CD Projekt: The Witcher 2 takes inspiration from Demon’s Souls

Monday, 4th April 2011 02:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

CD Projekt’s Tomasz Gop has compared upcoming RPG The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings to From Software’s notoriously difficult and dark Demon’s Souls.

“I can’t say specifically whether it’s Heavy Rain, Demon’s Souls or Arkham Asylum that has inspired us most over the past few years – it’s probably a mix of all of them,” Gop told Edge.

“I think everyone will find elements of Demon’s Souls, though, definitely.

“We don’t auto-scale opponents, for example. If you want to compare it to anything, Demon’s Souls is definitely good. I’d like that, for sure.”

The senior producer for the game also said the development team’s refusal to back down from inaccessible combat and a mature storyline to gain sales was similar to From Software’s approach.

“Not everybody feels comfortable with playing games that do not always tell you what to do. But on the other hand, we always tell people that this is an adult game, it’s a mature game.

“… So I could say that young people won’t be that keen on The Witcher 2 – but then, on the other hand, that’s not such a bad thing.

“We probably are one of the few developers that do not give up too much in terms of accessibility. In that respect I think we maybe are a bit like From Software. That would be a good comparison.”

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Mace

The most interesting mentioned influence is certainly Heavy Rain, although the other ones could certainly ensure to make the game world and gameplay more playable and satisfying. In any case, I find the influences and statements far more convincing than Bioware’s simple fast-food/pop approach.

2. UuBuU

I’m sure The Witcher 2 will be a reasonably decent game, but they seem a bit optimistic drawing comparisons with Demon’s Souls.

Dark Souls will easily surpass The Witcher 2 also.

3. Erthazus

“Demon’s Souls is so much better though, in pretty much every single way. It looks a hell of a lot cooler, the combat is better, gameplay overall is better. ”

Can you give me your copy of Witcher 2? I see, you already play it.

Warrior, please shut up your mouth with this trolling. Witcher 2 and Eastern RPGs are not about the combat. End of story. Your trolling and lack of knowledge for each witcher 2 thread disturbs. If you don’t like this type of game, ignore the thread.

Everyone know who like RPG’s that this game is going to be one of the best RPG’s this year. End of story.

4. Soong

Holy crap UuBuU has already played The Witcher 2! And he confirms it’s not as good as Demon’s Souls! And not only that, he can also 100% confirm that Dark Souls is also better! UuBuU is just full of exclusives today.

Seriously though, The Witcher doesn’t have the combat as its main focus and all we have on The Witcher 2 are the screenshots which prove that The Witcher 2 looks about a million times better than Demon’s Souls graphically.
    Other than that they will have little in common except for the hardcore lack of hand-holding and uncompromising difficulty – WHICH WAS THE ONLY THING BEING COMPARED, LEARN TO READ YOU TROLL.

5. Ireland Michael

Also, Demons Souls actually succeeded quite aptly at presenting itself in a mature way.

The Witcher, on the other hand, is the kind of mature that a 15 year old usually thinks is the definition of the word. When in reality it just tries too hard and ends up with egg on its face.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, I don’t expect that to be any different for the sequel.

6. Soong

What is it with all these mentally challenged gamers this morning trying to compare Demon’s Souls and The Witcher? They have practically nothing in common, they couldn’t be further apart from each other within the rpg genre.

Like I said, the only thing they have in common is that they’re both pretty hardcore.

7. Christopher Jack

I have the original Witcher & I hate it, the combat ruins it.

8. Blerk

So basically all his biggest influences were console games? Where’s my console version of The Witcher 2, then? :-)

9. UuBuU

@Erth – “If you don’t like this type of game, ignore the thread.”

Oh how ironic, coming from Mr Troll every Skyrim article posted. In fact i’m pretty sure 90% of your comments on this site are troll attempts / complaints about games you dislike.

Obviously I haven’t played the Witcher 2, but i’ve seen and heard enough of it via screenshots, gameplay videos, and dev interviews to know that Demon’s Souls is vastly superior. Dark Souls will also be vastly superior in my opinion.

@Soong – Witcher 2 may have slightly better graphics, but that means very little to me. Artwork, world design and character design are far more important; and Demon’s Souls completely shits on Witcher 2 in those catagories.

“What is it with all these mentally challenged gamers this morning trying to compare Demon’s Souls and The Witcher?”

Really? You’re actually asking that? … Look at the article title, then read the article, and you’ll understand why it’s perfectly valid for us to be comparing the two games.

10. Christopher Jack

@9, He’s admitted that he’s a troll, I can’t even count how many times he’s jumped onto an article to complain about the game. I read this one because I found it a little ironic that a PC exclusive developer’s biggest influence is coming from a console game.

