Torchlight day one sales on XBL are best in Runic’s history

Tuesday, 15th March 2011 13:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Runic has announced that sales for Torchlight on Xbox Live have resulted in the best sale day in the game’s history.

While actual figures weren’t disclosed, per GamePolitics, the firm did share its excitement over the matter.

“We’re very excited to bring Torchlight to the 360, and have been really gratified by the positive reaction,” said Runic president Travis Baldree.

“It’s affirming to know that console players love this genre as much as we do. We think the experience translates pretty well to the couch.”

Torchlight launched March 9 as part of Live’s House Party for 1200 MS Points.

Torchlight II is slated for PC in July, with the firm stating it “would love to see” the game land on Xbox 360 as well.

1. StolenGlory

Torchlight II 360 confirmed!

2. Ireland Michael

Completely deserved.

3. StolenGlory

Yep it sure is. In fact I have lost my girlfriend to it. Like totally.

The traitorous whench! *Shakes Fist*

4. Ireland Michael

@3 Proof that it’s not always a good idea to find yourself a gaming girlfriend.

5. Blerk

Brilliant news, I’m so pleased that people actually went for it! Not sure I can wait for the 360 version of the sequel, though. Think I’ll have to be buying it for the PC.

6. Sorvin

With this kind of news in mind, MS will probably pay Runic a small fortune to make Torchlight 2 an Xbox exclusive.

7. StolenGlory

@4 Haha! Indeed!

8. Aimless

Whilst I’m glad it’s ostensibly doing well I’m not double dipping yet.

Generally the game’s transposed well to a controller — although there’s definite room for improvement — but the inexplicable performance issues on 360 irk me no end. It’s not an ugly game but there isn’t so much going on that it should slow down as much as it does.

9. FabioPal

Deserved, /respect to them! ;)

10. YoungZer0

@4: Indeed. My girlfriend likes watching me play videogames. That’s awesome. She cares for story, characters, but not for playing the game. :D

11. freedoms_stain

I wouldn’t read too deeply into this. On PC Torchlight had to build up its reputation and following, the 360 version had the benefit of a massive amount of positive hype off the back of the PC version, and a lot more press coverage pre-release as a result, in addition to Dashboard advertisement – Microsoft have to hype the shit out of everything that can be seen as exclusive in even the smallest way.

Torchlight II Xbox exclusive? Not fucking likely.

12. theevilaires

What is this torchlight it seems the XBOTS are on the rav about this. I have to youtube it I guess but whats the deals. I have some M$ points left from a 1600 card I bought a while back. Going by the pics I guess its similar to Baldurs Gate?

13. Gekidami

And you suddenly begin to see why Blizzard would be mad to not have Diablo 3 on consoles.

14. monkeygourmet

More like diablo, it’s good fun although would be better with coop which there holding back for a sequel. Still good though :)

15. Ireland Michael

@12 This “Xbot” would recommend the PC version instead, if you have the option. The 360 version is great, but the PC version has a great modding scene to it.