Double Fine’s Trenched announced, first teaser

Thursday, 3rd March 2011 05:12 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Tim Schafer slayed ‘em at the Game Developer’s Choice Awards, but he saved the best for last: a teaser trailer announcing Double Fine’s new game, Trenched.

Joystiq reports the game, which is described as “extremely, extremely manly”, will be published by Microsoft Games Studios for Xbox Live Arcade.

While retaining Double Fine’s signature dark cartoon style, Trenched shows more mainstream appeal than the delightful but quaint Stacking and Costume Quest, concerning as it does the “elite and experienced” Mobile Trench Brigade and their war against the invading Monovision forces.

Joystiq had some screens, too, which you can see below the teaser trailer itself.

1. frostquake

YEAH….this is a great looking game, for Big, Beefy, Dumb, Lummox like me. Stacked was a little too, less blowy upy for me. I need Blood, Guts, Gore, and Machine Blowing Up real good for me…ROFL. Yes I am easy to please…but thank you Double Fine for making this just for me, because I am sure no one else out there likes games like this!!???

Besides, where is Microsoft’s Next MechWarrior Game?

2. stlthriot

Looks like it could be fun… but sadly it is only on the 360.

3. James Mac

So… Double Fine does Tower Defence?

4. Blerk

Ha ha, “extremely manly”! :-D

The trailer’s most amusing, classic Double Fine. Game itself looks like a cross between Brutal Legend and MechWarrior, interested to see how it pans out.

That’s two 360-only games they’ve announced of late. A curious turn of events, to be sure.

5. Coheno

I was hoping this was one of those THQ titles for both platforms, but i guess not! Ohh well… I gues MGS decided to pick this one up.

But I like how many cool and downloadable titles they’re making and every 3 months or so… awesome business strategy GET!

6. DSB

Kinda disappointed in the design of those aliens. They couldn’t really look any more generic than that.

Throw them in the trash, replace them with space communists, and you have a sale. Seriously, space communists. Aliens championing socialist ideology. That’s a Double Fine concept to me.

7. DeathJynx

I think this one is a pass. I don’t enjoy 360 exclusives. That, and I beat Stacking 100% in one day. Far from worth $15