11. CDP_RED

Ha, so cool to actually see that you care for comparing TW2 to DS. Let me stress this guys – we (CDP RED) never thought that we’re better than Demon’s Souls. We got inspired and look up to the title – please don’t turn it around. Worse or better? That ain’t crucial for me personally (really – I’m finishing my 3rd playthrough with DS and I never compared these two games).
    Oh and console version – damn, I’d love to see that one too. Really. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks for reading! :)
    TomGop.

12. Blerk

/tips hat

:-D

13. dragonsight

hay TomGop,
    i was wondering if you can shed some light on some things. why does cdp only have xbox360 programmers and no ps3 programmers? we all know you are doing a console version right after the computer release. why no plans for a ps3 version????

14. CDP_RED

We do have desire to release for PC, X360 and PS3. It’s gonna be all about time and resources available. After we finish the PC version we’re sitting down to planning. I promise we’ll let the world know what comes out of those plans. :)

15. freedoms_stain

I love it when people who’ve never played a game go for the jugular with the criticism and comparisons. Reet gid laff :D

16. The_Red

Music to my ears. Demon’s Souls is a great RPG and no auto-scaling opponents is one of its best features. In your face stupid Bethesda.

17. Mace

@ #8
    Console games doesn’t need to mean dumb action games. Demon’s Souls is an intensely difficult game, and I would assume with a dynamic and essentially fair fighting system. Also, it would be meaningless to implement some abstract tactical system in a game like The Witcher. Also, Heavy Rain is a game that simulates a realistic and mature narrative like no other, and which even shows the way for future PC games. And while I’m not at all a fan of the Arkham Asylum game (or Batman comics, or brawl games), it seems to handle the open world and different approaches to a single problem very well.
    All in all, I’m very pleased that they take care to make a fully rounded game, but something purely formulaic.

@
    #15
    I think it’s not absolutely necessary to have played a game to form an opinion about it, but it should be regarded with an open mind, and not on a purely subjective basis.

18. Blerk

That wasn’t meant to be a dig at either consoles or the game, Mace. I really want a console port of The Witcher 2, because my PC’s got bugger all chance of running it. And the game looks awesome.

19. Mace

Ok, cool.

@
    #5

While it’s true that The Witcher is not completely realistic and serious in all aspects, it’s certainly very honest about its moral content, which makes it pretty mature.

20. OlderGamer

Maybe I shouldn’t but I just gotta say, I love RPGs. And DS looked very good to me when it came out. I was going to get and play it. But every freaken time I hear someone post how hard and challanging it is, it stops me from getting the game.

A game should have different levels of difficulty. And maybe DS does, but if the game makes a point to go out of its way to be hard, i am not in any way shape or form interested in playing it. I want to enjoy a game, not become frustrated over and over again. If I like a game, i want to be able to beat the game and get to the end.

I know some people feel all fuzzy and warm when they beat a super hard game, and having played on each and every generation of console I have seen my fair share. But in my mind those days are gone and for good reason. The real reason games used to be so damn hard was to take quaters/coins from your pocket. Alos game length was an issue, if the player didn’t die often(and have to restart each stage) the game would have lasted an hour or two, prolly less.

I just don’t want that experience anymore.

To bad too, because DS still looks great to me. Except for all the people boasting about how hard it is.

21. UuBuU

@20 – I wouldn’t say it’s THAT hard – it’s difficulty has definately been overstated quite a bit.

Compared to very casual action-RPG games where you can hack and slash your way through the game mindlessly without dying once, it’s a challenge, but it doesn’t go out of it’s way to be unbeatable or anything.

22. YoungZer0

20: Don’t play it. Really, honestly, don’t play it. The gameplay is okay at best, story, music, everything pretty much mediocre. The only redeeming thing about DS is the hard difficulty.

Since that doesn’t seem to appeal to you: Don’t play it.

I understand where you’re coming from. I’m actually past all this “I want to be challenged” games. I just want to enjoy a game, for it’s gameplay, or story. It’s not that hard. But you won’t succeed in this game until you failed a lot.

@5: I really fail to see how DS presented itself as a mature game. I really fail to see how this game presents itself as anything at all. It has one of the most awful art-directions in videogame history.

23. OlderGamer

Thnx for the advice YoungZ, good call.

24. ManuOtaku

#22 i agree with your comment 100%, i did failed a lot, i like the game but is not for me i have to invest too much time in it, to see a reward, too bad because i like the settings.

25. AHA-Lambda

@22 – ouch

*looks at demon’s souls sitting on the backlog* ;_;

26. AHA-Lambda

off topic but to bring it back to demon’s souls i just gave it a try (after it sat in my backlog for so long)

yeah its way too hard. I can’t say i have much inclination to persevere when i’m getting thrashed so early in the first level by basic enemies ;__;