Black Swan composer to score music for Mass Effect 3

Thursday, 10th February 2011 07:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Black Swan composer Clint Mansell has confirmed he is scoring the soundtrack to Mass Effect 3.

Mass Effect 3

In development at BioWare.

Will release this holiday season for PC, 360 and PS3.

ME3 is the final chapter in a three-part trilogy that began in 2007 for 360 only.

First teaser trailer showed off London being invaded by the Reapers, as seen above.

Speaking in an interview with The Quietus, Mansell confirmed he was working on the anticipated BioWare title.

“I’m doing a video game this year actually. Mass Effect 3,” he told the site when asked if he was working on a game.

As for what Mansell, who also scored Requiem for a Dream, is doing with the score, he’s still figuring it all out.

“As I was saying about Public Enemy and re-working old hip-hop tunes for Requiem, and kind of re-working old ballet tunes for Black Swan, with something like Mass Effect you’re more like a DJ, with all these elements,” he said.

“You’ve got the holding pattern, then the big explosion where you need the score to kick in. Then you need to take it off on a tangent. You’ve got all these different elements that change depending on what the player does.

“You have to figure out an overall symphony, but be able to break it down into component parts. You can bring the pain when required.”

This’ll be Mansell’s first work in the series. Jack Wall had been the previous composer in the series.

Mass Effect 3 releases this holiday season for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Dralen

I’m not sure what to think of that. I really loved the music from the last two games. Why on earth they had to splash the cash out on this guy I don’t know?

2. KaRmAChAnG

Having watched Black Swan last night. I think this is a good decision. The score made the film that more intense and I’m sure he’ll just add to the atmosphere and experience Mass 3.

3. Khakimzhan

fail – sam hullick and jack wall were really great

In ME2, Faunts was greatly missed – now, even worse

4. orakaa

I loved Mass Effect music, especially on the second episode (the themes of “Legion” and “Normandy reborn” are amongst my favorite).

But I also love Clint Mansell’s work. The guy’s brilliant and I’m eager to see what he could bring to the Mass Effect franchise

5. GaiusMarius

You have to remember that Mansell has to work within the current musical structure of the game. The ME theme will be the same and he will have to reuse a lot of the old stuff. Of course he may arange things diffrently, bring new music into the fold where appropriate and so on. But in the end it will be something akin to the “Superman Returns” movie, when it comes to music. Even if John Williams did not score that movie, the main thematical music he established in the previous movies was used.

6. baps

Excellent news, who knows we might get a surprise Pop Will Eat Itself track in there :)

7. YoungZer0

Can’t make up my mind about that. I loved Mansell’s Moon score, but i still need to hear a few samples. Just to see what kind of direction he’s going to approach.

I was actually quite disappointed by the Mass Effect 2 Score. Most of the Tracks started with an annoying bang. It lost a lot of it’s charme.

Here’s a track from the Moon Score which might convince people that he’s the right man for the job:

8. AHA-Lambda

^ I fucking LOOOOVVVVEEE that movie!!! =D

9. Aimless

The Fountain has one of my favourite soundtracks so this is great news as far as I’m concerned.

I believe Mass Effect has already made use of four different composers, what’s one more?

10. Malmer

Good news! That’s all I manage to say while picking up the pieces of my exploded head.

11. onlineatron

Oh fuck… Shit just got REAL.

Clint Mansell has scored several of my favourite movies. Moon, Requiem, etc..

I love Jack Wall’s score for the last two games, but Clint is in another league entirely!

12. DSB

Moon would’ve been a far lesser movie without that soundtrack. Loved it.

Reminds me of the music in Minecraft.

13. Khanivor

Clint Mansell knows the score!

14. Isaaclarke37

Mansell is an awesome choice.