Cage: New Quantic Dream tech ahead of LA Noire’s

Friday, 1st April 2011 01:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Heavy Rain creator David Cage has said Team Bondi’s specially-developed Motion Scan technology is a “dead end”, and that Quantic Dream’s new technology is already more advanced.

“I think [Motion Scan is] an interesting solution to a problem for now. But it’s also an interesting dead end,” the studio head told CVG.

“That’s exactly what I feel. Their technique is incredibly expensive and they will never be able to shoot body and face at the same time.”

Cage said Quantic Dream, which provides motion capture services to cinema alongside games development, is already able to do just that.

“We see a huge difference between shooting the face and body separately and shooting everything at the same time. Suddenly you’ve got a real sense of acting that is consistent. You can’t imagine how related what you say with your face is to what your body does,” he said.

“[MotionScan] will never be able to do that.”

The director added that Motion Scan doesn’t allow for real time lighting, limits shader use, and can’t reposition eyes to ensure characters are looking in the right direction – and that Motion Scan does not have the potential to overcome these issues.

“I think L.A Noire looks good – honestly, it does – but I don’t think they’ll go much further than where they are.

“With the technology we use, we can improve; there is a lot of room for improvement and we hope to show very soon where we are now.”

Cage said his team had made “significant progress” since Heavy Rain, and expects to equal Avatar over the next few years.

[image]

1. Phoenixblight

Man this guy, not sure who is worse Cage, Bleszinski,Yerli, Molyneux. We need a death match for all these guys to be in one space but they won’t be fighting just see who can oversell their game the most.

2. DeathJynx

Seriously… who is the asshole who keeps interviewing this guy?

3. neon6

I would love to see something to support his claims. Like a tech demo.

4. Hunam

Cage was alright right up until Heavy Rain came out, now he’s had his big success game he’s got kind of arrogant. He used to be cool and full of enthusiasm now he just seems to talk down to everyone.

5. YoungZer0

He’s actually right. If you watch the trailers of LA Noire, it really shows. It just looks awkward. I think the guys already know that this is a dead end.

Can’t wait to see something that shows his claims are true.

6. dark_prince123

just because he made a game that sold couple million copies doesn’t mean he is the greatest, i played HR and it was an okay game with a B movie story.
    and MGS 4 facial details >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HR

7. daytripper

david cage, fuck off.

8. HauntaVirus

I agree with him but when the hell is his next game coming??? 2013??? LA NOIRE comes out soon.

9. Yoshi

Speak with your tech, not with your mouth.

10. Aimless

Maybe if people dismounted their high horses they’d be able to read the quotations in the article, not just the headline, and realise he’s not being arrogant at all.

MotionScan seems to work great in LA Noire and will be suitable for certain other types of games, but it’s pretty much a bust when applied to anything not aiming for straight realism with its characters. The majority of games fall into the latter category.

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Thank you for that post. Spared me the need to insult people for being utterly ignorant cunts.

12. Phoenixblight

I read it and he is needlessly comparing the Quantum’s tech does versus LA Noire where it is pretty obvious.

Its like Square Enix comparing the Crystal engine versus CD Projekt RED engine.

If wanted the most up to date tech I would play HR but I like my games to be interactive and thats where HR falls waaaay short compared to Rockstar’s games.

13. Aimless

@12 So when asked a question about motion capture he shouldn’t draw on his own extensive experience?

This is not David Cage sending out a press release, he was answering an interview question with an honest opinion. If you’re going to punish him for that… well, what the hell do you want from an interview?

14. Phoenixblight

Then maybe its the interviews but it always seems to be David Cage versus the industry.

15. mathare92

@10 +10

16. TD_Monstrous69

You know what, I like devlopers like this. He and David Jaffe, I think are developers that are the most honest, and tell it like it is. Now whether or not motion scan truly turns out to be a dead end in game development, I think might be a little too early to judge wth only one game. Though as I was typing this, I was kind of thinking though, where exactly could Rockstar/Team Bondi go with this kind of technology as far implementation into future IP’s? Another thing I was thinking, would really like to see the advanced tech that David Cage claims that Quantic Dream has as of this moment. Guess that’s what E3′s for (or GamesCom).

17. onlineatron

Used to respect David Cage, but with every interview he leans more towards the ‘John Cage’ end of the douche-o-meter.

Fuck that portentous 4’33 bullshit.

18. Gadzooks!

Cage can fuck right off. Seriously, the arrogant, ignorant asswipe doesnt even belong in the games business.

He has no right to criticise ANY developer after releasing the piss-poor excuse for a game called Heavy Rain. Sure it looked pretty when it wasnt tearing like a bastard, but remaking Dragons Lair with a terrible plot and such ‘mature’ content as a shower scene gains him absolutely no respect from anyone.

Bondi not only have a game that looks a million times better than Heavy Rain and has far more convincing acting, but it’s actually a GAME not a stupid pointless set of fucking QTE’s.

19. Blerk

Peter’s going to have to do some serious work, he’s losing a hell of a lot of internet-hate ground to David of late!

