No open beta for Brink, confirms Splash Damage

Thursday, 10th February 2011 11:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Splash Damage director Richard Ham has confirmed Brink will not get an open beta before its May release.

He explained that the studio wanted to keep any beta testing closed to polish the game rather than open it up for promotional purposes.

“They’re incredibly important, but they also need to be run correctly,” Ham, the game’s director, told NowGamer.

“Until you put a game into the hands of hundreds of players, all with their own ideas and approaches to gameplay, you can never truly know everything you need to know in order to get it ‘just right’.”

Ham continued: “At the same time, with some betas being used purely as marketing tools, some players treat a beta the way they would a demo, and they expect everything to be fully working and polished.”

Splash Damage held an open beta for its last title, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory. But Ham insists it needs to be kept internal this time.

“We certainly saw some of that during the public beta phase of our last game, Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars.

“For Brink, we consciously decided to keep the beta private and put it in the hands of folks with prior beta testing experience.”

It ends speculation as to whatever or not there would be one. Last year, Splash Damage CEO Paul Wedgwood told VG247 at a pre-E3 Bethesda event in France the studio was “still talking” about a taster.

“We’re still talking about what the right thing to do is there. In terms of project status, we’re pre-beta, so we’re doing a lot of balancing, working out what works, what doesn’t, cutting things, that kind of thing,” he said at the time.

“Probably when we get to around beta, we’ll make that decision, then Bethesda will make any announcements.”

More recently, Bethesda’s VP of PR Pete Hines told us that it would leave it up to the London developer if it would hold an open beta.

“It’s something we’ve looked at, something we’ve talked about, but we don’t view those things to be the same thing. We need to do testing for testing purposes,” he said to VG247 in a recent interview.

“If the team feels like they need to open it up to a wider group or to a larger open beta, that’s what they’ll do. If the team feels that the input and feedback they’re already getting from the testing we’re already doing is sufficient, that’ll be that.”

Nevermore. Brink releases on May 17 in the US and May 20 in the UK for PC, PS3 and 360.

1. Hunam

That’s a bit of a shame, I think Brink is one of those games that could benefit from something like that so players can get an idea of how the game works as it’s something a little different in the shooter space.

2. Johnny Cullen

Bum. :(

3. Blerk

Yeah, I like the style but I’m not sure about the game itself. Unlikely to risk buying it if there’s no way to try it first. How about a demo if there’s no beta?

4. AHA-Lambda

demo then?? =/

This game needs to get in peoples hands somehow otherwise it’ll bomb releasing the same day as la noire.

Lets just say personally this was a day one purchase until that la noire vid yesterday =s

5. strikkebil

i doubt i will buy this game if theres no demo/beta. i dont know what it is. the dev diaries doesnt explain well either.

6. back_up

Brink need open beta and demo both otherwise inspite of being good it will flop in sales and La noire,Red Faction,inFamous 2 are also releasing in may
    If developers wanted to win some gamers they will have to win it through beta and demos.

7. OrbitMonkey

A demo would be a really good move… Or just spend a fuck load on marketing, cuz they really need to get this into the public concious.

8. Johnny Cullen

@7 There’s no doubt Bethesda can market a game. I expect them to go nuts on Brink like they have for Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

9. Gekidami

I hope this dosnt mean that it’ll launch with a load of balance problems…

10. Hunam

I don’t doubt the quality of the game, Splash Damage are a great group who live and breath shooters. They were rooted in the hyper competitive mod scene back in the Quake 3 days.

I totally agree with everyone else on this needing a demo, specially as I didn’t realise it’s coming the same day as L.A. Noire, which well… is kind of a big deal.

11. M2Kx

And again, another dev makes this mistake…

12. Dralen

@4 Yeah that vid had me sold too. We haven’t even played it and everyone wants it.

13. NeoSquall

@8 I wonder when they’ll do it, since May is only 2 months and half away…

14. EscoBlades

I love the sense of entitlement from some of you.

Open betas do not need to happen…ever. If a developer or publisher choose to put one on, so be it.

Neither MW2 or Black Ops had an open beta, yet i’m sure many of you flocked to buy it Day 1.

It isn’t your given right to have a beta for anything…..and a publisher or developer not having one isn’t a monumental mistake.

The closed beta for Brink went excellently, and i can assure you this game will be awesome.

