Dark Souls to last 60 hours, no demo or DLC planned

Wednesday, 9th February 2011 08:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

From Software’s confirmed in an interview with 4Gamer that Dark Souls will last up to a massive 60 hours playtime.

Demon’s Souls playtime was roughly in the area of 30-40 hours, according to comparisons made by director Hidetaka Miyazaki.

He further confirmed that there won’t be a demo for the game, with Miyazaki saying he’s “not all that great at making demos.”

He also added that no DLC was planned for now although if From could do something intriguing online with the Dark Souls engine, additional DLC might become available. He also said that if DLC were to happen, it wouldn’t charge for further items.

Dark Souls, the spiritual sequel to Demon’s Souls, releases by the end of this year for PS3 and 360 from Namco Bandai.

Thanks, D’Toid.

1. Gromple

Can’t wait for this. If there’s any game I’m looking forward to, it’s this one. Don’t need DLC or a demo, as long as it’s as good as Demon Souls.

2. orakaa

Seeing how good Demon’s Souls was, it’s not a problem for me: it will be a day one purchase.

And thank god to see a publisher NOT planning any DLC and instead focusing on creating/having a FULL game from the start

3. back_up

360 idiots got owned they thought DLC will be timed exclusive for three shitty just like most of the games

4. Blerk

No demo? Boo!

5. BloodyJoe

For my Demon’s Souls Plat I needed 120 hours! Completed it after 90 hours, so 40h for Demon’s Souls? Man they are not enjoying their own games!

Glad to hear Dark Souls is a bigger game! I will love it!

6. orakaa

@5: I think he meant by that “40h for ONE playthrough”. It is true that, to get the platinum, you need many playthroughs (some quicker than others).

Anyway, it is one game where the time spent on it really didn’t matter to me : I enjoyed every single bit.

7. DrDamn

There were always rumours of DLC for Demon’s Souls because of the extra broken portal in the Nexus. It’s good that they have confirmed now that there won’t be any or that it will be free as that means if it makes sense to import then you can do so without concerns (at least on the PS3 – maybe on the 360 too).

8. Telepathic.Geometry

This is getting an awful lot of press suddenly, isn’t it…

9. Michael O’Connor

@8 Can’t complain about a good thing.

10. BloodyJoe

@6: One Demon’s Souls playthrough is less than 1hour! ;) watch on youtube!

11. Kuwabara

i wish theyd change the fucking name

12. Blerk

Why?

13. OrbitMonkey

@11 because of the Bleach ds game?

14. jldoom

I’m getting excited and I don’t know why. I din’t even get through the entire DS campaign yet! Started playing other games I also had in my inventory. There was always a rush though when I was saw the message on the screen pop up that I was getting invaded lol.