20. itsucks

Pretentions piece of shit so butthurt that he didn’t even got invited to the Tribeca Film Festival like L.A. Noire did, for is crap game, he needs to do control damage? Jesus, get a life if you can’t bald fatass.

21. AHA-Lambda

fucking hell i cant believe i used to kinda like this guy, he’s been slipping in my estimations ever since heavy rain was released.

Fair enough with whatever does happen with LA noire’s tech but i bet you it’ll be a damned better game than HR

22. Rain

Cage has turned 180 degrees since the day Heavy Rain launched(IMO it was a 7.5 game with poor walking controls,weak animations,a story full of holes and uneven visuals and wrong accents)He speaks like HR had outsold Black Ops

23. Erthazus

I don’t get it. Why you are all bat shit insane about his comments?
    He is just saying that he have a better technology, not the better game.

MotionScan is not perfect. It’s not only expensive, but it’s super heavy on the current generation of hardware. While faces are really good, everything else looks bad because Motionscan requires additional resource for face recognition that prevent from using additional shaders.

24. typeface

I’ve got to agree with those who don’t what the rage is about. I mean really, he’s just comparing tech which is nothing to do with the game’s story, or the game experience but just the tech that goes behind the game. In that aspect he is quite correct and he’s speaking about actual limitations.

Instead of being annoyed at his comments wouldn’t it be better if someone bought or licensed some of the solutions they’re working on to a wider audience? I really see no problem here. I remember when imagemetrics were saying they were miles better than QD’s tech when Alan Wake was close to release but honestly imagemetrics needs still quite a ways to go. This is all about tech, not someone’s game is better than another and better tech and implementation can only lead to better solutions for the future. Developers need to be saying these sort of things these just so we get better solutions or do we just want to sit pretty with what we have and think one thing solves it all.

25. M. K.

Oh man I hate this guy. Okay there’s heavy rain and there’s some reason why critics like his game. Is there something more that makes him telling some bullshit every week?

26. Rosseu

“I don’t get it. Why you are all bat shit insane about his comments?
    He is just saying that he have a better technology, not the better game.” +1

IMO GTA4 looks better than L.A. Noire, but since L.A. needs great facial animation I don’t mind much but I agree with Erth, top notch face animation, graphics not so good – but still ok.

27. Craymen Edge

He could be right that capturing facial and body performace separately could be a dead end, but I think we need to see how LA Noir turns out first.

Equally, Quantic Dream’s tech doesn’t seem all that to me when the only time characters in Heavy Rain look at all natural is during the non-interactive loading screens.

28. viralshag

What he has said just strikes me as bit of a sales pitch to say his tech is better than theirs and you should use Quantic Dream.

I do have to say though, I don’t like the fact that he is pretty much predicting the potential and future of Motion Scan. What’s wrong with competition and someone doing something differently, that’s how things progress.

29. M. K.

It’s not about this statement, for me it’s just that he’s a nobody who talks trash all time about other projects without making his own stuff better ;)

30. Rosseu

Yes but improvements to their tech might actually prove his statements right, I’ve seen the behind the scenes of HR and my mind was blown as I’ve seen how they do facial animations.

31. ManuOtaku

#31 like a very good christian, i need proffs, show the tech and i will believe you..otherwise….is hard for me to believe it
    P.D and people though that dice was a punk..****rolls eyes****

32. Dr.Ghettoblaster

His point about having to act twice and losing consisetncy IS true though with motion scan.

Lessens your chance of capturing that best one time live performance with all talent present and interacting together.

33. nikk900

Wow, a lot of you guys are really missing his point and just saying “his game sucks” Just because he is talking about some tech, it makes you hate him? Okay?

34. Ireland Michael

Captain, I am picking up large amounts of butthurt in this sector.

Man, you people crack me up sometimes.

35. YoungZer0

@23: Well i be damned, Erth has wrote something that doesn’t have any insults but is also smart.

36. No_PUDding

What I don’t get is how people like Blerk and Erthazus can still read these comment sections. You sirs, are the Knights of this community.

The rest of you? Why th reaction? We’re ultimately referring to a Frenchman running his mouth. Age old scenario.

….

I kid you beautiful Franks!

37. chronoss2

i agree with Cage 10000 % .. the face capture is good in LA Noire, but it contrasts with the rest of the animations.

Bring it on QD !!

38. bluffbluff03

@ 16 David Cage ist NO developer. he calls him self a writer and a director. He would never be able to make a GAME like LA Noire or GTA…because he is not good in integrating the gamer in the game. When you play a game directed by Cage you will always be passive, ans the Name of Divid cage will apear all over the screen when you finished it ;) . He might be able to make better animations in 2013 or so…but thats not everything what i want. he should more concentrate on a certain “gaming-experience”, so that we will not play a secound game full of qiucktimes – and please, go away from Sony. On the one hand they earn more money by working as an independent studio and on the other the, like he says, “great” tech would be able to show what it is really able to do, namely on the PC.