Latest Edge gives Dragon Age II a 6, Homefront a 5

Thursday, 10th March 2011 14:11 GMT By Patrick Garratt

The latest Edge has given THQ big-hitter Homefront a winceworthy 5/10, as well as awarding BioWare’s Dragon Age II a 6/10 score, well below the game’s Metacritic average.

Here’s the full list of scores. The magazine’s latest issue hit subs today.

• Dragon Age II – 6
  • Motorstorm Apocalypse – 8
  • Pixeljunk Shooter 2 – 8
  • Yakuza 4 – 7
  • Spacechem – 9
  • Fight Night Champion – 9
  • Gods Eater Burst – 6

Dragon Age II releases this Friday, and currently has a Metacritic score of has 84 percent for PC and PS3, and 83 percent for 360.

THQ will be furious at the Homefront score. Lazard Capital analyst Colin Sebastian has said he expects 1.5 million units of the game to ship at launch, and Kaos and THQ have long been making noises about a sequel.

Homefront launches on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next week, with a Japanese launch at the end of April.

1. ninjanutta

ouch,homefront.thq gonna be pissed

2. Hunam

Ouch. How long till the usual calls of EDGE elitism turn up? Although, to be honest. They do miss the point a fair amount. They used to be great, but these days they are way too fad centric. And they hate the PC.

3. Heinekeno

Homefront is shit, with cherry flavor.

4. Quasar

so is dragon age 2

5. RockTwist

So they believe Dragon Age 2 is better than Dragon Age: Origins then seeing as they gave the first one a 5. Cool.

Bit confused Nintendogs + Cats got a better score than Pilotwings.

6. Erthazus

Shogun Total War. YES!

7. Grimrita

Yet they give Shogun 2 a 9? LOL God they are crap.

8. Ireland Michael

They gave the original Dragon Age a 5,and that was one of my favourite games of last year.

You don’t have to agree with all of a magazine’s scores in order to enjoy it or support it. That’s just stroking you own ego.

Completely agreed on their Bulletstorm score. I love games that have an extra layer of skill on top of the experience. Those are always my favourites.

The The Last Story score is encouraging. It’ll be nice to have a reason to turn on my Wii again.

The Homefront score doesn’t surprise me. Remember though, a 5 in EDGE is the equivalent of a 7 in most other publications. It’s an average game. It’s still playable. It just has lots of flaws.

9. Deacon

Used to love reading Edge back in the day. I don’t these days, but still tend to trust their review scores over other publications – mainly as they always seemed to have a more mature attitude and seemed less prone to submit to hype.

From things I’ve read, I’m assuming their Homefront & DA2 scores are pretty close to the mark.

10. pukem0n

it’s trendy to give a low score and stand out :P

11. Bond James Bond

Gamers still buy printed magazines?

12. Erthazus

It’s not trendy. It’s a good journalism not to be a pussy and give every fucking game a 10/10

Dragon Age 2 is crap. It’s obvious.

@7, you already played SHOGUN? GTFO

13. ManuOtaku

Now seeing that Last story got an 8 score, it gives me more reason to keep my fingers cross for a world wide release, please nintendo make it happen, that and xenoblade too. please T_T

14. Ireland Michael

@11 Some of us actually like some quality in our diet.

And this myths sound equally crazy, but some of also like reading words on a page over the glare of a computer monitor.

I know, it’s crazy isn’t it?

@12 I don’t agree with their assessment of Dragon Age or Origins. That’s not going to stop me from respecting the magazine though.

A person must have a very fragile ego if they need something to agree with them 100% in order to accept or appreciate it.

15. loki

Dragon Age II – 6 deserve
    Homefront – 5 deserve
    Bulletstorm – 9 not deserve
    TDU2 – 7 not deserve

16. Erthazus

I’m a bit harsh on Dragon Age 2, but i’m playing it right now and see so many flaws in it.

Dragon Age 1 in my opinion was better. They could fix everything, but here instead it’s a bit dumbed down and… Well…

17. Old MacDonald

The Homefront-preview at RPS was really negative too, so I’m not surprised.

18. DSB

Still not a single grade below 5 in that issue. Well done :P

I’ve heard from other reviewers that Dragon Age isn’t worth the money, but I guess it is about time to reinstall the first one anyway.

19. badboy_122

dragon age 2 is nothing I really mean nothing compared to origins
    dragon age origins was a masterpiece on PC …but it’s an entertaining game….. I’ll give it that but not as the first one

& really OUCH at THQ’s homefront >>>>>> a 5 … oh man :D

20. djhsecondnature

Love how people believe games that they haven’t played deserve particular scores.

I’d be more interested as to the reasons EDGE gave Homefront a 5 and Bulletstorm a 9, because Bulletstorm is great fun but has some pretty big issues.

21. Grimrita

@7 Only the demo and since that needed a patch and still had bugs, sums up the latest offering – the same bugfest shit to come from CA and Sega. This will be the first one that I wont be buying on launch day.

22. BloodyJoe

With 4 hours of SP and no PS-Move-Support Homefront is a quikie. One playthrough then forgotten.

