Valve wanted to make a submarine game

Tuesday, 22nd February 2011 22:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Valve’s Gabe Newell has said way back in the misty dawn of the company, he and co-founder Mike Harrington tossed around the idea of a submarine game – something of a departure from sci-fi dystopias.

Speaking on The Steamcast, Newell said the untitled submariner was in the works even before the ill-fated and legendary Prospero.

“The other game that Mike and I were talking about before we’d even had anybody other than us working on – it was a submarine game,” he said.

“Mike was absolutely certain there was an opportunity to create fantastic underwater visuals and gameplay, so if people want to know the even furtherest back thing we have haven’t gotten around to shipping yet it would have to be the unnamed submarine game.”

Speaking of Prospero – the game-that-never-was, canned before Half-life launched the company – Newell said the team remain fond of the idea.

“A lot of the ideas for Prospero have sort of influenced our other games subsequently,” he said.

“Whether or not we actually go back and do that specific game I don’t know, it actually has a lot of appeal to us, we’re all sort of fond of it.

“Nothing every really dies here, it’s just a question how long until we get around to doing it. We just have so many opportunities to do so many different things.”

Thanks, CVG.

1. kupocake

Note how he talks about ‘shipping’ a submarine game.

Oh how I chortled.

2. DSB

I love the seemingly unboundless imaginations they have at Valve. They’ve pretty much been all over the place internally, and yet they’ve always ended up with an FPS concept.

Sub games rule though. As sadly broken as the Silent Hunter games are, I still love playing a nasty underwater pirate (Sure sure, I’m told I’m either German or American serving the “navy”, but those communiques didn’t say I couldn’t dream!).

Really, it’s high time someone made a nuclear sub simulation. It might only sell 5 copies, but I’d buy at least 3 of those.

3. DSB

Unboundless? No, boundless. Fucked by lack of edit yet again.

4. earlyrock

There was a sub game on the PSone. Can’t remember the name of it, but it was published by JVC for some reason!

That was…well kinda crap.

5. DEADEYES

Then Gabe should try “Archimedean Dynasty”! Very kool submarine combat game! ^^

6. thesamy

bullshit thay just want to make a game that there is a lot of space
    to put vlaves in..