Report – Mirror’s Edge 2 on hold, EA won’t comment

Monday, 14th February 2011 08:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

According to a machine-translated report, EA has placed Mirror’s Edge 2 on hold.

The V!chachu report apparently says that EA had shown off a demo of the sequel internally, but those who were working on it at DICE have now moved on and that the project has “stalled”.

EA told VG247 it couldn’t “comment on speculation.”

The original released in 2008.

EA Games Europe VP Patrick Soderlund confirmed at E3 in 2009 that a small team was working on a sequel.

The previous game did critically well but failed to attract decent sales.

EA boss John Riccitiello said at the end of 2009, however, that Mirror’s Edge does “deserve a sequel.”

1. Razor

Oh what :|

Just release whatever’s there as a download if they’re not going to finish it.

2. ududy

EA, make Mirror’s Edge 2. Don’t turn into an Activision that only churns out mundane shooter sequels.

3. NeoSquall

Let them work at BF3 first, then they can do whatever they want with Mirror’s Edge 2.
    Don’t get me wrong, I liked Mirror’s Edge, but I really want a new Battlefield.

4. Deepo

This makes me a sad panda. I need an alternative to shooting people and/or zombies in the face!

5. badboy_122

they are really busy working on battlefield 3 ..huh ?!!!! :D

6. Dralen

This makes me sad. I really liked Mirror’s Edge; the graphics, the music, the gameplay and it wasn’t your normal fps.

7. Ercarret

If I were to guess, based on some other stuff I’ve read from both the same source and some other Swedish sites, I’d think there were a small group that worked on making Mirror’s Edge 2 work better than the original. Trying to find a winning formula, so to speak. They didn’t, and because of that they were probably reassigned to BF3. After BF3, though, who knows? The top of DICE and EA seem to like Mirror’s Edge, from what I’ve read, so I think that the smaller group could potentially go back and try to make a ME2-prototype. Hopefully, at least.

8. Aimless

It’s a hard game to follow up.

Mirror’s Edge was about getting through levels as fast as possible, a trait that isn’t particularly conducive to a long campaign, and as you kind of need the full package to be a success in the physical market these days you’d need to find other interesting ways to bulk it out.

I suppose an asymmetrical multiplayer mode could be interesting. One side playing runners trying to drop off packages with very few offensive options, the other team Blues with guns trying to stop them. It would never top the online charts, but I could see something like that having a decent amount of success with a certain crowd.

If all else fails I think they should position a sequel as a premium download title. That would give DICE a license to cut all the chaff and make a replayable 2-3 hour experience.

9. NeoSquall

Not to mention the first one didn’t end at all.
    I can’t accept Mirror’s Edge ending as nothing more than a cliffhanger.

10. Kuwabara

Mirror’s edge, One of the only games that made u feel like u were actually there, alongside demons souls and killzone 2.

11. SplatteredHouse

This game DESERVES a sequel, people WANT a sequel, they’ve said there SHOULD BE a sequel, but still the whole thing’s clouded in uncertainty. :(

12. YoungZer0

Actually people don’t want a sequel. The first game didn’t sell very well.

However i was not one of those people. I loved the game. Just wish the characters and story would’ve been more interesting. Faith is one hell of a boring main character.

13. SplatteredHouse

Faith is one of the best main characters in a game in a long while, but the game did not need the gun focus they allowed to creep in, that was a mistake.
    It had a great aesthetic, an uncomplicated design and was really good fun, hands-on. The feel and connection to the world, was a great feature. I’d be fine with Mirror’s Edge (2) arriving as a premium download. That would be a better point of position for them, thoroughly opens up communication and information opportunities, and probably gives the designers and planners the best advantage.

14. kupocake

“The previous game did critically well but failed to attract decent sales.”

Because, it’s not like anything that was also released by EA in the same quarter of 2008 was a slow burner that had a sequel a week ago that sold a gazillion copies. I mean, VG247 are even linking to an article that mentions both franchises by name. And they both sold Two Million Copies.

I’d accept the excuse that they simply don’t know how to improve on the myriad of problems with the original, but saying no one wants a sequel is patently bullshit.

15. Blerk

Bah.

16. Teabag

MEdge was a great game but it was frustrating, not because of the difficulty, but because the controls would get wonky. Otherwise, i love parkour and would want MEdge 2 be made. However,if the controls are not improved upon, then rather it be stalled.

I don’t know why EA would stall it though. It’s a great franchise, and very original like Aassassin’s Creed. They can do great things with it.

17. YoungZer0

@13: If by best you mean: Mediocre. She was boring, and so was the story. “This City is too clean, i hate it!”

I think Mirror’s Edge 2 would work best with an in-game Editor ala FarCry 2. That would be fantastic. Sharing and Caring Maps.

18. YoungZer0

@16: Played it on PC and had no control issues.

19. OrbitMonkey

Bollocks *waits for Brink*

20. Hunam

Loved the original. Absolutely gutted about this news.

21. Mourinho

ME was one of the best games ever for me. I loved the gameplay, amazing music and superb design of the city.
    I hope that sequel won’t be much different to satisfy mass market needs (very easy, more shooting, dirty city). If so – i don’t want ME2.

22. DSB

Does that mean that BF3 is behind production targets already?

23. Hunam

I doubt it, I’d imagine the project got shut down and the staff were moved onto BF3 as they began building their team for full production.

24. daytripper

i found some parts of the game frustrating probably due to the fact i sucked at it, some of the missions drove me insane at times but i still loved it for its look, music and characters. it was a beautiful game in my opinion and despite being frustrated i would love a sequel.

25. No_PUDding

Rented it out finally.

The controls aren’t flawless, and the level design is hard to interpret without massive glaring red objects.

And you don’t want to mix, puzzle-exploration with chase scenes, it just ends up in repeated trial and error.

Also, the combat is terrible. If there wasn’t a more satisfying alternative, why even include it?

Make the guards easier to immobilise, or disarm. Make them easier to bypass. The game strives on momentum, don’t let them take the momentum from you.

It’s ridiculous a ranged forms of offence, like guns, should slow Faith. It’s realistic, but it’s not at all fun!

But I love the aesthetic and the best parts of Mirror’s Edge are really a new fresh and awesome gaming experience, I wish they could make it all ‘the best’.

26. Anders

You are not supposed to fight the guards, you are supposed to run past them. With the exception of the very last level, more or less every guard encounter in the game can be avoided by choosing alternative routes.

Absolutely terrible news, BTW. I loved the first game and played through it several times.