EA Games boss: We haven’t forgotten old IPs

Friday, 25th March 2011 14:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA Games head Frank Gibeau has said the company hasn’t forgotten about its dorment IPs.

Asked if the publisher was done with its oldest properties, Gibeau replied to CVG: “Absolutely not. I worked on Desert Strike and Road Rash back in the day on Sega Genesis so trust me, I’m familiar with the IP history.”

But what about reboots or remakes of said series? Gibeau said it’s all down to how good it needs to be.

“We constantly look at ways to grow the recent category of titles like Burnout, Need for Speed, Road Rash are constantly things we think about,” he said.

“It’s the same thing with the old Bullfrog IPs like Dungeon Keeper, Populous, Powermonger, Magic Carpet, I can go on. So we do look at that stuff and are very cognisant of our past.”

He continued: “The key thing for us is, if we do bring [any of those] back, the game has got to be good. I don’t know about you but when I look back at GoldenEye, I think of it as this amazing game and the you go and play it and are like, ‘Oh. Really?’.

“From our perspective we have to manage that element which makes things look nicer in the rear view mirror compared to what you have to do now in the modern day.”

Last year, EA rebooted Medal of Honor into modern times after a three year gap, putting focus on the Afghanistan war instead of World War II.

It’s rumoured the publisher is set to reboot the old Bullfrog series Syndicate, with development thought to be handled by Starbreeze Studios in Sweden.

1. StolenGlory

Powermonger please.

2. Blerk

A new Populous for XBLA/PSN would be superb. Ditto Dungeon Keeper.

3. yuyuyuyu

xcfvgbyhj

4. theevilaires

yea you just forgot how to make good games.

5. OlderGamer

^^What Tea said.

6. satsugai

Dungeon Keeper pretty please. :3

7. urbz2011

Make a PSN/XBL Desert Strike Jungle Strike and Urban Strike HD.Nothing beats classic gaming.

8. DSB

@1 Geeze, I thought I was the only one who remembered Powermonger.

There are a few enthusiasts trying to make updated versions, but I don’t think you could actually restart the franchise, and remain true to the old one. It was pretty cumbersome by todays standards, but amazing back then.

I think Populous 3 is on PSN?

9. ManuOtaku

I just hope these rumors regarding syndicate are pretty accurate, otherwise i think i will get my heart a bit sore, as for the other games i did not play them, but if people eagerly anticipate them, well i said bring them in the more the merrier.

10. Old MacDonald

EA: Why haven’t you released your older PC-games on GOG yet? It’s a win-win situation. They will stay alive and unforgotten with a minimum of effort from your side, and you’ll make money to boot.

11. Ireland Michael

This name will probably mean nothing to anyone but a handful of people, but there have been whispers amongst the Ultima Dragons that E.A. may be intending to revive the Ultima franchise…

12. Gekidami

No doubt a new Ultima MMO then, milking people with subs and/or micro transactions is how EA rolls these days.

13. Ireland Michael

@12 Nothing wrong with a MMO if the quality is there.

The way this Ultima Dragon was talking, it made me think they might be working on a full retail RPG. I think a BioWare produced Ultima game could turn out amazing.

Maybe I’m just being overly optimistic though. The Ultima series has always had a special place in my gaming heart.