CD Projekt: The Witcher 2 “designed with console in mind”

Thursday, 27th January 2011 22:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110128witcher2

Despite coyly refusing to officially confirm a console port of the ravishing RPG, CD Projekt has confirmed that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings was built with that intention.

“You can play The Witcher 2 with joypad – it’s implemented. The whole interface is designed with console in mind, in fact,” CD Projekt RED’s Jan Bartkowicz told IGN.

“It’s the first console project we would like to do,” he explained, adding that the console port is actually already playable in part.

“We need to do it in house. In the end we decided not to do it outsourced. We’ve been running some tests, and putting a small part of the game just to make sure we’re not cheating anyone.”

At this point it is customary to ring the death knell over PC gaming and mourn platform-exclusive development, but CD Projekt’s firm commitment to the PC and the quality of its title suggests we’ll see no compromise in the final product – even if you can play it with a controller.

1. Moonwalker1982

Daaaamn, already playable in part? Pleaaaase finish it, i want this for the 360 and/or PS3!!!!!

2. Aton

Oh crap…

3. ic4ruz

Umm he says the interface was designed with consoles in mind, not the whole game.

A bit misleading, don’t you think Brenna ? And unproffesional, I guess VG247 is just desperate for hits.

4. I Am A Troll

@3 Ahem, excuse my language… Shut the fuck up,you cunt.

5. TheWulf

I was going to say what 3 was saying, but without the insult, as I think that it wasn’t Brenna’s intention to mislead. Reporters report and they do so in a way that catches interest, you can hardly blame them for that. Now if Brenna had said ‘primarily in mind’, then I would’ve had something to say about that. But she didn’t.

3 does have a point, though – PC fans need not go nuts because what this means is that they’re laying down the framework in the backbone of the game to make it portable, and will likely change the UI for a console release at a later date. At the moment, it’s still a PC title and will likely be moddable like the original Witcher was.

The upside, of course, is that our console friends will get to enjoy what’s become one of my favourite RPG franchises. All the better, eh?

6. Erthazus

Brenna, ahem, he said about interface.

7. back_up

i knew it will come to PS3 may be 6 months or year later

8. BULArmy

I like when journalist write something in the headline but it turns out to be completely different when you look at what it is said. The Witcher 2 made the combat more action oriented which for most people is not bad and cut of the 3 different sword style. It is not so hard to make it work with controller, heck even the original is very playable with controller. The game will not be dumbed down because it is one of the most anticipated PC game and if the PC fans are disappointed they may never see the day of releasing the console version or even another game.

9. silk

So long as I can config the controls and set graphics to max on PC, I don’t care how “console friendly” it is. If that comes at the cost of said features though, it’s off my “must have” list and on the “bargain basement” one instead.

10. Keivz

I didn’t feel misled by the title one bit, and I’m generally readily po’d by that sort of thing.

And I love having the option to play with a controller.