DA2 is no match for Origins or even ME2!

23. frostquake

Playing DA2 and BulletStorm. Yes DA2 is dumbed down and streamlined, that way they could get it out quicker and make it more Mass Effecty… I would have liked to seen a Much More DEEPER DA2 with alot more choices, but instead they gave us a “Lite” version!! I am enjoying it though.

BulletStorm gets a 9???? Really??? I like it and I am enjoying playing it..but it definitely is a Rinse and Repeat game. So you have a Whip, so what??? You use it to throw victims on Spikes, Cactus and other items. The Upgrages really aren’t impressive at all. The Whip is a gimmick that wasn’t fully developed and had so much more potential.

But giving it a 9 is excessive IMO..but we all no GameScores are like ***holes, everybody has one, and they are ALL different!!!

24. NeoSquall

The pot must be good down there at Edge.

Yakuza 4 – 7
    Spacechem – 9

suuuuuuuuuuuuuure, they must have switched them

25. StolenGlory

I think you’ll find those scores are the wrong way around :)

26. NeoSquall

@25 indeed, you anticipated me.

27. UuBuU

Reasonable scores, from what i’ve heard.

Can’t wait for Shogun.

28. ManuOtaku

the only score i do care in my life is the “69″…… you can still argue what you want i will implement that score, while you are at it.

29. badboy_122

4 hours SP ?!!! R U serious ?
    I hope you’re wrong ….please be wrong dude :(

30. MushroomStamp

I’m enjoying the hell out of DA2 and don’t understand the hate. I MUCH prefer this over DA:O. It plays at a faster pace and the combat is lot more fun. So far the story is pretty decent but it’s the gameplay that i’m totally enjoying. I love not having to micro-manage.

31. Ireland Michael

@30 Cue a torrent of people descending to call you a casual and telling you that you don’t “get it”.

32. DrDamn

I think one of the mags pegged it at more like 5 hours – or maybe the devs themselves. The main appeal of this sort of game should be the multiplayer though, something most pre-release reviews tend to skip over or ignore altogether. A new FPS which is building on a previous title was never going to go down that well at Edge though was it?

33. thesamy

dragon 2 is not batter then dragon age 1
    like mass effect 2 is not batter then the first
    i hope biowere just exprimenting becuse if thay will keep like that
    thay will get sell only becuse PR and not a qulity games and i remmber 1 of the boss’s said thay NEED to be the best in review and look at that..

34. RockTwist

@33 Thought both were games personally, batter is tasty though.

35. Uncontested

Dragon Age 2 feels rushed… they use the same 3 dungeons/building lay outs for everything.. Nothing is unique.. there are no vastly different locations like in DA:O.. everything is in this boring city.. meh.. Much rather have waited another year for a truely ‘epic’ game like DA:O. They dumbed down the loot system.. just like in Mass Effect.. you cant even change your partners armor ffs with the lame excuse of ‘they choose what they wear’

36. DSB

Here’s an existential revelation: Gaming is casual.

There’s still a real point to be made on Biowares new style. The word I’m getting from reviewers is that more time has been put into polish than into the core game itself, and that was really my whole experience with Mass Effect 2.

It was shiny, generic and the story asked you to take a lot more than a slight leap of faith, from playing the first one.

Dragon Age 2 looks to me like a lot of tits, a lot of monster waves, and a lot of bloodied faces. Not as big of a leap as the Mass Effects, but still missing what made it great by the sound of it. That’s an estimate based on secondhand info.

The reason why Bioware is getting jumped is that they used to make a point of not wanting to be a common games developer. They were a bastion of real ambition, and now they’re just part of the “biz”. And it’s not that console games are bad, they just generally have a different focus.

37. Ireland Michael

“Here’s an existential revelation: Gaming is casual.”

Yes, and a well designed game also have difficulty options for people who want a challenge. A good game gives you the option of both.

Case in point: Dragon Age 2.

38. Phoenixblight

I am currently 20 hours in and barely into the second act. I am enjoying this game much more than I did with the original and this is coming from a guy who had 8 playthroughs on Origins. I have no issues with the party members’ armor because they do upgrade over time and not just cosmetically but with adding stats if you buy the items.
    It looks much more better than the original, the areas were bland in Dragon Age Origins how many shades of brown are there? This not the case with Dragon Age 2, the deep roads is much more pleasing to the eyes.
    Anyways I definitely foresee me replaying this game as much if not more than the original.

39. OrbitMonkey

I’d like to hear the multiplayer reviews for Homefront, they made some bold claims. I’m holding out on Dragon Age 2, not because I have a love of micromanagement, but because theirs gonna be a bucket load of dlc (2 already ffs). Ultimate edition all the way baby :)

40. YoungZer0

The score for DA2 is way too high.

I’m so extremely disappointed. It seems like Bioware is getting lazy. This is exactly what i saw happen to Mass Effect 2. 2 Steps forth, 3 steps back.

There are so many things the developer screwed up …

You never ever leave Kirkwall. You stay in this location forever. This is unforgivable.

