Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood takes home 2010 WGA crown

Sunday, 6th February 2011 21:38 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A hushed silence on stage. The gentle fumble of the envelope. The crowd draws its breath as one, and… Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood walks away with the 2010 Writer’s Guild of America award for videogame writing.

Ubisoft’s third exploration of the science-fiction conspiracy meta-plot of the Assassin’s Creed universe beat out Fallout: New Vegas, God of War III, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Singularity, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II to claim top prize.

This is serious props for the team involved; congratulations to Patrice Désilets, Jeffrey Yohalem, Corey May, Ethan Petty, Nicholas Grimwood, and Matt Turner, good Montreal folk all.

It’s another feather in the cap of series lead creative Patrice Désilets, whose decamp to the newly-established THQ Montreal has shocked franchise fans.

WGA Videogames Writers Caucus chair Micah Wright recently defended the controversial awards from criticism based on erroneous understanding of the membership requirements and submission protocols.

Thanks, D’Toid.

1. AHA-Lambda

given the other candidates its the only deserving winner anyway

(apart from maybe new vegas but i havent played that yet)

2. Dark

Hey im just wondering , does any of you know about this?

3. Crysis

@2, I thought that #3 was the final of the main story, unless they’re moving on from Kratos.

4. Dark

@3 hmmm moving the series onto a new mythology would be cool :D

5. Crysis

Maybe there will be more depth, not a huge fan of button mashing & QTE, I like to explore in an open world, discover new things, something like a more mature Fable would be cool, but if there is anything like that, I haven’t noticed it. I’m assuming a majority of those kind of open world-action titles are only on PC ;\

6. back_up

European developers rules

7. Johnny Cullen

@2 Bullshit, basically. :)

8. revolting

Deserved award, in my opinion. Before playing Brotherhood, I expected it to be little more than a recycling of old AC2 parts, a cash cow forcibly inserted into the series for all the wrong reasons.

Consider my words eaten and humble pie devoured; it’s amazing. I’m still playing it now (although due to conflicting releases, I hadn’t started until mid-january.) and it’s pretty much the most fun I’ve had in a game in a long time. The AC series really does get much better with each chapter, and while Brotherhood may not be AC3, it’s definitely above and beyond the AC2.5 many were proclaiming, myself included.

9. Blerk

Must pick Brotherhood up, still haven’t.

This is the award that a bunch of developers refused to enter, right?