Court grants Sony a temporary restraining order against GeoHot

Thursday, 27th January 2011 19:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3slim4

The Northern California courts have granted Sony a temporary restraining order against GeoHot.

The restraining order forbids George Hotz from handing out or linking to the jailbreak which exposes the back door to PS3. He is also not allowed to “help or encourage,” others to jailbreak, or hack into any other Sony system.

He is not allowed to post any information he found while hacking, either.

This order, and the rules attributed to it, apply to fail0verflow as well. Each party has been ordered to hand over their computers and storage devices to Sony’s lawyers if the equipment was used to create the jailbreak.

No judgment has been handed down yet. However, the restraining order was granted due to the court agreeing the jailbreak could cause Sony further harm as the actual court case progresses.

Engadget notes, those outside of fail0verflow and GeoHot with the hacks in-hand will probably still hand it out to others.  It’s already all over the Internet, after all.

The Engadget link has the actual court documents attached if you would like to give them a read.

1. PsychoboyUK

piracy does not pay guys

2. evilashchris

The stable door has been blown all over the internet, and the horse has fucked off into the middle distance.

Can’t understand their reasoning here really.

3. Gama_888

i didnt see this posted earlier but it might have just got lost in psp2 rush
    anyhoo sony fixed this shit, kinda?

4. NeoSquall

@2 It’s a legal starting point for suing other piracy groups

5. Erthazus

@3 and it’s broken :)

6. Mike

Heh. Apparently you can now DL a BD game, whack it on USB, put it in your PS3, and play it perfectly.

Damage has unfortunately already been done.

*buys a PS3*

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Unfortunately, Sony will get their ass handed to them. GeoHot didn’t do anything illegal, he’s not with the pirates.

Also, if you recall, same thing happened when GeoHot jailbroke apple’s iphone, Apple sued…and lost.

“Each party has been ordered to hand over their computers and storage devices to Sony’s lawyers if the equipment was used to create the jailbreak.”

LMFAO. You’ve got to be kidding me. It’s personal property. They broke into a machine they purchased and they own. Lawyers are having a field day with this one. Go down in history it will……mmmmmmm………yes

8. lexph3re

Well there’s also the fact that sony has the exact coding of the hacks. Which means they know what to look for. I can see a update with a virus soon on cracked ps3s. Lol (probably more fantasy then reality) none the less it’ll be awesome to hear a plethora of hackers warning people online not to download this patch because it is a fox die equivalant virus that attacks the coding of the hacks.lol ahh sony you and kojima keep my imagination going.

9. TheWulf

@1: Stop trolling. This was never about piracy.

@6: Really? I’ve heard it’s possible to play BRD films via USB, but I’ve heard nothing about pirated games via a USB device. Do you have a source for this?

Edit #1: Sigh.

@8: Right…

“Well there’s also the fact that sony has the exact coding of the hacks. Which means they know what to look for.”

Because a virus is the proper response to someone who just wanted OtherOS back on their system. Yes. Let’s punish people for wanting their rights.

You know, in another thread I mentioned how people pick on indie devs and the little guy in general, but whenever it’s one of the big guys it comes down to ‘Please Sir. Please. May I have another Sir? Thank you, Sir.

It’s hierarchical nonsense and nothing more. Where is your dignity? Really.

But anyway – people have already figured out how to stop Sony from checking if a console has custom firmware or not. So at this point your scenario is unlikely, anyway.

But really, why hate on people for wanting their rights? Some of us don’t want to bend over.

10. lexph3re

Nah, user agreements for cellphones are different from consoles. I’m pretty sure geohot and them didn’t research before they hacked the ps3. If the courts told them to hand it over then they must have proven that the property indeed still belongs to sony. And besides there’s a difference in what you do of your own accord and blantantly proving to the world that not only can you do it but showing others how to do it. It was a ego thing for these guys. And, I have always been taught as a fighter if someone pushes you to the brink… beat dat ass!

11. Mike

@9 I know of people who are doing it.

12. Psychotext

“This order, and the rules attributed to it, apply to fail0verflow as well. ”

…except fail0verflow aren’t based in the US, and the US courts have absolutely no power over them. Much as they’d like to have.

That aside, this is just one step of a looooong process.

13. lexph3re

To say its your rights is to say it was a freedom to begin with. If you want rights make your own console. I.e the pc(PERSONAL computer) otherwise stop acting like you own someone elses creation that they pretty much let you see. I for one don’t see the ps3 as “my property”. Yes I paid for it, but I didn’t create it. I think me paying for it just seperates me from the asshole who might want to take the device away from me I.e another person

14. ninjanutta

ive got two ps3s,and i buy my games.one is using custom firmware and yes,its very possible to play games from a usb drive,ive got a TB usb connected with my backups running.before you call pirate and all the bollox,i backed up my bought games and its keeps my bluray lazer nice and safe,also i can play my emulators.my other ps3 is for playing online,ive no interest in playing hacked games/cheats or all that stupid stuff online,i just want to do what i like with what i pay a load of money for,infact sony have done well out of me because i would only have one ps3 if this was not possible.

