PS boss climbs Sony ladder as restructure shuffles divisions

Thursday, 10th March 2011 06:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PlayStation boss Kazuo Hirai has been promoted to executive deputy president of Sony, and may take over as chief executive when current incumbent Howard Stringer retires.

Reuters reports Hirai, currently head of Sony’s network products and services division (including Sony Computer Entertainment and the PlayStation Brand), will take up his new duties on April 1.

The promotion, coupled with a restructuring of Sony into two core divisions, puts Hirai at the head of over half of Sony’s operations, second only to CEO, president, and chairman Stringer.

Stringer is expected to resign his posts in 2013, leaving Hirai naturally positioned to take up Sony’ reins.

Both Stringer and Hirai have seen major improvements to Sony’s profitability during their tenures.

Restructuring
Sony has divided its operations under two broad umbrellas.

Hirai’s area of responsibility is consumer products and services, and accounts for 60 percent of Sony’s operations.

The second division, led by Hiroshi Yoshioka, covers Sony’s electronics design and manufacturing, supplying semiconductors, batteries and other components to business partners.

[image]

1. mojo

he can be president of the world, as long as he once again announces ridge racer.

good luck

2. Crysis

I like what Kaz is doing at Sony, keep it up.

3. Robo_1

This is good news. Kazuo Hirai has done a stellar job sorting out the PS3 mess which was handed to him be Ken Kutaragi. A PS4 with him at the helm from day one should be a most exciting proposition.

4. Erthazus

“I like what Kaz is doing at Sony, keep it up.”

Yeah, like for example PSP Go. Instant success. You are correct sir.

5. Herlock

Try stuffs is bad…

6. Fin

I thought the PSP Go was kinda shit myself, but whatever floats your boat!

7. Crysis

There was nothing wrong with the PSP Go, If I decided to go out & buy a brand new PSP, I would get the Go (because it’s currently $70 cheaper than the 3000 here & comes with 10 games).

Never understood all the negativity surrounding the Go myself, it wasn’t meant for current owners & they continued selling the 3000 so new PSP owners weren’t restricted to PSN, I think it’s the common case of everyone getting their panties in a twist, only complaint that I HAD about it was the original price which has now been fixed.

8. tenthousandgothsonacid

@8 Many cheap what ? I want to know before the spambots delete you !!!

9. Erthazus

“There was nothing wrong with the PSP Go, If I decided to go out & buy a brand new PSP, I would get the Go ”

Of course you will buy. Because you are a Sony Slave. Plane and simple.

- shitty design
    - Not every game is on PSN
    - cost more for a shitty machine
    - smaller screen
    - no UMD at all (Games with UMD cost less)

If Microsoft will do something like this you will puke your balls out.

10. theevilaires

Dille leaves and this retard gets promoted!? You might as well make mike bowden in charge of SONY.