The Third Place: PS3′s “AIB” passes Xbox 360 worldwide

Thursday, 31st March 2011 21:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A new report from data firm Strategy Analytics has PS3′s install base exceeding Xbox 360′s on a global basis by 500,000, pushing the Microsoft console down into third place behind PS3 and Wii.

While Wii still maintains the largest under-the-TV seller this generation with an “active install base” of 75.5 million units worldwide, by the end of 2010, PS3 reached an install base of 43.4 million compared to Xbox 360′s 42.9 million.

The last confirmed sales for the three consoles, as released by their respective manufacturers, have 360 slightly ahead of PS3, with 50.8 million units moved compared to Sony’s 47.9 million.

Wii has lifetime sales of 84.6 million.

Strategy Analytics claims that Xbox 360′s lack of support in Europe and Asia “acts as a drag on its global performance,” despite the sales boost gained from the release of Kinect late last year.

“While the Kinect peripheral has given a boost to Microsoft’s Xbox 360 strategy, the console’s performance outside of the US continues to disappoint,” said the report’s author, analyst Jia Wu.

“Global demand for Sony’s PS3 has exceeded that of the Xbox 360 in each of the past two years, and we expect that to continue over the coming years.”

The analyst believes that should Microsoft focus more on Kinect and “continue to innovate around its motion sensor technology,” as it will become “increasingly relevant in the smart home era.”

It was also predicted in the report that global sales of Xbox 360 will grow 13.7 million by the end of 2011, while PS3 will expand by 15.7 million units. Wii is expected to continue to decline.

Wu said Nintendo could counter shrinkage by launching “a Wii successor within the next 12 months.”

Earlier today, GameStop issued a report stating that PS3 had a 1 million-strong lead over Xbox 360 in Europe, with PS3′s 14.7 million units ahead of 360′s 13.7 million.

Thanks, Gamasutra, and thanks to Gama_888 for the headline.

1. Gama_888

Boom, And Its Done.
    Xbox 360 takes 3rd

2. Yoshi

43.4 million PS3 users only bought the PS3 once or twice.
    42.9 million Xbox 360 users only bought the Xbox 360 three plus times XD

3. Dralen

Incoming!

4. Yoshi

@3 Amen to that hahaha :P I wish everyone god speed! XD

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Reads headline……oh shit…..TAKE COVER!!

6. Yoshi

I think we should all makes bets on how many comments this’ll get :P I’m gunna say 70ish?

7. Gama_888

HAYYY, u just totally ripped me off with the headline name.
    i want credit for that quote

@6 i think this could be hundreds, iv allready done 2 xD

8. mathare92

*Runs to bomb shelter*

Edit: The comments sections on sites like GS and IGN should be a right laugh. :P

9. Patrick Garratt

@7 – I really did get that from you. The credit is yours.

10. loki

Well done. MS make more PC port and fail more

11. The1stMJC

*Looks around* ohhh shiiiiiit! *runs*

12. Gama_888

@9 Wahayyy :D
    i want my name in the title else i will sue you for copyright :)

13. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added it :D

This thread is going to be an absolute car crash. I’m going to eat an apple.

14. Yoshi

@13 Good on you Pat. Even in these hard times of gaming wars you still manage to have your five a day ;)

15. Dralen

@13 Haha! Pat = Legend

16. Elite_1989

Impressive considering the 12+ month head start the Xbox had.

Why do vgchartz though have the xbox 360 at 52.7 million and PS3 at 49 million?? I know vgchartz isn’t the most reliable of places but to be that far off?? Especially the Xbox 360 or am I reading it wrong

17. Gekidami

Deserved. Sony have done nothing but push the best software for the past 3 years. MS on the other hand has done nothing but the strick minimum in terms of software.

Its especially impressive considering the fact that the 360 had a full year head start. Otherwise we’d be reading this 2 years ago.

18. Gama_888

@13, i actually meant, right there in the title of it for everyone to see.
    but i guess that’ll do

19. NeoSquall

yay, I’m the 19!

20. railbird13

Congrats, Sony. Glad to see they overcame the relatively slow start they had with the high prices (my $500 phat still lives though!) and developers getting used to the system architecture.

21. LRB1983

Bad time to start rumours about PS4 launch by the end of 2012, then.

Congrats!!!.

22. KBST

Congrats, Sony. It only took you 4 years, but I guess, now that the PS3 has “won”, we all can look forward to a new console generation eh?

