Ubi DRM requirement missing from AC: Brotherhood Steam page

Thursday, 17th February 2011 10:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

The Steam page for Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood makes no mention of Ubisoft’s always-on PC DRM, leading to speculation that the controversial system’s been dropped for the game.

The need for a permanent connection is displayed clearly in capital letters on the Assassin’s Creed II page, but is conspicuous by its absence from the splash for the PC version of its sequel (thanks, Kevin).

We mailed Ubisoft about this early this morning, and were told it’s being checked internally.

The PC version releases on March 17 in the US and March 18 in the UK.

1. razvan2you

Please update this when you get an answer to your email….I realy want to know if they dropped the DRM protection….

2. Patrick Garratt

Will do.

3. Shubb9

Even though the DRM was over the top, I did appreciate the cloud-like transfer of saved game profiles. Would like that kept.

4. Soong

@3 they could also implement that making it a Steamworks game with steamcloud support. No need for the over the top nazi-drm from AC2 for that.

5. Shubb9

I just want something like that cos every time I reformat my hard drive or change my build I have to make sure I don’t forget to back up all my game saves. Thought I’d lost my both ME2 characters (both continued from ME1 to end of 2) when I switched over to an SSD boot drive. That was a nasty frantic quarter of an hour! They could make that part of the Cerberus network quite easily

6. NeoSquall

@4 They could also just make the Ubi launcher require a connection to store your saves in the cloud and not mandatory for actually playing the game.

Anyways I’m eagerly waiting to know about this lacking of DRM infos.

7. Nissanthen

I will still buy it regardless of what DRM they use, I bought Splinter Cell Conviction and the DRM didn’t really bother me, don’t get me wrong – I still think it is ridiculous to have an always on DRM for a single player experience.

I haven’t played AC 1 or 2, but AC Brotherhood, really got me interested, it seems more polished than the previous installments and the guild management component sounds like great fun!

8. DSB

No glove, no love.

Weirdly enough, the opposite applies to games!

9. NeoSquall

@7 You should buy and play the first 2 installments as well, or you’ll miss a big chunk of backstory.

10. Nissanthen

@9 Thanks for letting me know. From what I understood, newcomers would be taken through some kind of recap, but I guess that isn’t the case?

My Steam backlog is huge! :D

11. NeoSquall

@10 I don’t know if Brotherhood will feature a recap but, since AC2 didn’t have anything like that, I think this won’t have it as well.

As for the backlog: I have so many games still to play that I should stop working and play 20/24 hours a day to recap before I receive the sequels, namely Dragon Age II (gonna finish Origins and DLCs first), Yakuza 4 (gonna finish the third and the second, if I find the time) and The Witcher 2 (I still have to finish the first game).

12. NeoSquall

Oh, I forgot to mention I still have to start playing the first Crysis (and Warhaead), purchased during last Christmas on Steam.