Dawn of War II – Retribution beta open to all Dawn of War owners

Thursday, 10th February 2011 18:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ has announced that it’s opening up the Warhammer40,000: Dawn of War II – Retribution beta to anyone who has bought a Dawn of War game through Steam or has registered one through their Steam account.

In addition, gamers can get access to the beta by registering on the Dawn of War Community site and following the instructions under the Beta Key giveaway tab.

Featuring all six multiplayer races including the new Imperial Guard faction, the beta will run through the end of February to test the new Steamworks network and matchmaking features and help balance the multiplayer mode. All new units for each race will be available in the beta along with the new multiplayer maps that will ship with Retribution.

The Dawn of War II – Retribution multiplayer beta is currently planned to run until midnight on February 24, at which point the developers will take all feedback into account to create a day-zero balancing patch.

Announced back in August, Retribution is slated for release on PC March 1.

1. Heinekeno

Maybe they should include COH buyers. As I didn`t ever play DOW2, but i know it is the same mehanics and game engine.

2. Crysis

The CoH formula doesn’t work well with the W40K Universe IMO, the original DoW is in my top 5 favourite games of all time, DoW2 doesn’t even budge my top 100.
    I truly hope DoW3 will have the traditional Age of Empires feel to it again, that’s why I loved the original, Age of Empires was one of my favourite game at the time then my mate showed me the first expansion-Winter Assault, I loved the sci-fi X AoE feel to it, didn’t even know what Warhammer was at the time.
    I still won’t touch the table top, but now i love the W40K universe.

3. Kalain

I actually think that it does suit it since the tabletop game has a heavy emphasis on cover.

I prefer DOWII over DOW I, but they have still got nice things about each of them

4. Grimrita

@ 2
    I totally agree. DoW 2 was one of THE biggest let downs of last year. I already have Company of Heroes, I dont want another one, in a Warhammer frock!

I cant believe Relic would strip away everything that made the original DoW such a success and release this lame duck. The fact that there are hardly any matches online (20-30 max) proves the mistake that have made, since the original had hundreds – even after 3 years!

5. Crysis

No doubt that they should have made it more tactical, but completely eliminating base building was a huge downer for me personally, now the game feels completely linear, I don’t mind the campaign & The Last Stand, but resent the MP.

6. Crysis

@4, I actually find it surprising that the Dark Crusade lobby normally has more players than Soulstorm, guess people like exploiting the imbalances in DC but I’ve been playing Soulstorm long enough to know that no race is clearly superior, for every strategy there is always a counter for every race.