Rumour – Forza 4 to feature 500 cars, Kinect casual mode

Thursday, 24th March 2011 08:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A Microsoft survey has suggested that Forza Motorsport 4 will feature up to 500 cars from 80 manufacturers. But that’s not all, it seems.

The survey, handed to Kotaku, also mentions a casual mode for those playing the game with Kinect, saying users can play by “holding your hands at 10 and 2.”

A no-assist mode was also mentioned.

Head tracking from Kinect will also enable you to look into the next corner, with voice control also used to control the menus and UI.

Forza 4 will also feature a new graphic fidelity, according to the survey, ten times better than it was with Forza 3, with new lighting and shading models.

A new career mode will also be included that will see you in an “automotive world tour” that promises to “increase the variety of challenges and events you participate in.”

Turn 10 showed off a Kinect-controlled tour around a Ferrari at E3 last year, but the survey mentions there’ll be a virtual showroom, narrated by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear, to learn about the features of cars in detail.

The survey also mentioned if it would like to see an open-world Forza Motorsport instead of the series’s traditional circuit racing.

Microsoft refused to comment, telling VG247 it “does not comment on rumour and speculation.”

Forza 4 is down for a fall release on Xbox 360.

1. Nozz

Yeah but the question is, Do you have to stand up with the kinect?

Imagine the endurance races!!

2. DrDamn

Ten times better graphic fidelity? What does that even mean? Is it visibly more radiant? ;)

No problem with them adding this sort of functionality as long as it doesn’t dilute the main experience. It does seem a strange inclusion though – it is a core type title, I would have thought a more casual virtual steering wheel approach would have suited a spin-off to the series.

Even if you can sit down just try holding your arms out at 10 to 2 for any serious length of time.

Head tracking is much more interesting. The game overall needs a lot more variety in what you can do and how you play compared to Forza 3 though.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Nobody mention the other game!

/leaves.

4. G1GAHURTZ

PS. Audi’s are the best cars.

5. DrDamn

A few years back I did some work in Germany and it was interesting that the local people I was working with said Audi had a different perception of quality there. In the UK I have always regarded Audi as a more premium quality make – ‘Vorsprung durch Technik’ and all that. There they said it didn’t have that great a reputation. I suppose it may be the comparison with the other big German marques (BMW, Mercedes) – or that things have changed since then.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Yesh. I don’t think there’s any doubt that they make premium quality cars. I think even the cheapest, most basic A4 is loaded with standard features that would be expensive extras with other makes.

I suppose it just comes down to reliability and cutomer service to influence popular opinion after that.

The overall high technical standard, luxury feel and build quality of the cars is clear though.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7D6nqPsi2w

7. LOLshock94

i bet those 500 are the cars in forza 3 and the dlc pack but hey this will probely be the best kinect title if they do it right

8. Johnny Cullen

*microsoft commenting in no comment shocker*

Otherwise known as Microsoft has commented on the story.

9. Erthazus

Audi’s are the best cars?

Everything that is subsidiary to Volkswagen group is trash at best and will be like that till the end.
    The last car i remember that was OK is 2010 Audi RS5, after that they have nothing to show.

The best guys in Automotive industry in Germany are still the same as before: Volkswagen (without it’s subsidiaries like Audi or Porshe), BMW, Mercedes-Benz and will always be like that. Premium cars or not, they are getting top notch stuff for it’s price.

10. robmlufc

Open world… you mean like that other racing game mentioned a few months haha.. try to be original a bit forza

11. Lounds

I own a Jetta SE and it kicks ass, comfortable, well built, plus i get about 55mpg

12. perk1n

@9 man, you have no clue. vw and audi share the same tech. audi is the premium part of vw. and calling porsche not one of the best, is just dumb.

13. Psychotext

“and calling porsche not one of the best, is just dumb”

Plus of course… Lamborghini.

14. LOLshock94

@12 LMFAO agreed
    and open car games do not fit at all, theres no point in forza to have open just let it be circuit

15. G1GAHURTZ

Let’s not forget Bugatti.