15. Hunam

There is no ‘sense of entitlement’ at all if you even read the comments. We are all basically saying that without a demo most people wont give the game a second look. We are all super interested in Brink but it’s still in the maybe sector and we all agree a demo would really help in selling the game to most of us who are on the fence about it.

16. M2Kx

One worthless comment there @14 :/

If you look back and see how shooter became without a beta, than maybe you’ll change your mind.

17. EscoBlades

@15: I perfectly understand. But with the language used by Ham in that interview, i honestly doubt we’ll see a demo. It hasn’t been ruled out though.

@16: I’ve played tons of shooters that did not have any sort of beta, which turned out fine. Brink has had a beta, a closed, internal one on the PS3. And the test was conducted by competent testers, all with previous experience in that field. I’m pretty confident Brink will be fine.

18. M2Kx

`I’ve played tons of shooters that did not have any sort of beta, which turned out fine.`

Oh really? Than you didn’t play Black Ops or Modern Warfare 2 or Bad Company 2 in the past two years? Not to mention far greater disasters like Far Cry 2… I don’t know what this guys are doing while their “closed beta sessions” but nothing good turns out after it, that’s for sure :(

19. EscoBlades

No…i didn’t buy Crap Ops.

I’m not a sheep.

20. M2Kx

I’m sorry, I thought we have a conversation here :D

21. StolenGlory

Just to make sure i’m reading this right (my glasses are a bit crap right now it appears), are you implying that Bad Company 2 is a disaster?

22. NeoSquall

@21 BC2 had an Open Beta, too.

23. M2Kx

@21: Nope, but it had/has massive ballancing problems, atleast on consoles ;)

@22: Also for consoles?

24. M2Kx

Just found out in my own, there was no beta for consoles ;)

25. StolenGlory

Ah cool, was just checking. I also agree on the balancing issues – BFBC2: Vietnam is especially crippled in this regard :/

26. M2Kx

Don’t talk about Vietnam, ballancing is its minor problem. I could vomit everytime I try to mark some enemies and it just doesn’t work >_<

27. Hunam

Yeah there was, on the PS3, and the Demo was used as a beta too.

28. NeoSquall

I personally found Vietnam as the best part of BC2 of late.
    Man I can live everyday without the motion sensor or a 4x scope for my assault rifle, just let me grab my Garand and cap some ‘congs.

29. NeoSquall

I enjoyed Vietnam so much I don’t even care anymore that I couldn’t use my b-day promo code on the retarded EA Store for reasons I didn’t fully understand. Maybe they didn’t want me to save those freaking 3 euros.

30. Redh3lix

Just hope those that DO get into the beta aren’t COD fanatics, otherwise the game is ruined from the off.

31. guapo

@ 30 How do you figure?? Last time I checked brink is all about running and shooting, something near and dear to every cod players heart. Don’t be mad because you got owned, happens to the best of us :). Seriously though brink looks awesome but i worry that i won’t have anyone online to play against. Fingers crossed for at least a demo to get the word out.

32. NeoSquall

@31 I think he was referring about all those perks and killstreaks bullshit that exploded after the first Modern Warfare.

33. guapo

Also bfbc2 did have a demo on both consoles that served as a beta (port valdez), it was complete shit though(it was a beta). Thankfully the final product was much better. I’m hoping I can get my run n’ gun fix with brink because i’m starting to get sick of cod. Waiting for battlefield 3….

34. DSB

Good call.

Developers should stick with qualified testers when they need to do some trials, not just every idiot with a Fileplanet account. A proper QA team can do twice the work in half the time, anyway.

I think it’s a better idea long term as well. For one, you won’t have millions of gamers out there who’ve already seen your game when it comes out, so you maintain that anticipation, and you also don’t risk getting a bad rap on the final product for showing people an unfinished build that they obviously won’t understand.

35. NeoSquall

@34 Problem is, in the last years QA teams have been found too costly for money hungry developers and publishers, hence they started the outrageous practice of releasing unfinished betas and waiting for (paying) user feedback before fixing them in a decent shape.

36. DSB

As far as I know most high end developers still use QA teams.

You won’t get very much in terms of informed, concise feedback from an open beta crowd. Imagine how many completely useless tickets they’d have to rifle through to find something they could actually use. I strongly doubt that that’s efficient in terms of time and money spent.

Just consider how many people file tickets about percieved cheating or exploits every time they can’t handle getting outplayed.

The only real value I see is some quick and dirty stress testing, some hardware compatability testing, and some fairly inexpensive publicity.