23. N2O1990

43.4?42.9?way off last shipment that much(47.9,50.8)?something not right there…
    and Wii too,Nintendo shipped 84.6m

24. Kerplunk

Dont start without me! I’m just microwaving some popcorn before the show starts.

25. M. K.

Pretty surprising, but well I’m not going to sell my 360 although it’s the worst console :’(

26. Bluscope

And Microsoft are finally where they deserve to be, in hardware reliability and quality at least, I’ve gone through 3 Xbox 360′s but my Launch model PS3 is showing no signs of ever breaking down :).

I’ve hated my Xbox with a passion ever since it destroyed my copy of Red Dead Redemption and Gears 2 xD.

27. Ireland Michael

Quick question: When was the last time we had an update on 360 hardware figures? Just curious.

Not that it matters anyway. Games are games. Doesn’t matter if its the PS3 in last, the Wii, or whatever. It’s only a piece of circuitry. As long as *you* enjoy your games experience, that’s all that really matters.

28. KBST

btw: The article doesn’t say “install base”. It says “active install base”. Whatever that’s supposed to mean. Check the neogaf thread.

29. Impossibility91

These numbers smell kinda fishy. Somethings not right or have i lived in the future or something? Thought 360 passed the 50M a while ago..

Looking forward at all the other 200 posts and stacking up some food & drinks to enjoy the show ;D

30. 2plus2equals5

Ps3 surpassed 360 and psp surpassed 3ds… I didn’t see them coming! 8O

31. TD_Monstrous69

A true testament to Sony’s sales strategy for the PS3, and happily wish em congrats. Great way to recover from the sluggish launch. This could also explain on why it is I keep seeing what seem like commercials that should’ve aired during the holiday season for Kinect Sports and Dance Central (don’t know if this is the case for the rest of the world, just speaking as someone living in the states and what I see on TV).

32. theevilaires

I want an official story after April 1st until then its a fool’s joke!

33. Erthazus

You got to be kidding me. Really? :D

When this will be reported. Sony fanboys will jerk off to death

34. M. K.

@32: Kinda early for stuff like that right? But also as #29 mentioned, it seems kinda wrong :D

35. daytripper

people coming out of the woodwork now, knew it all along with some people.

congrats sony well done :D

36. N2O1990

“active install base”…lolwat

37. pukem0n

this surely WONT turn in a noob fest of fanboys.

oh wait, it did already? well…

who fucking cares which console sold the most? ^^

38. lexph3re

Damnit tea! You have a point.lol but I don’t think its a joke its only a 500k difference not like its a mil or 2. Also, it was 53mil shipped on 360. I think this is definetly more accurate numbers on the consoles. But we shall see

39. theevilaires

@34 in some parts of the world its already April 1st like in Australia and Japan. People are waking up to this story on April 1st so it is officially April’s fool day on Earth.

If this “IS” true then….

40. lexph3re

Also, I’m going to love reading the known ps3 haters start saying “its not the system its the games” wait…^ lol

41. M. K.

500k is enough to start a hell of a flame war ;D

42. Ireland Michael

@40 Are you saying I’m a PS3 hater?

43. 2plus2equals5

Hei you don’t make jokes! Isn’t april first yet!

44. Erthazus

I don’t get one thing. Whats with the 50 million that was reported by MS earlier this year at the electronics show?

45. Bluscope

I think these numbers are for connected consoles, The VG chartz numbers most likely include people who have purchased several consoles after their old ones have broken down, that would explain the “active installed base” bit. But this is just a theory :).

46. M. K.

@42: One of the worst!!!!111 :D How could you even imagine post something like this! :mad:

47. railbird13

april fools only starts when blizzard says it starts

also, until Sony or MS come out with official figures (if they ever do), it’s all bullocks anyway

48. Erthazus

@45m never trust shitty site like vgchartz. their numbers are circumstantial.

49. lexph3re

Are you a known hater micheal?lol

50. Bluscope

@48 I wouldn’t trust VGchartz with my life but I was just generalizing :)

51. Ireland Michael

@45, In that case, these figures are a bunch of bogus numbers that an analyst pulled put of their ass.

I call foul on this. I couldn’t care less whose “winning” personally, but yeah, there’s no possible way to assertain those figures.

@49 You tell me. Am I?

52. Gama_888

April fools joke then, pat when the real article is done are u going to use my title again? :P

53. LOLshock94

kudos to sony. dont use my ps3 that much but the stuff ive heard about what sony is doing sounds awesome XD

54. Bluscope

@51 Really, but… why would an analyst lie???? :-7

I feel betrayed XD.

