Sony: Donate to the Japan tsunami effort with PSN wallet

Friday, 18th March 2011 21:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has posted on both the US and EU PS Blogs that folks can now make donations to the Japanese tsunami effort through their PlayStation wallets.

So far, Sony has contributed batteries, radios, and other equipment to the relief efforts, but wants you to help out as well, if you can.

“You can make donations in the amount of $2, $5, $10, $25 and $50 from your wallet in the PlayStation Store,” wrote SCEA president and CEO Jack Tretton. “With your donation, you’ll get a free theme for your PlayStation 3. In order to make a donation, go to the “Aid Japan” area under the New Releases category on the PlayStation Store.

“It’s important to note that your contributions will go directly to the American Red Cross – Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. Every penny donated will go to the fund, which supports emergency relief and recovery efforts, including deploying personnel, sending relief supplies and providing financial resources.

“Many gamers in particular feel a special bond with Japan, even if they’ve never traveled there personally. Its ingenuity and innovation have shaped our industry, and its culture and style have brought a sense of community across the world.”

You can get more information through the links.

1. Peetry

Donated £20, feeling very self-righteous.

2. NeoSquall

I’m not sure. Wouldn’t it be better to donate directly to Japanese Red Cross, instead of the American one?

3. FrankieDF

I was going to donate, but then I read it went to Red Cross. No thanks, I would rather my money actually went to the people who need it.

4. KAP

like me.

5. NeoSquall

Note that EU gamers’ donations go to British Red Cross.

6. xino

just donate directly to them!
    what the hell do you want to do with a garbage theme for!?

i don’t know why people just constantly waste space and money over junk!
    how many themes do you have? a week later you would change the theme and the sun rise would be there eating electronic dust, you would never use the theme again.

7. Crysis

I don’t understand the criticism for Sony making an easy alternative to donate.

8. DeathJynx

@7 maybe xino just doesn’t understand that maybe someone like me with no money, but has a few funds in his psn wallet, would like to be offered an alternative way for me to share what little I have. Not to mention, it is Sony’s home country, and Sony as a company was not unaffected by the disaster. So when hundreds of people post on the playstation blog, asking for a way to contribute through psn, why should Sony be expected by ANYONE to turn a blind eye to those requests. We all need to stop worrying about how to do things and just be grateful for the options.

9. neon6

What will Microsoft do in regards to the tsunami and earthquake victims?

10. DeathJynx

I don’t think anything through X box. But I am positive microsoft as a corporation will contribute A LOT.

11. xino

Or maybe someone like you should understand that when you help someone, you help out of the goodness of your heart but not to get anything in return!

So if Sony were doing the same idea for New Orleans, Chile, ChristChurch, Sri Lanka etc. I bet you would do the same thing right? but did you even donated to charity when those geography location got wrecked by earth quakes and tsunami without getting anything back?

But because Sony are offering something in return, you think “ok I’ll donate, i’ll be helping people but will get something back in return”.
    Sorry but that is lame and really not helping, it goes back to the theory of ‘exchanging for goods’!

Donating without getting anything in return is the right way and shows the goodness from your heart.
    When you give money to homeless…do you get anything in return?
    but if he offered people for a shine shoe…I’m sure people would happy to pay him.

It’s just like in underground tube stations. Ignorants would happily and confidentially give money to people playing music in underground station with their guitar, piano, flute whatever; but will surely turn a blindeye to an homeless person begging.

So now people think that the only way to help people is to get something back in return? what as this f**ing world come to?

12. Crysis

@9, They’re donating $150’000, they were criticized for this on twitter because they said they’ll donate $1 for every retweet up to $150’000 instead of simply donating the money.

13. DeathJynx

Xino, you have quite the pessimistic view on the world don’t you? I always offer to buy homeless people lunch if find them outside a restaurant, and I promise I didn’t spend $20 inorder to get an extremely girly theme from playstation. I like my current wallpaper thank you. And I have been on the phone with playstation support enough times to make an educated assumption that due to the restrictions of both the psn store structure, and playstations payment system. They cannot accept money without a transaction. So in order to donate through the system they have to give you something in return. The theme uses default icons, so it is pretty much a wallpaper. Wallpapers are normally free. It isn’t like anyone is looking for a great deal out of this ordeal.

And for the record, most good hearted people in a down situation like endin up homeless, do not enjoy hand outs. People are prideful & enjoy feeling like they can still do something of meaning in this world to earn their way. I understand your coming from a good place in your comments, and I think I traditionally agree with you in almost all you posts on here. But try to see the broader spectrum of a situation like this and be more optimistic. The world is so corrupt yet. I think most of the worry some comments come from ignorant, underage trolls and I wouldn’t like them get to you.

