring [a new device]. But something will happen, hopefully soon.”

Quantic Dream’s Heavy Rain recently won three BAFTAs for its murder mystery tale about the Origami Killer, including the gong for best story.

Cage has previously confirmed that Quantic Dream’s next project will not be connected to Heavy Rain.

Thanks, GamerCrave.

1. itsucks

only thing this pretentions hack of shitty games makers could be on to something is the outdated dual piece of shit 3 shock crap.

2. Christopher Jack

@1, Your ignorant loyalty to a corporation like Microsoft has deluded you, I seriously advise you to rethink your life. The one & only reason to be loyal to any company is assuming you have invested of stocks lot into it.

3. StolenGlory

@2 Agreed and this is pretty much wraps up my whole train of thought on fanboyism in general.

+(Insert amount here).

4. aprotosis

@2 Speaking of being a fanboy, how has anything #1 said at all make him into a Microsoft fanboy? If you hate David Cage (and let’s be fair, he is a hack) that suddenly makes you a Microsoft fanboy? Why can’t he be a Nintendo fanboy? Or maybe he is a PS2-diehard who refuses to upgrade? I think your own prejudices came out wonderfully.

5. YoungZer0

@4: You must be new. Everyone and their mom knows that itsucks is a 360 Fanboy.

6. TD_Monstrous69

Say what you will about David Cage (personally, I think he’s brilliant), but he’s spot on in this article. Though I’m not so sure about the dualshock becoming an “imminent dinosaur”.

7. viralshag

“I can clearly see how DualShock is the end of an era and we need to move to something else as an industry.”

I don’t believe this is the case unless he means the DualShock design. If he means controllers as a whole, including the 360 pad, I think that’s rubbish. I think the controller will stay an important input device for a long time coming, it does everything you need it to. A bit like a keyboard staying important as an input device for a PC.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with advances such as the Kinect and the Move. I personally don’t like them and would take a pad over both any day but maybe I’m just a gaming dinosaur…

8. Kuwabara

I love my jungle green dual shock 3, it’s one hell of a T-rex :)

9. DaMan

I couldn’t care less about David Cage making his pretentious Simon says as long as there’re sensible devs aproaching videogames the same way one would approach gambling or NBA.

there’s absolutely zero possibility Kinect or Move would ever work for most of the games.

10. Lounds

@8 Same, KZ3 pack

11. Christopher Jack

@9, He seems like Sony’s version of Peter Molyneux.

12. KrazyKraut

how they can help? when the big publisher treat you like a dog

13. osric90

I don’t know David, I really see LONG, LONG life (even eternal) to the new Sixaxis Dualshock 3 thay even a Dualshock 4 for, I don’t know, 2020 would be very welcome, maybe with a little more features like a mic included for voice commands. Some of us want to enjoy the narrative sitting down and relaxing, getting the points and being part of the game without being the game itself. For instance, I enjoyed Heavy Rain a few times more when I played it with my Dualshock 3 than with the move… it was kind of more fun with the move control but… I don’t know, it’s not the same, it’s not the guy sitting and paying attention to a magnificent game but laughing his ass out because he screws up sometimes and looks funny to the other persons walking by.
    Anyway, I know Cage’s new projects will blow us away and I hope he stays with Sony as every other gamer woudln’t buy his games in that other console because of an unjustified and ridiculous hate.

14. Night Hunter

Ah come on, would you please just STFU Cage? It’s not that he doesn’t have a point once in a while, but the guy is starting to get really annoying really fast. Kinda like Pete Molyneux.

15. DaMan

Christopher Jack – true dat ;)