16. Lounds

VW own Audi, SEAT, Skoda, and a few other company’s, but VW is one of teh first car manufacturing company’s from germany, I think Merc is the first

17. perk1n

@13 well, of course. lamborghini is owned by audi :D

18. Gekidami

Tata Nano!

19. theevilaires

@3 everyone knows NFS Shift 2 will be better :D

20. OrbitMonkey

I wonder if the devs slaving away on Forza, ever look at the rampant success of Mario Kart & think “Fuck it man, let’s just make Halo Racers!”?

21. mortiferus

Looking Forward to Forza 4. 3 was fuckin great!

22. theevilaires

^ wow not great but “fuckin” great huh….okay then

23. Lounds

^pedantic much^

24. xxJPRACERxx

The things I hate the most about Forza 3 gfx are the lighting and car shaders. If they improve that then I’ll be really happy.

25. Gadzooks!

Cant wait! Forza 3 is still head and shoulders above any competition as a sim racer IMO.

As DrDamn says, it would be nice to have a little more variety in the career mode, but its the actual driving that keeps me coming back to Forza time and again. Whether that’s point-to-point, eliminator or straight up circuit racing doesnt really matter to me.

Very much looking forward to headtracking, that will be a great addition. Walking around the car in garage and ’10-and-2′ steering? Not so much.

26. theevilaires

Shame…they have pills for depression but not denial…Can’t blame them for not trying really I guess. Some people like living lies ^

27. lexph3re

Yes because we all know we need are heads tracked while driving a game. Is that suppose to give the ability to look away from the screen next to you or something? Someone help me out because I’m missing the “possibilities” this enables

28. theevilaires

^ I’m in the same boot with you lex. What the hell is this feature and why is it the hot thing in driving games now. Am I suppose to turn my face away from my tv so the in game camera will see whose coming up behind me? HUH!?

People get excited over the dumbest things sometimes.

29. JimFear-666

lol gran turismo copycat

30. Gadzooks!

#27

A small turn of the head, or in this case I think it might be leaning, will shift your viewpoint slightly, allowing you to look into corners.

It’s a great feature which, as well as giving you a better driving view, also adds to immersion.

I believe it’s also implemented in GT5.

31. OwningXylophone

32. theevilaires

Chyea…. I rather use the right analog stick thank you very much. Unless you had a one of those multiple display set ups which I think would be neater. GT5 supports dual screens lets see if Forza 4 will ;)

33. lexph3re

Hmm dual screens huh? I could really see the benefits with that, but I wouldn’t set two-three screens up just for that. I think the head tracking might only benefit for the 10 and 2 placement. After I gave it a little though I realised just capturing extended arms woulnt be helpful for turns left or right. But if you track head and arms. You can be. More. Percise with the turns. And, possibly allow you to be seated while playing. That seems to justify a “casual” mode more then lookin left and right in a cock pit view.

But, I’m the wait and see guy. I wait and see if my predictions come true. And, I think I’m spot on with this one

34. robmlufc

Trackir does it very well on pc, it works really well for racers and flight sims. Its nothing new MS, must try harder.

35. OwningXylophone

@TEA

Sorry to burst your little fanboy bubble, but Forza 2 & 3 both supported multi-screen setups, so yeah I think it’s a given that it will be supported in FM4 too.

36. Gadzooks!

“I think the head tracking might only benefit for the 10 and 2 placement”

It’s already been proven to work very well as the troll at #34 mentioned. It works well with a wheel and with a controller, and on single screen setups as well as multiple screens.

37. jbbarkdull

yea forza is the best racing game ever but i wish they had a free rome of real cities to where u could get out of the car walk around and look at other car that people have made like a hang out spot where u can have car shows and challenge people for races now that would be the best it seems that all the graphics and all the freedom they give us is goin to waist the only way u can see some body elses car is in pics how borning mean its crazy that other cheaply made game have these features but forza wont