Like with ME2, there is way too much recycling going on in this game. I played a mage, and could only wear robes. There are 100 of robes or so in this game, but they all look the same. There are like 5 different looks to them. And none of them are good, you have seen them in DA:O already. I even go as far to say that DA:O had more robes. This is again absolutely unforgivable. How hard can it be? To build-in new costumes? How is this game even call itself “Dragon Age 2″ if so much is just recycle material.

I will not waste my money on DLC just to get content that would be included from every other developer.

I was fooled by Bioware, thinking that mages would get a bit more than just the usual woman-dress, since Hawke’s standard clothes are more than just hardcore. With them spikes and stuff. But no, you only get woman-clothes. Play it for 25 hours and you get the bad-ass clothes. And that’s it. If you – like me – expected something different, be prepared to be disappointed.

You can’t change the clothes of your comrades. The Dialogsystem is a joke. You really have only 3 options. Kind, Funny (Not really funny), Tough. That’s it. Sometimes you can flirt. But there is nothing more. Did they run out of money for the voiceactors?

They created such a cool character design and gave Hawke only wussy dialog choices. Example of what i mean: Someone tells you to give him more gold. The “Tough” Option is “Pissoff” I’m not kidding. So naturally i click on “Pissoff” and what does Hawke say? “Forget it, that was not part of the deal” or something like that.

The character of Hawke, no matter what you do, is a wussy. I never really felt like i had any impact on my character. Compared to Shepard he’s completely Shallow.

What i like about this game is the combat, that really is a huge step forward. It’s flashy, bloody, real fun. But they throw so much combat at you that you just get exhausted. It doesn’t help that it’s the same enemies over and over again, in the same locations over and other again.

The reason why the developer used Kirkwall is that you can see the impact of the things you do. But that is a lie. There are no changes. You move to a new house, there are fewer beggars. That was it.

Another thing are the comrades. A feature that worked really, really well in DA:O, but was completely left out here: You talk to someone, a mage or something, you agree to help him. The new elf in your team is apparently not amused. I get rivalry points. What did i do wrong? Later in the game i find out he doesn’t like mages. Great, could have told me sooner. But he didn’t. They tend to make less comments about your actions, and if they do, you can’t answer back.

It’s like on of your members would say: “You’re an ass, Hawke.” And Hawke would just stand there, like an idiot.

Since i was playing a mage i normally didn’t really had a good way to deal with the mage-hater. So whenever i had my other mage in my team with me he would always insult him because he’s a mage. Needless to say that i saw no future for our relationship. In DA:O you once or twice would have the option to get them to leave, but i had no such option here. That’s a big problem, considering that i don’t like half of my team, especially the pirate, the ugly warrior woman and emo elf. Most of the characters are so disgustingly selfish that i just wanted to puke. Especially the two women i mentioned. They are so disgusting, i turned gay, i made sweet love to a mage. I was surprised how “adult” the whole love thing was.

Everything about this game feels half-done. The art-style. The music (especially the battle themes), the dialog, the interaction with characters, the story.

The ending is absolutely anti-climatic. Without going into detail, i must say I have never seen something like this. Compared to the ending in DA:O this is a crude joke. The ending goes like this: To be continued. The same thing we saw happen with DA:O! Remember the story of Morrigan, the one they never concluded? Be ready to experience it again.

If you really want it; wait. At least a year, by then Bioware will probably release the Complete Edition.

41. YodaJokerBacon

Anyone who gives TestDriveUnlimited2 a 7 or higher is clearly off balance. Have you played that game? It’s a complete joke and is utter shit. Seems the target audience is teenage female Sims fans..

42. G-Sama

Well boys,this is the result for a Book-length of Blah..blah from THQ about thier “next big thing”….a 5??
    I think i actually predicted that somewhere…

still,Dragon Age II desreve a 7….it’s a decent action game with some wonderfull RPG elements,However,the graphic is bad (taking in count that this is a 2011 Game!!!and all the characters are pre-rendered unlike DA:O….so why the facial graphic is not that good??)

but again,it’s better to see 5-7 scores these days than seeing the usuall Goddamn 8-9 sequence…

43. DSB

@40 Always good form to end your game with a pitch for DLC…

Really, I would’ve preferred that over the ending to Mass Effect 2. I thought the game was off on a weird, wrong tangent storywise most of the way through, but that ending completely ruined the series for me.

I was just shaking my head at the fact that someone who rates themselves as highly as Bioware does, in terms of narrative, would actually stick you with a final boss that’s so unintentionally comical.

If it had been a Power Rangers episode, maybe I could’ve bought it.

44. The_Red

Yay for BulletStorm and MotorStorm Apocalypse scores. Awesome games that deserve their great scores.

45. monkeygourmet

Bulletstorm is my currant GOTY!! :) Great game and a nice needed change!!!

46. slicker

You should specify that DA2 has a metacritic of 84 % rated by so called “professional” gaming sites while the metacritic USER score is -3.8- from over 800 reviews. Yes 3.8. Utter garbage.

A total disgrace. No wonder the gaming media is considered the crappiest of them all.

Can the gaming journalists get lower then that ?

Maybe when these so called professionals stop taking bribes for ultra favorable reviews things will get better.