15. Mike

It’s also possible to FTP games from your PC to the PS3.

16. lexph3re

Unbelievably, I see that ^ as responsible hacking. Smh wtf lex?

17. Cygnar

@Dr.Ghettoblaster

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) makes it illegal to bypass any protective measurement that effectively controls access to copyrighted content. It does not matter that Hotz is “not with the pirates.” It does not matter that he claimed the crack was to enable Linux. It does not matter how many times anyone repeats the word “homebrew.” The illegal act is bypassing the security measures. If the Court finds that Hotz did this, it will have found that Hotz violated US federal law. He escaped DMCA liability for the iPhone only because the US Copyright Office issued exemptions that apply only to cell phones. See these exemptions here: http://www.copyright.gov/1201/ . The Playstation 3 is not a telephone, and so it does not fall under exemptions that allow telephones to connect to other service carriers, for example.

The DMCA also prohibits the distribution of tools that allow others to circumvent protective measures. This is one of the claims Sony will want to pursue in its complaints against both Hotz and the “fail0verflow” group.

As for the seizure of personal property, this is not illegal, historic, remarkable, or even out of the ordinary. The parties are engaged in “discovery,” which is a part of nearly every lawsuit wherein parties are required to share evidence with one another before further hearings or trial. It happens routinely as a part of civil and criminal lawsuits every day in every state of the USA, which is where Sony brought this suit.

I appreciate that you have opinions about whether the acts that lead to this suit were illegal. But your opinions do not have much value when there are laws, rules, and precedents in case law that can tell us which activities are illegal or not. You may have all the opinions you want, but a judge will rely on law and fact to decide the case, not gut reactions about who is in the right.

18. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@ 17
    While your information may or may not be accurate, your style and delivery is certainly that of a pompous ass.

19. hitnrun

@TheWulf: Actually, I think it’s just simple fanboyism, not big guys vs. widdle guys. The console wars run deep, and your average console gamer doesn’t share the same premises as someone who can tell a CPU fan from their —hole.

@7: Actually, GeoHot very possibly did violate the law. That this is a patently ridiculous statement doesn’t make it untrue, since the relevant law is patently ridiculous. It’s all a matter of how the courts choose to implement the law and caselaw. ex 1, 2

As for why they’re doing it when it’s far too late, that’s obvious: for the benefit of a public execution.

20. lexph3re

Damn talk about bringing a nuke to a fist fight cygnar.lol good show though, I like seeing the mushroom cloud of doom

21. lexph3re

I do like my public mutilations.*puffs cigar and shakes head*

22. Cygnar

Cool story, bro.

I think it would be nice if blog commentators tried to do more research before taking sides about legal issues. Not that vg247 is particularly bad; Kotaku is positively rampant with people who think their opinions formed in 15 minutes are better than those of experts who spend their whole lives learning and testing the boundaries of the law.

No one has to be an expert to voice an opinion. But there are more honest ways to give one than to baselessly declare that a judge will decide this way, or that the law requires that conduct. Whatever your opinion, go look and see if it is an opinion you can defend. There is plenty of information out there, and it is only a Google search away.

23. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I can state my opinion without having to “go and research it on google” first. Who the fuck has time for that. I’m at work, i read an article, I state my opinion, I move on. Sometimes good discussions come of it. Sometimes bad. You don’t like it or disagree? Cool bro. Happens all the time. I’m not going to do a fucking research paper on legal rights with regards to this subject matter in fear of not being 100% accurate.

Take it or leave it. Peace.

24. furby

@23:
    “^ @Cygnar – Word of advice. Don’t ever tell anyone how to post their opinions in a comments section. ”

Erm, you realise that by saying that you’ve just comitted the crime you’ve advised against. Bit of a failure of perspective there.

Also, can anybody smell the same stench of rampant 360 fanboy / software piracy advocate coming from a couple of posts in this topic? 2006 was 5 years ago matey, get back under your bridge.

25. NinjaMidget

@Dr.Ghettoblaster

Chill out man, just because he stated legal fact in a blog post doesn’t mean you have to go ape shit on him because he delivered it in a way that hurt your itty bitty feelings!

26. Uncontested

Hey “Ghettoblaster”

You’re a faggot.

Hows that for pompous? Bitch boy.

27. Kuwabara

i got one ps3 hacked so i can play pirated copies of all cod games and future titles. I wouldnt pay for games like that.

28. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Clearly, you’re not even worth another 15 seconds of my time Cygnar (aka Uncontested). That’s what I think of you. No empty insults needed. See how that works?