If you disagree still, then out of respect for the situation, let’s agree to disagree and drop it.

14. DeathJynx

I mean the donations are between you and who your are donating too anyway, right? Who cares how the money gets to where it is needed as long as it gets there.

15. DrDamn

‘Sorry but that is lame and really not helping’

Except for the full amount of money they donated of course, that helped. The free theme is irrelevant. People are donating because they want to help. Making it easier for people to do this is only a good thing. If some people end up donating just because of the free theme then again, it’s money they wouldn’t have had so again, only a good thing.

16. xino

@deathjinx
    yea…where the money comes from is not important.
    But if people are going to be donating for something in return then we have a problem here! Which means if crisis occurs and charities need people to donate, they would have to offer people something in return. And if they offer something in return…how much are the charity really going to get back in return?

Like that ridiculous Live 8 garbage. That people would go to concert, the money used to get in would be paid to the charity to help people in poverty. Also famous celebrity would perform. Utter garbage! So if there were no concerts in the first place then people would not donate:/

@Drdamn
    Yea…you have a point. If Sony uses this strategy and someone donated £1000. That is beyond unexpected and great for the donation. But the person is really showing love for Sony or loyalty, if the person really want to donate £1000, he would go straight to RedCross and donate.

” If some people end up donating just because of the free theme then again, it’s money they wouldn’t have had so again, only a good thing.”

Ridiculous! That would mean promotion to donate would involve people gaining something back.

For an example EuroGamerExpo convention when it was announced, the money used to buy a ticket would go to charity GameAid. That is fine by me but I am buying a ticket to get in the convention because I love games. I shouldn’t use an excuse and say “EGE is here, ticket would go towards charity so I must help and get a ticket in return.”.

EGE way is to promote that gamers should come to their expo and if they do come, the money used to pay for the ticket would go to the charity. Therefore gamers would feel more like coming because they would get their hands on new games and the money would go to charity without their consent.

However if EGE are saying: “donate £7 to our sponsor charity and get a ticket to come to our EGE convention”, then surely they are using the Convention as a promotion so gamers should donate and get something in return.

It really should be the other way round.

17. DeathJynx

You are reading to much into it. Think of it as a bake sale. Problem solved? Nothing wrong with trying to spread the word and getting people excited to donate!

18. DrDamn

The point is not what way round it is – that matters not one bit. It matters that more money goes to those who need it. In a lovely ideal world sure, but this is the world we live in. Providing more reminders, more convenience and more ways to donate is a good thing. Also think about this, girl gets theme for donating and applies it. Friend sees it and asks where she got it from. Likes it so much she goes to get it herself. Now she may have already donated to the appeal but now she’s donated more.

19. xino

well I guess you are both right…its about trying to get people to donate.

and anyway if companies don’t use this method, people would not donate.

this is world f**ked up:/

20. Gekidami

Receive egg on their face, it would seem:

Though they’ve directly donated money since.

21. Stephany Nunneley

@19 Most people can opt out of receiving gifts for their donation. The majority of charitable or environmental organizations rely on donations to keep afloat, pay lawyers, and provide a salary to lobbyists who pressure government lawmakers, elected officials etc for them.

Unfortunately, this is the way it is. A lot of people will only donate to get the “cool” backpack or neat sweatshirt that comes as a gift when you send a particular amount. The gift usually gets bigger with the amount donated. It’s sad that you have to bribe people this way, but that is human nature for some and the nature of the beast. The money spent by these companies, unless the product makers are “donating” their merchandise as a write-off, could be spent towards the cause instead.

I donate to quite a few different organizations and I always check the opt out box on my form. I don’t need any more junk sitting around the house not being used, and I would feel a bit dirty accepting a “gift” in return for the one I am giving. Not tooting my own horn there and trying to make you think I am a “wonderful, magical” human being or anything. It’s just my opinion on the matter. We’re too obsessed with “stuff” enough as it is, imo. (goes and looks at nice boots on Macy’s website – :D )

22. FredEffinChopin

Wow, some people…. Nobody is donating for the purpose of obtaining a theme, anyone who wants to donate already had it in their mind. There is nothing wrong with one more way of doing so.

And even if one was doing it for a gift, who cares? That makes the offer of incentive a legitimate success, by definition.

For anyone sitting here criticizing other people’s motives while describing how selfless and pure you are when you give… You aren’t coming off as impressively as you imagine you are. Bragging about altruism makes the act a little less altruistic-seeming, no? If you’re really so much holier than everyone else, then shut up and donate quietly, and let others do so however they choose.

23. Lounds

Japan is a rich country, I donated to comic relief which is for african countries

24. tatsujin

Oh fuck … I’m donating just to get that theme! Omg! I love Japan and I’ll donate MOOARR!