55. lexph3re

I don’t know michael it kinda makes since. If at tokyo game show sony announced 49mil shipped but then at that last expo they announced 43 actually sold it would entail around 6 mil on store shelves world wide. What do you think?

56. Bluscope

#55 that actually makes sense to me, Sony do have the awful habit of confusing sold/shipped numbers xD

57. N2O1990

shipment(~2010 Dec)
    PS3:47.9m
    360:50.8m
    Wii:84.6m

58. lexph3re

If we go by this^ then that would roughly put 4mil ps3s on. Shelves. Roughly 7mil 360s on store shelves and 10mil wiis on store shelves world wide. With the rest actually being bought and owned

59. Bluscope

This is indeed “active install base” (what a stupid term) and not worldwide sales.

60. daytripper

i highly doubt there are 75m active wii users, i smell a bit of bullshit here, although i do think playstation 3 will surpass 360 in sales eventually

61. Bluscope

Finally a link that makes some damn sense! XD

Apart from the Pachter quote at least, Even I could probably do a better job than that tool…

62. Galactic_Barret

Lets be real, how many pre-slim 360s are out there, especially in relation to pre-slim PS3? Based solely off perceptions, it makes sense.

63. onlineatron

Yeah…

Shame it has no games.

64. Lounds

I love my FAT 60gb PS3, I bought it in a shop window in CEX booyah, best xmas present to myself ever, well my ipod touch 2nd gen was a good present once a pon a time

65. Blerk

How on Earth do you measure ‘active user base’? Especially considering that at least half the machines sold aren’t even connected to the internet?

66. lexph3re

God I love how people. Are trying to play dumb. Active would. Signify moved products. Shipped would be move from sony/ms to merchants. In active would mean systems not sold to people. Atleast this is pretty much what this article and the other 3 I just read are all saying.

Let’s not act like the word Active has this deep philosophical meaning to it that must be translated.

67. lexph3re

Jeez I have to start looking into writing my post on a actual computed. This phone ish is for the birds

68. M. K.

Let me get this straight, there are more 360s “in the wild” but more ps3 were already sold?

Srsly, this guys have to make it clear :_

69. lexph3re

I can agree that that part confuses me a little as well. But, the 47mil ship was also as of december of 2010. And, restocking could see shipments increasing. I just don’t think its that hard to understand the article. I just think there’s a lot of angry fans/trackers.Anyone care to call for official statements?

70. Naaame

“You want figures? How about 75.5 million for the Wii, 43.4 million for the PS3 and 42.9 million for the Xbox 360. Take those to the yard.”

lool

71. daytripper

@69 i dont see what there is to be angry about, it doesnt affect my gaming experience at all.

72. Christopher Jack

@M.K. Consider the more 360s in the wild, RRoDs that have been replaced.

73. aprotosis

A global count at this stage in the game is a misleading number just by definition. A console sold in different regions will mean entirely different things to their bottom line depending on the region.

For example, Japan is pretty much the whole reason that the PS3 global sales are anywhere near the X360′s. And yet, if you combined every sold game in Japan’s top 10, that would only rank at #3 in the American sales charts. (looked at the recent March 20th sales as guessed by vgchartz). It you discount handheld games, it is even more stark. EMEAA is a bit more healthy but in a similar situation.

74. Christopher Jack

Japan accounts for less than 10% of PS3 sales.

75. IL DUCE

If you compare US and Europe alone, 360 probably beats out PS3, especially in the US alone without a doubt…obviously in Japan all those people are going to buy PS3s because it is a local product, and much more popular over there, while the US based console will obviously be much more popular in the US…

76. Patrick Garratt

I’ve edited it slightly to reflect the fact it’s “active install base” as opposed to official sales. I’ve added in the manufacturer figures as well.

77. DeathJynx

Thank you patrick. I don’t mind when you change things and explain why. Unlike steph…

78. KAP

All the butt-hurt xbots come out to play!

Its even got so bad patrick had to come and edit the post slightly. Damn.

79. Lounds

This is what I think to 360

80. Rain

It is Great!!!!Finally we are seeing results of Sony’s hard work

81. ManuOtaku

i stopped reading at “by the end of 2010″
    And then “have 360 slightly ahead of PS3, with 50.8 million units moved compared to Sony’s 47.9 million”.
    this is misleading big time

82. Henry

Seriously, can someone tell me: how can a 3rd party data firm, or anyone, obtain the number of “Active Install Base” of a product? much less worldwide?

The report is essentially saying “8 million xbox and 4 million ps3 were thrown into the rubbish bin by consumers.” So, they searched the landfill site and counted that?